Shapefusion sequence animations

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
Juzo-kun
Born on Board

I don't know if I can explain myself decently, and I don't know how to search for this, so apologies if it's something already asked.

There's a screenshot of a .shpA file open in Shapefusion, sequence editing:
shapefusion.png
I see in the "Sequence type" dropdown menu that the max views possible is 8, corresponding to a rotation in 8 steps of the character. I was curious if it could be possible (via MML or LUA or other kind of things) add to this number and having, in example, 12 or 16 steps, to have a smoother animation when the character turns or the player turns around the character.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

It is not possible to have more than 8 view angles unless you want to get into 3D model replacements. Even then, unless you're using the obscure dim3 format, 3D models only work for static, non-randomised models; like items and most M1 scenery.

I've suggested adding alternate means to have animated or randomised 3D models but Hopper shot the idea down, he wants to focus on moving to a new graphics api rather than extending the capabilities we already have with OpenGL.

For upgrading a sequence from one or four or five views to 8 views without distributing a shapes file, you can embed a shapes patch into a plugin or level.
Juzo-kun
Born on Board

ravenshining wrote:It is not possible to have more than 8 view angles unless you want to get into 3D model replacements.[...]
Ah, I see! I was wondering about that because I'm more a fan of the the hand-drawn look, rather than the 3D rendered one (it's the reason I personally find the freeverse version of the sprites less inspiring than the default ones).
Among the million and half ideas I have, I'd like to try to learn Blender well enough to recreate 3D version of the various characters, either finding a suitable cell-shading effect or using the render as a base to draw on. But real life insists on thwarthing my plans, umphf.
ravenshining wrote:For upgrading a sequence from one or four or five views to 8 views without distributing a shapes file, you can embed a shapes patch into a plugin or level.
Good to know, I'll eventually look into this!