Using Hex for terminal

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
bernardo
Born on Board

Hi, I have a question about Hex terminal editor. I read the instructions but understood very little. I set up the computer terminal with Forge script zero and then opened Hex to create a terminal so that gets me out of the mission:

;
#TERMINAL 0
#FINISHED
#END
#ENDTERMINAL 0

Now how do I import the terminal file created with Hex into the scenario file? I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Thank you for your help. This is very complicated for me.
The Man
Vidmaster

I don’t understand what you’re trying to do; your description of it doesn’t really make any sense. A terminal file is just merged in with Forge Atque; you don’t import it into an existing scenario. Hex creates terminal text files that contain the terminal script, which you then place in the appropriate part of a split map folder.

It’s been a hot minute since I last used Forge, but if memory serves, if you have L00.Ne cede malis as your first level, then you’ll want to save the terminal file as T00.Ne cede malis. Then you’d merge that with Forge. (You can also edit the terminals in merged maps with Hex, but don’t do that – if it screws up, you won’t have a backup.)

But Forge is terrible. Oh, it was the best thing I’d ever seen in 1996, but it’s 2021 now. It’s not literally the worst program you can use to make maps these days (at least it’s not fucking Pfhorte 2), but it’s still an objectively terrible choice. How terrible? Let’s count some of the ways.
  • Forge restricts you to 1,024 polygons, 64 lights, 384 objects, 16 media textures, 64 platforms, and any number of other stupid limits. It won’t even be able to load a large number of Aleph One maps. None of these are issues with modern editors. Your polygon usage is restricted only by Aleph One’s map index limit – I’ve worked on maps with as many as 2,466 polygons before. (Vasara has issues with more than 56 lights, but Visual Mode.lua can handle… I’m not sure how many lights, because I’ve never made a map that exceeded its limits.)
  • Forge’s Visual Mode gives you annoying line-of-sight and viewing distance errors that have literally nothing to do with Aleph One behaviour. If you go very far beyond either of these limits, it crashes, which also has literally nothing to do with Aleph One behaviour. Modern editors are not burdened with either of these errors.
  • Forge restricts you to one texture set and one landscape collection when adding textures and will crash if the map already has more than one of each. Weland and Forge+ let you use however many you want. (I’d advise against using too many, which can cause issues with memory usage, but you don’t have to restrict yourself to one of each.)
  • Doesn’t give you an exact preview of what the map looks like in-game
  • Doesn’t preview sounds
  • You have to emulate a system that was obsolete twenty years ago to run it…
  • …and then you have to keep moving files in and out of the emulator to test them in Aleph One.
Most of that is off the top of my head. Under no circumstances should you be torturing yourself making maps in Forge in 2021; you might as well be trying to edit Quake maps using 1997 editors when TrenchBroom exists. Weland is infinitely better than Forge by almost every conceivable metric, and the others are tiny in comparison and are either: (1) direct results of Aleph One bugs (tag switch behaviour, platform texturing) or (2) “features” that no one in their right mind should miss (caps lock to change floor/ceiling height, which resulted in everyone’s floors and ceilings being misaligned because it was abysmally coded garbage).

If you need to use a terminal editor, you can make terminals in Hex, pull the scripts out of SheepShaver/Basilisk II, and then put them into an Atque spilt map folder. Or you can just wait for Hux!, a terminal editor being created by Yah-Nosh on the Discord. It’s still undergoing some bug fixes, but the basic functionality is nearly ready.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
bernardo
Born on Board

Hi, I created a terminal with Hex after reading the related documentation. I have done all the necessary steps to create a complete terminal. After that I copied/pasted the text script inside the map file using Resedit but when I go to play my scenario, I click on the terminal and it doesn't give me anything. Why?
the terminal text file was made with Hex and is a separate file. I used Atque to merge the map file with the terminal file but the file it produced is empty. I'm doing the procedure wrong I guess but I can't understand much.
I used Atque to merge the scenario with the terminal but the file comes up empty! How can I solve this problem?
The Man
Vidmaster

You shouldn’t be using ResEdit for anything in this process; I don’t even know where you got that from. You want the contents of the data fork, which you can get by just dragging the Hex file into SheepShaver’s shared directory and then putting it into your split map folder. The resource fork’s contents are completely useless to everything that isn’t Hex; in fact, Forge completely ignores them when it merges maps.

(Note that Atque has a completely different split map structure from Forge – it divides stuff into subfolders, whereas Forge just dumps everything into one big directory. So you’ll get a directory called “00 Ne cede malis” that contains “Ne cede malis.phyA”, “Ne cede malis.sceA”, and “Ne cede malis.term.txt”, and so on for subsequent levels. You probably already know this, but just in case.)
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
bernardo
Born on Board

Thank you. I was able to solve the problem using Forge and Hex.