In The Shadows.

The best of the Pfhorums.
infestedsmith
Cyborg

I thought RED was graphically the most original of all the TCs. I think Morgana was the most fun, and I think Rubicion was the only one that really felt like a continuation of Marathon's story, besides looking awesome. Eternal was OK, but I felt too much like a whole lot of levels just for the sake of the #, rather then being like Marathon 2, where every level had a purpose, and was fairly short and sweet.
Last edited by infestedsmith on Jun 5th '09, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Cold Fusion Games
Marathon: Infested is a fully 3D Marathon game, built from the ground up using a cross platform, stand-alone game engine.
Progress is plentiful...
Marathon: Infested
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

infestedsmith wrote:I thought RED was graphically the most original of all the TCs. I think Morgana was the most fun, and I think Rubicion was the only one that really felt like a continuation of Marathon's story, besides looking awesome. Eternal was OK, but I felt too much like a whole lot of levels just for the sake of the #, rather then being like Marathon 2, where every level had a purpose, and was fairly short and sweet.
FOR GOODNESS SAKE STOP TALKING ABOUT RED AND EVIL!!
Meta

MoppyPuppy wrote:It'll take you awhile. 100 POINTS FOR WHOEVER CAN IDENTIFY WHY!
Ooh! I know! I know! All the backtracking!

Fish, without any more significant updates we really can't discuss In The Shadows any more, we'd love to, but we can't. And without anything on topic to discuss, we are drawn to wander from the topic and ramble about anything we possibly can for the sake of conversation. I'm looking forward to the latest incarnation of In The Shadows by the way and props on what you've got so far.
Last edited by Meta on Jun 5th '09, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

Ideally, you would continue off-topic discussions elsewhere, it really isn't hard to get someone's AIM or MSN screenname or e-mail. "We can't discuss the topic at hand" is no excuse to continue off topic banter.

Anyway, yeah, glad to hear progress is being made on ITS, I look forward to future updates.
Lawstiker
Cyborg

$lave wrote:Ideally, you would continue off-topic discussions elsewhere, it really isn't hard to get someone's AIM or MSN screenname or e-mail. "We can't discuss the topic at hand" is no excuse to continue off topic banter.
Thank you for this comment, but I doubt that they will stop, considering how many times Fishman92 has asked them to stop.
Meta

I'm stopping to the power of [spnkr]
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

update? OK. The new level 2 is finished, it's better, longer and doesn't look crap.
On level one, all the light spots trigger aliens now, to make it harder, it looks better too.
Level 3, well, it's almost totally revamped (aka looks nothing like it did) It's a lot bigger, darker and scarier, with puzzles! There.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ok, i agree that Discussions about red and evil should be kept out of here (unless providing a decent idea). I am putting in updates whenever i get to each significant point in developement. Yes, the progress is slow, but deal with it.
Level 4 will be kind of like what moppy said earlier (the dark structure, with BOBs.).
Haven't decided what to do with level 5 yet. And what someone said wa back for part of the storyline is brilliant, i keep refering to it for ideas aswell, so thnx!
To finish level 3, i need to make a new monster, so it could take a while!
So thnx for the feedback, i will give u ?SIGNIFICANT UPDATES? soon.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

OK this is fustrating me- MY IMAGES AND TERMINAL PICTS FILES NEVER DAMN WORK!!!???
All of my artwork is smaller than the original ones, and won't show. Whenever I try to put terminal picts in, it says they can't be found. Why?
Meta

Fishman92 wrote:OK this is fustrating me- MY IMAGES AND TERMINAL PICTS FILES NEVER DAMN WORK!!!???
All of my artwork is smaller than the original ones, and won't show. Whenever I try to put terminal picts in, it says they can't be found. Why?
Try looking it up, go to the image file resources on s.b.o and look for the correct resolution, size, etc. If that doesn't work look it up on Google.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

I've checked everything- they're all the right sizes, resoution etc. The images show up in the resource fork, yet do not appear!?
Anyway, If anyone has any ideas for fixing da problems, post them plz!
O.k., back on to the actuall levels, level 3 is done! It's dark, got good lighting stuff and detail! I've also almost finished level 4, based on moppy's idea from a few posts ago. Just need to add in the shadow enemies and it'll be done!
I'm obviously gonna start lv 5 soon, so i'll keep you posted!
PS does anyone now how to put a true 3d cube onto a polygon using mml?
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ok everyone u wanted updates, so i posted some new screenshots on the blog (of level 4 & 5)!
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

did you import the pics as 8bit bmps? thats how you do it in obed. it makes its own level, then you use that level number to designate the pic.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
Lawstiker
Cyborg

Fishman92 wrote:Ok everyone u wanted updates, so i posted some new screenshots on the blog (of level 4 & 5)!
Those levels are looking good. The map designs are a step up from the early beta. Keep up the good work.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

in fact, if you send me the map and the pics, i can put them in, and set up the terminals to display the pics
D?rovací tvá?í.
Lawstiker
Cyborg

tehWastedJamacan wrote:in fact, if you send me the map and the pics, i can put them in, and set up the terminals to display the pics
If he is using Forge to develop his maps then he most likely based ITS off of the Infinity shapes file which has one extra texture set in it than Durandal's shapes file that Obed will not open. So you could get his terminals running but he would have to re-texture the map, and that is only if he did not include any "Infinity only" stuff such as the smg or vacbob. Including those in the map and trying to open it in Obed would cause the program to crash.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

...oh...
D?rovací tvá?í.
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wow. This is an amazing project.

I have one question though...

Which do you like better, RED or EVIL?

Keep up the good work, and keep us updated on all of your progress!
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

If I had to choose just one, Evil.
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

You're just doing that to pee me off now. Put it i a different topic.
Level 5 is complete (woopwoop) now starting level 6!
As for the images file and terminal picts, is using resedit theonly way i can get it to work? i've tried other resource editors but they don't work..
And yeh, i am using a version of forge (modified by me so i can make any sense of what i'm doing) in classic mode in 10.3.9 on a 400mhz imac g3
treellama
Vidmaster

For Images and terminal PICTs, you can use Atque: http://sourceforge.net/projects/igniferroque

Although if you can't get them working using ResEdit, you probably just don't know what you're doing. Read the Forge manual again, carefully, and if you go to use Atque, the manual for that: http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/igni...le=Atque_Manual
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

cool i'll use that.
Right, for the images file I know that the pict resources with an id of 1*** is 256 colour bitmaps, which need cluts, etc. 2***'s are 24/16 bit images and don't need cluts and 3*** are 32 bit stuff with no cluts (know what i'm talking about!). I've only ever managed to change the infinity splash screens in ResEdit, so i guess other resource editors don't work.
But i'll downloa that program.
Where it says "manipulates maps", what exactly can it do?
treellama
Vidmaster

Fishman92 wrote:Where it says "manipulates maps", what exactly can it do?
You mean the Ferro library? At the moment, enough to enable Atque to work :)
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

RED all the way.

Btw, If you're using Atque, be sure to save the pictures in the right format, i.e. without quicktime encoding or whatever (it gave me a bit of trouble in Winter I)
L'howon
Vidmaster

Kurinn wrote:Wow. This is an amazing project.

I have one question though...

Which do you like better, RED or EVIL?

Keep up the good work, and keep us updated on all of your progress!
Evil, hands down. It can be difficult at times but its not impossible.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.