Flying monster melee attacks

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
WeirdoYYY
Born on Board

Having an issue with a monster that I want to be flying but attack with melee. The monster displays it's attack animation however it approaches the player and simply causes no damage. I have tried changing the type of shot, messing around with the dx,dy,dz values, behaviour tags, and so on... Nothing.

I'm wondering if what is happening is that since the monster is flying the attack is not reaching the player where it should be? I've tried doing the jump cheat to see if I can get "above" the attack and that didn't work either.
"He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink."
treellama
Vidmaster

I don't think flying monsters can melee attack. I'm not aware of any in the original game.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Kamikaze ticks have a melee attack, and if you uncheck the "kamikaze" falg, you can see them run up to you and drain your energy. It stops working as they fly up too high though.

One thing I noticed while making AOPID was if I made a monster's projectile spawn too low to the ground, the monster would stop attacking up close. I got around this by rising the attack's dz value up higher in the physics, but using lua to reposition the projectile to the ground when it gets created. My theory, without actually looking at the code, is that if the vertical angle from where the projectile would be spawned, and the player (maybe their chest or head?) is too large, the monster won't actually attack. You might try messing with the dz value in the combat settings of the monster to see if it helps. Since it's a flying monster, maybe you have to lower it quite a bit.
WeirdoYYY
Born on Board

Wrkncacnter wrote:Kamikaze ticks have a melee attack, and if you uncheck the "kamikaze" falg, you can see them run up to you and drain your energy. It stops working as they fly up too high though.

One thing I noticed while making AOPID was if I made a monster's projectile spawn too low to the ground, the monster would stop attacking up close. I got around this by rising the attack's dz value up higher in the physics, but using lua to reposition the projectile to the ground when it gets created. My theory, without actually looking at the code, is that if the vertical angle from where the projectile would be spawned, and the player (maybe their chest or head?) is too large, the monster won't actually attack. You might try messing with the dz value in the combat settings of the monster to see if it helps. Since it's a flying monster, maybe you have to lower it quite a bit.
So a negative dz value? I'll try that. I figured it was something along these lines.
WeirdoYYY
Born on Board

I swear I had it going at one point and then I changed something and now I can't figure out what it is.

So I checked the Kamakazi tick's combat settings and it's set with no hover height, just flying tag. His dz value is 512 and that's about it. I tried even turning my monster into something that fires ranged and even that isn't working.

Would the shape file have anything to do with it?
WeirdoYYY
Born on Board

Posting my solution for whoever has this issue. I had the key frame wrong in the shapes file for some reason, set it back to 1 and the monster is now functioning as it should.