Here's how to make maps nowadays!

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
Unappetizing
Spazeroid

This might be trickier than I thought...
Neonstar
Born on Board

I've merged the Forge tutorials with timestamps here if it may be helpful to some people. (I found that attempting to play them in a modern player results in the videos being converted, but also inflated to stupidly large file sizes in the gigabyte region, and this may be better than separate videos if someone prefers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8yqfvNc0HM
Sometimes, you've got to get better, before you can get better.
Power Macintosh G4/1.25 DP - OS 9
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Still a great resource for newbie mapmakers - thank you.
BlackMageAnolis
Born on Board

The Lua and MML documentation, as well as the Physics Model reference, cannot be accessed. Are there versions of these that are publicly available?
The Man
Vidmaster

The Lua and MML documentation come with every download of the Aleph One app (but NOT - this is extremely important - the standalone versions of Marathon 1, Marathon 2, or Marathon Infinity, which inexplicably don't include them). You can grab it here, but if you are on 64-bit Windows you should go the GitHub and get the 64-bit app instead.

I don't understand what you mean by "the Physics Model reference".
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
radioskip
Born on Board

Great guide thanks.....
Im trying to update an old map i made more than 20 years ago. It had its own graphics and sounds and I'm a luddite these days when it comes to this kind of thing. (my map was called 13 Group AO)

I can't get visual mode plugin to work in Aleph One despite following readme instructions...
The Man
Vidmaster

We’ll need a lot more information. What OS are you using? What version of Weland? What version of Aleph One? What plugin are you using for visual mode (Vasara or Visual Mode.lua)? Did you make sure to select the actual game folder (i.e., the Marathon Infinity folder if you’re making maps for vanilla Infinity) for “scenario”? It would probably be ideal to just post a screenshot of your Weland preferences, honestly.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge