Additional textures for infinity

The best of the Pfhorums.
Old Bail
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:And some of us don't care so much what the graphics look like--we actually enjoy stuff like, oh, you know, gameplay, and story. You remember, the things that made Marathon great?
how does appreciating good graphics make someone not appreciate story and gameplay?
treellama
Vidmaster

Old Bail wrote:how does appreciating good graphics make someone not appreciate story and gameplay?
I assume that question was not directed at me, but at the guy implying the game is no fun if the graphics don't look good.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I assume that question was not directed at me, but at the guy implying the game is no fun if the graphics don't look good.
Seeing as he quoted you, I would assume he was in fact asking you the question, especially since it does pertain to you. The way you phrased that would indicate that people who enjoy graphics can't enjoy story.
treellama
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:The way you phrased that would indicate that people who enjoy graphics can't enjoy story.
I didn't imply anything like that, but even if I had, it would only pertain to the guy who "cannot possibly imagine playing using low-res garbage"
Drictelt
Vidmaster

A topic related post:

This sounds like a good initiative to me, if everyone has easy access to the extended shapes, eg. if theres always a patch with the most recent shapes included in the most recent aleph one. This way there wont be any problem with playing online with people that dont have these shapes. Cuz 128 shapes dont really load a long time right?

What is important if you do this, is that the textures are good. We dont want crap automatically included in our aleph one, do we? So i'd make it open-sourcish, so that everyone can add and improve the textures. Therell just have to be someone to decide whether theyre good/better or not.

How does this sound?
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
Samus

Drictelt wrote:A topic related post:

This sounds like a good initiative to me, if everyone has easy access to the extended shapes, eg. if theres always a patch with the most recent shapes included in the most recent aleph one. This way there wont be any problem with playing online with people that dont have these shapes. Cuz 128 shapes dont really load a long time right?

What is important if you do this, is that the textures are good. We dont want crap automatically included in our aleph one, do we? So i'd make it open-sourcish, so that everyone can add and improve the textures. Therell just have to be someone to decide whether theyre good/better or not.

How does this sound?

Pretty much sums up all the shit I blabbled, HIGHFIVE!!!

I also think that we shouldn't just 'dump' it onto the public though, if this is passed as a law, it should be the news on all marathon related sites and say coming soon. Then put a due date for 'new' maps on it, with the link to the shapes also. That gives time for most people to get it, and then release all the maps for it (if any) after that date.

-raises hand and yells, AYE!!!-
Last edited by Samus on Apr 28th '07, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

I wouldnt put any dates on it. Just let it grow as people want to help.
treellama
Vidmaster

Drictelt wrote:This way there wont be any problem with playing online with people that dont have these shapes.
Did you even read the rest of the thread?
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Yes, but probably i forgot some parts...
What did i say wrong?
treellama
Vidmaster

Many of us have explained already how it *is* a problem for people who don't have the shapes.
Old Bail
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:Many of us have explained already how it *is* a problem for people who don't have the shapes.
speaking of problems, treellama, yesterday I read your reply to frigidman over at the lh-owon forums, regarding his crying about bandwidth and stuff. you are correct. how the hell can he possibly be spending that much on bandwidth in this day in age? maybe in 1996, but not today. his response was typical of his 'i am special'/entitlement complex, saying that his site is so special and unique it can't be moved. lol! how lame is that? the guy is crazy and it is a shame to have someone like that controlling the fate of marathon historical archives.

the community needs someone and something new but it should be central and contained in one site, not many sites. a watering hole where everyone can go. one stop. one reader suggested a wiki, but wikis allow any idiot to edit and there are a lot of idiots online. can someone from this community step forward? if i had web knowledge, i would create a site to replace fileball right now. marathon should not fall into the same hole that myth did a long time ago. look what happened to myth because of those guys at fileball. agreed? we have all become complacent because fileball was always there even with its paranoid setup, the fact that nothing shows up in google searches, the fact that its administration is a collection of right-wingnuts always complaining about someone taking something away from them and how special they are and how much the world owes them for hosting a bunch of files. well i guess gary is okay even though he's a right-winger who hates the french, probably because like a lot of people who watch fox news he has never been out of the USA, poor guy.

time for change!!!! maybe a collaboration with the people who are hosting these files:

link - - - http://archives2.bungie.org/cgi-bin/findma...amp;sortby=date
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Treellama: Did you even read my post?
Last edited by Drictelt on Apr 28th '07, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Yes--just because everyone has "easy access" to the shapes doesn't mean they're going to go get them. And if they don't, they get hosed.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Now read the second part of that phrase :)
And yes, it might be a stupid idea to put it in the aleph one downloads, thats why i asked 'How does this sound'
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

his response was typical of his 'i am special'/entitlement complex, saying that his site is so special and unique it can't be moved. lol! how lame is that? the guy is crazy and it is a shame to have someone like that controlling the fate of marathon historical archives.
You really should be a lot more thankful of frigidman, considering he's been the only person forking over cash to keep it running. When you're putting down the money to run the site, then you can complain.
we have all become complacent because fileball was always there even with its paranoid setup, the fact that nothing shows up in google searches, the fact that its administration is a collection of right-wingnuts always complaining about someone taking something away from them and how special they are and how much the world owes them for hosting a bunch of files. well i guess gary is okay even though he's a right-winger who hates the french, probably because like a lot of people who watch fox news he has never been out of the USA, poor guy.
You really have got to get off the cheap Wal-Mart drugs, man. They're messing with your brain.
Nameless
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:You really should be a lot more thankful of frigidman, considering he's been the only person forking over cash to keep it running. When you're putting down the money to run the site, then you can complain.
You really have got to get off the cheap Wal-Mart drugs, man. They're messing with your brain.
yes i agree fully.
if youre not puttin money down than why complain.
Goin' After The Rails On A Crazy Train.
Veiw My MarathonArt
Maybe if i PWN enof Newbs I CAN RAISE MY RANK IN THE SERVER FROM 3 to 1.....
"WAKE ME WHEN YOU NEED ME" (SPOILERS)MASTER CHEIF, Halo 3

Marathon : Vengeance
Why can't you see what i've done...
treellama
Vidmaster

Just because it's there in the downloads doesn't mean people are going to get it and install it!

