New Marathon Game - "pvp extraction shooter"

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
BlackMageAnolis
Born on Board

During the Sony Showcase, a new Marathon game, rumored about back in October, was unveiled. The teaser hasn't been uploaded anywhere as of yet, but it linked to a website here: https://www.marathonthegame.com

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, modernizing Marathon's aesthetic on the UESC's side into a sleek biopunk look? I kinda like it? It sort of works given what we know about the UESC and the battleroids, and with Halo cribbing a lot of Marathon's aesthetic, this is an interesting direction to take things to help differentiate the two series. Mixing that with bit of glitch/cyberart as well is certainly a good call, since, ya know, AIs. As well, the way Bungie has set up the chronology here, I think is smart. Setting this on a scuttled Tau Ceti post-M1 means that it's not liable to interfere with the events of the trilogy, and the scope seems fairly contained to Tau Ceti as it stands.

On the other hand: "pvp extraction shooter"? I'm generally not one to think that a series needs to hogtie itself down to a certain genre and vibe 100% of the time, but in an era of always-online live service games, intense near predatory monetization, and continual mining of IP, I'm not one to believe pairing that genre with this setting was one arrived at purely on the basic of artistic exploration. And as hopeful I am of info on the game as it's been initially presented, there's nothing preventing Bungie from intruding on the trilogy later on down the line. Even if this was a direction the Pfhans were wont to receive well (which, big ask), the continual demand for profit with what will certainly be another live-service game is just as liable to erode any sense of sincerity and care that Bungie would take with the setting and their initial intentions, where the only thing fighting against that is good will (and good will doesn't feed hungry bellies).

I guess at the moment, I'm torn between some nagging feelings of cautious optimism and a general resignation over more old IPs being trotted out for ultimately cynical purposes.

Edit: They've uploaded the trailer here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckI_m8bbXfw

Also I forgot about "runner", lol.
Switch
Vidmaster

FROGBLAST THE VENTCORE
Nordevai
Born on Board

BlackMageAnolis wrote: May 24th '23, 21:50 I guess at the moment, I'm torn between some nagging feelings of cautious optimism and a general resignation over more old IPs being trotted out for ultimately cynical purposes.
Considering the age we live in and how long its been I find myself falling into the later. Is anyone from the old team even at bungie anymore?

It looks nice and has a pretty unique style to it that i'm sure will attract alot of players to check it out... but the old school fans are likely not the target audience. Which makes sense, its not like they could make a killing on the handful of us left that remember the originals. And to be honest I'm fine with this. Its not like this new game is going to cause the old ones to stop existing.

Who knows, maybe it will get a few people to look into the old stuff again.
Shocktart
Cyborg

I'm in full support of the new game for the sole reason that it will fight the infectious mind virus that is Marathon's Story in my brain, significant brain power is now freed up to use on literally anything else. My life has already improved with the news of this game's development.

If the story in the new Marathon game is disconnected from the original series I'm going to be devastated and I'll have to find a way to write the team at Bungie so I can call them all idiots. I don't think that will be necessary though from what I've seen thus far.

I'm in it for the lore if I ever get around to playing it.

If Bungie wants to create major hype for the game they should eschew demonstrating gameplay in favor of demonstrating their ability to create new maps and other content rapidly and consistently. Just like Tesla demonstrated their ability to manufacture cars at half the cost, half the labor, and half the resources instead of showing off a new vehicle.

Also, how much LSD did the art team take in producing this game?
FlawedIntellect
Born on Board

I think the new game is probably going to turn out to be hot garbage. No gameplay footage so far, and all the same pretentious, empty marketing buzzwords they used back when they were pitching Destiny. Also, none of the original Bungie crew is even there anymore.

If the state of all Western AAA gaming is to go off of these days, it's there's no reason to be optimistic about any of it.
Shocktart
Cyborg

I'm optimistic.

For me its down to a few questions:
- Is there quality continuation of Marathon's story, lore, and can I make it my objective to go get it? Is it one of the ways to win mentioned in the ViDoc?
- Has Bungie found a way to consistently pump out content at a rapid rate?
- Is the game ready one launch? Sad to clarify that but it is a AAA release.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

this right here
Shocktart wrote: I'll have to find a way to write the team at Bungie so I can call them all idiots.
is shameless pandering to the fandom

mararthon 4: escape from tarkov will make me god is jason's long-anticipated answer to bungie, did you get that nail bomb i sent you

homestar runner.png