Nobody loves me

The best of the Pfhorums.
DaiMac79
Born on Board

Volcanon wrote:DaiMac79, there's this game called Doom. Its got a humongous active development community, and there are OSX versions. Yes, Marathon is better.
Ah, see I said Mac game specifically, because I know of this Doom you speak of. I remember the lag between Doom's DOS release and the Mac OS version, so it can't even be called a multi-platform game so much as a port (a fine distinction, to be sure). Considering how much bigger the Windows platform is than Mac, I would be shocked if there weren't ongoing communities for older games there, but given that (unlike our PC brethren) we've gone through 3 massive shifts that have all but broken backwards compatibility for most things (68k to PPC, OS9 to OSX, now PPC to Intel), its simply amazing that people have taken the time to build something like AlephOne to keep this game alive. Yes, I know PCs have had their own share of crazy code and hardware updates that break old games (I have a PC with Vista, so I know this intimately), but at least its still based on some form of the same x86 instruction set. Try running (searches brain) say the original Pax Imperia on anything but a 68k machine, that thing never worked on any machine past my Centris 650 (and I liked that game, simplistic though it seems now).

But my point was never to claim that Marathon was unique in being a game with long term appeal or development, merely that the actions (or lack thereof) of a handful of people have very little bearing on the game (or this site's) survival. If (gods forbid) somebody decides they no longer want to develop A1, I'm sure others will take their place as necessary, no offense to Treellama or anybody else who we all owe continual thanks for their work.
Last edited by DaiMac79 on Sep 11th '07, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

I just can't get over how oblivious to reality this guy was...
Can't speel for hist.
Macsforever

Ryoko: *Nobody likes me, everybody hates me,
Guess I'll go eat worms,
Long, thin, slimy ones; Short, fat, juicy ones,
Itsy, bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms.

Down goes the first one, down goes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm.
Up comes the first one, up comes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm.

I bite off the heads, and suck out the juice
And throw the skins away
Nobody knows how fat I grow
On worms three times a day
Ohh...nobody loves me.*
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

you fail
Macsforever

I noticed that. >_<

Last edited by Macsforever on Sep 15th '07, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.