Why is this so difficult :(
Samus

Well, they are retards then, if it says new shapes file for infinity! or something. Why would they not get it? you could also wright required for net play. And if people really really can't download it, A cd costs like 20c to $1, burn it on and post it to em for what like 45c stamp?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Well, they are retards then, if it says new shapes file for infinity! or something. Why would they not get it? you could also wright required for net play. And if people really really can't download it, A cd costs like 20c to $1, burn it on and post it to em for what like 45c stamp?
NO.
Samus

RyokoTK wrote:NO.
Do you take pride in your negativity against people? or is it simply because you find it fun to put down others? There was no reason to enlarge your writing, most of us can read the standard size 2 text, making it bigger and bolder doesn't get the point across better but it actually makes it more offensive.
Last edited by Samus on Apr 29th '07, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

People have already discussed the topic. Forcing people to download something won't work; it's presumptuous and unnecessary. I enlarged the text because apparently the size 2 is too small for you to read normally. Apparently I was right, since you actually read the big letters.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Apr 29th '07, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Samus wrote:Do you take pride in your negativity against people? or is it simply because you find it fun to put down others? There was no reason to enlarge your writing, most of us can read the standard size 2 text, making it bigger and bolder doesn't get the point across better but it actually makes it more offensive. Right now I think Administretard would be more fitting.
Before you being to be a bitch at Ryoko and crap your way into a third warn, consider the reason you have them. The message of Ryoko's offense is so you will improve the intelligence of your posts, which are currently not very intelligent.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

StoneClench wrote:OK, I may be new but I have used plenty of forums before...

If you learnt these 2 rules you wouldn't be such a fag.

1) Never ever, encourage or insult an Admin.

2) Flame wars against admins never result in victory

3) don't use derogatory language when unnecessary, especially language that insults groups of people who are in no way involved. like fags for instance, idiot

edit;

can we lock this topic until sending additional textures is implemented in aleph one if indeed that happens, cause the project i moot until that happens
Last edited by screamingfool on Apr 29th '07, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

The no sayers' point seems to be:

-people wont get it
-if people have access to it, they wont get it
-if we force people to get it, they still wont get it
-this is a changement, let's not do it
-NO.

I think, if people would be slightly more open for new things, this could work out great. So i'd say: just do it, and let those who refuse not to be hosed, be hosed, if this project turns out good.
Last edited by Drictelt on Apr 29th '07, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Old Bail wrote:if i had web knowledge, i would create a site to replace fileball right now
So, you're telling us that you know nothing about hosting or making web sites, but you're giving us a very forceful and caustic rant on why you're right?
marathon should not fall into the same hole that myth did a long time ago. look what happened to myth because of those guys at fileball. agreed? we have all become complacent because fileball was always there even with its paranoid setup, the fact that nothing shows up in google searches, the fact that its administration is a collection of right-wingnuts always complaining about someone taking something away from them and how special they are and how much the world owes them for hosting a bunch of files.
I've never really seen the admins at Fileball saying anything about how "special" they are. I admit it, I don't like Frigidman, but we owe him for maintaining that site for so long, no matter the monetary cost. If he feels it's time to can it, who are you to condemn him? You make the hosting of these absolutely priceless files seems like the most important thing in the world, and at the same time you portray the Fileball people as assholes for doing the very same thing you think is the holiest of holies, taking care of these "marathon historical archives."

You can't find the files by searching on Google? Are you that lazy? There's a very versatile search function on the site itself, and you won't have to deal with the millions of irrelevant results that Google might spew out.
well i guess gary is okay even though he's a right-winger who hates the french, probably because like a lot of people who watch fox news he has never been out of the USA, poor guy.
I have my own problems with BattleCat, but his political affiliation isn't one of them. Stuff like that has nothing to do with the game itself. And, what's more, I repsect Gary; he's a veteran of the Vietnam War, which is more than I can say for myself, and probably more than you can say, too.
time for change!!!! maybe a collaboration with the people who are hosting these files:

link - - - http://archives2.bungie.org/cgi-bin/findma...amp;sortby=date
You really seem to know it all. Considering that the Bungie Archives were replaced by Fileball, and that Claude, the guy who ran the Archives, is a Fileball admin himself, I'm certain that this idea is worthless. Especially since everyone on Fileball (which includes Claude) is such a bastard.

I don't know if you're actually a real, honest person, or if you're a troll. Either way, please leave this forum. There are people working on solutions to the Fileball issue, and trust me, they're being way more productive than you are. If all you can contribute to Marathon is a series of shitty posts, you might find a good home in the Pigeon Lounge.

To everyone else:

These posts (mine and "Old Ball's" especially) are way off-topic. I think an admin ought to split them off. Screamingfool had a good idea with the topic lock anyway.

Sorry I had to butt in on something as stupid as this, but come on.

(irons)
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps