Tag Switches Not Working Properly

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
BlackMageAnolis
Born on Board

Hello, I'm back!

I'm making a map, and the idea is that the player has to hit four switches to build up steps in order to get to the next part of the level via a teleporter sector. The steps surround the final sector in octagonal rings, and a thought I had was, "Oh, I'll set each level of steps to a tag, and then set each switch to raise all the platforms associated with that tag!"

So I did it, and the problem is that I can't use the Activate key to activate the switch. I have to use the SO's pistol (which I changed in the physics model to be able to flip switches), and it works perfectly with that. Is it an innate property of tag switches that they're only weapon-activated (and if so, is there a way to ensure only one rung of steps is raised per switch without using tag switches?), or is there something with the construction of the switch that I need to fix?

Here's how it looks in Weland.

Here's how it'll look after hitting all the right switches.

And here's what one of the switches looks like.
pfhore
Born on Board

Marathon's engine( including AO) can't handle action key to switches with a very high ceiling properly.
(If you play missed island, you'll know)
The Man
Vidmaster

What pfhore said. If you really want a somewhat similar effect, you can reverse the design so that the switch extends from the ceiling. But you can't have a switch like that extend from the floor and expect to be able to tab it. Doesn't work.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge