RED help room

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
FireSBurnsmuP
Born on Board

I have had a horribly difficult time finding any information on the web about RED's maps and/or tips.

SO I figure we should have a place for it.

( I just don't like the idea of making a thread only to have it die right after 6 or 7 posts, so other people can take it over if they want - I have nothing against that.)

First - I can't get figure out what to do in the level "Jagermeister's Nightmare"
I got to the bunker with 2x shield recharger on the ledge, but I can't find anywhere else to go after there. I found the lava tunnels, but I can't get very far in lava with only 2x shields. Any help?
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Ok, RED is awful. Yes, we know. Now that all the ranting is over with, we can actually attempt to help each other.
Can't speel for hist.
irons
Vidmaster

Pfhortipfhy wrote:Ok, RED is awful. Yes, we know. Now that all the ranting is over with, we can actually attempt to help each other.
Let me explain mathematically what your post did:

6 + 3 - 3 = 6

It seems that the best way to get through this game is to look at the RED Volunteers series that was begun on MSB. For example, here's the beginning of the Jagermeister thread.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

Pfhortipfhy wrote:Ok, RED is awful. Yes, we know. Now that all the ranting is over with, we can actually attempt to help each other.
well that's at least your opinion. not mine.

and to answer FireSBurnsmuP
I suggest the same thing as Irons, to look at the MSB Red volunteers.
FireSBurnsmuP
Born on Board

Oh, thanks. That place takes forever to search, but I'll keep it in mind.

Does anyone else have the problem where you're not usually allowed to use 2 fists in this game?

It didn't bother me too much, until I got to "3". I'm guessing I have to punch something, but A1 crashes
- seems to me because I switch weapons to my fists and two appear at once, then if I press fire A1 just dies.

Think this is an A1 glitch, or is it the actual scenario? Cause I can't find any way to fix scenarios on linux,
and my macs are all at home - an hour and a half away.

uhm.... help? ^_^U
[EDIT] - nope, turns out I need to press tab. Just for further reference, though. Don't try to punch in that level.
Last edited by FireSBurnsmuP on Nov 10th '07, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
CryoS
Vidmaster

DLed RED today, beated RED today.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

CryoS wrote:DLed RED today, beated RED today.
playing on what difficulty

don't lie, we've all seen your netgames
dude, seriously. dude.
Packard20
Mjolnir Mark IV

OR you could just not play it. What d'you mean "what difficulty"? CryoS is a great net player!
ALL HAIL PACKARD THE IDIOT
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

thermoplyae wrote:don't lie, we've all seen your netgames
The two (net play and solo play) are not necessarily related. One can be quite good at solo play and not so good at net play; the strategies and reflexes are different. In my hayday, I was a pretty good netplayer (certainly not fantastic - someone like treellama could beat me consistantly), but I was an awesome solo player.

Since I'm replying to you, thermoplyae, I can say that the two are not orthogonal basis vectors, but they're not completely dependent either.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
CryoS
Vidmaster

major damage acually, i figured out that if i played on TC, i wouldn't beaten it in a day (because losing intrest the day after).
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

epstein wrote:The two (net play and solo play) are not necessarily related. One can be quite good at solo play and not so good at net play; the strategies and reflexes are different. In my hayday, I was a pretty good netplayer (certainly not fantastic - someone like treellama could beat me consistantly), but I was an awesome solo player.

Since I'm replying to you, thermoplyae, I can say that the two are not orthogonal basis vectors, but they're not completely dependent either.
why do you have to stomp all over everything funny
dude, seriously. dude.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Are there plans to finish the A1/RED conversion?
These are the unfinished things, according to the "todo" file:

1. no sound without infinity sounds
2. terminal picts don't show
-opcode issue
3. HUD
-should text be red?
-conch miner text overlays image
-conch miner ammo indicator
-rpg ammo indicator
4. chapter screens dont show
-opcode issue

Also, the menu music comes in as a garbled mess, and the pre-menu screen (such as "somewhere in the heavens... they are waiting..." in marathon one, and other TCs) is missing.
Can't speel for hist.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

thermoplyae wrote:why do you have to stomp all over everything funny
Sorry; humor killed my aunt.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
CryoS
Vidmaster

Pfhortipfhy wrote:Are there plans to finish the A1/RED conversion?
omg, go here, scroll down as much as possible, there you should see a link (or something) that says marathon RED. download it, and unzip it. copy the A1 files over (do not replace anything) don't overwrite any folders/files. launch, play. (evil is also downloadable here)
trilogy release
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

[whinewhinebitchmoancry]Uhh, it has the same problems as the other one, minus the garbled music. The map isn't RED, the weapons interface isn't RED, it's not RED[/whinewhinebitchmoancry]
Seriously, is anybody going to completely convert it, or is that impossible?
Can't speel for hist.
CryoS
Vidmaster

argh damn you, i got a complete RED using that link
treellama
Vidmaster

Pfhortipfhy wrote:[whinewhinebitchmoancry]Uhh, it has the same problems as the other one, minus the garbled music. The map isn't RED, the weapons interface isn't RED, it's not RED[/whinewhinebitchmoancry]
Seriously, is anybody going to completely convert it, or is that impossible?
I downloaded it straight from the RED website, and made a unimap of it. If you saw a version with a different overhead map and weapons, it wasn't the original.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:I downloaded it straight from the RED website, and made a unimap of it. If you saw a version with a different overhead map and weapons, it wasn't the original.
It had the default infinity colors. Do YOU have a complete A1 conversion?

EDIT oooh those links are from you. Well I have some news: The overhead is supposed to be red colored, and the weapons interface still glitches (doesn't show all the machine pistol rounds/conch grenades are still fucked up).
Last edited by Phortiphy on Nov 11th '07, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
treellama
Vidmaster

Pfhortipfhy wrote:It had the default infinity colors. Do YOU have a complete A1 conversion?

EDIT oooh those links are from you. Well I have some news: The overhead is supposed to be red colored, and the weapons interface still glitches (doesn't show all the machine pistol rounds/conch grenades are still fucked up).
I'll say it again: I downloaded it from the RED website, and made a unimap out of it. If there are third party Aleph One enhancements they're not in there; the zip file is of the *original* RED.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

AlephOne.app (on a Mac) or AlephOne.exe (on a Windows PC) to be up and running.
But it DOESN"T WORK COMPLETELY!
Or is it not supposed to?

EDIT: There's also three themes titled "default" to select from (well, one's called "Default_Theme") as opposed to the regular two.
Last edited by Phortiphy on Nov 11th '07, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

[attachment=1100:Redglitch1.png][attachment=1099:Redglitch.png]
See? The map and interface are defaults.

EDIT: oooh, ok. So it's not the exact original. My bad.
Attachments
Redglitch1.png
Redglitch1.png (608.93 KiB) Viewed 14244 times
Redglitch.png
Redglitch.png (94.53 KiB) Viewed 14234 times
Last edited by Phortiphy on Nov 12th '07, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
treellama
Vidmaster

I'm not sure how this changes anything I said. If you have an MML you'd like to be included with the zip file, just post it. Otherwise, enough out of you already.
FireSBurnsmuP
Born on Board

Alright, if you go to the RED website - bighouse.bungie.org/red - you can get the full, standalone RED. It works fine for me, although most of the ammo issues still apply; i.e. the pistols don't show all rounds, but 90 rounds would be difficult to show twice on the screen. Same with the conch-miner, there's too much ammo to effectively show it all in the small HUD. The term images work fine. It has its own sounds. The chapter screens work. The menu music is fine.

The only problems I encountered are some crashing problems; I think it has something to do with some weapons glitches, but I'm probably just full of hot air.
^_^
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

What is the first possible level to get the Omega Cannon on? And the Rocket Fist?
Can't speel for hist.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Pfhortipfhy wrote:What is the first possible level to get the Omega Cannon on? And the Rocket Fist?
I forget the name of the level, but it's the black and white and red one where it's hard to see anything. Hope that helps.