I made much of the music for Marathon Trojan and just found some of the original .mid files!

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
RetroT
Spazeroid

Hey all! I thought someone might find this little bit of history interesting, so here ya go.
I composed much of the music for Trojan, and today found a bunch of the original .mid files and QuickTime files. Unfortunately, the QT files don't work anymore, but the mid files do in VLC! And they sound like crap! :lol: I'm actually really glad someone converted the QuickTime mid music from .mid to .ogg for the re-release, as I never got around to doing that. Check it out:
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 5.12.31 PM.png
Wow, 1997. Man, that was... a while ago.
The project was run by Hamish Sanderson, who I never met as I'm in the US, but chatted with regularly via email. Nice guy, and pretty much let me do whatever I wanted creatively.
When composing the music, I remember there was some way to embed PCM samples in the QuickTime files, so you could put your own drum samples and stuff in there and not rely on the MIDI synthesizer on the user's computer. I embedded a bunch of drum samples which sounded way better than the stuff built into QuickTime. You can identify my tracks pretty easily, as they're the dancey/house ones with the TR-909 drum samples. I think I used a vocal sample or two as well.
Also, there was one more track I composed (I think) for the original Macintosh Trojan manual. It would play when you clicked on the logo or something. I can't remember exactly what type of file it was, but it wasn't PDF. It was some Macintosh-specific document format where you could embed media files. This was a real PCM track I composed on a real synthesizer and drum machine and sounded pretty good. It wasn't a MIDI file (thank God).
Anyway, that's it. It was a way for a kid to waste time in front of his Mac Quadra back in the 90s!
The Man
Vidmaster

Oh sweet, there are some absolute bangers in that OST. You're Tom, I presume? I remember the tracks for "The Arrival", "Command and Control", "Lune Noire", "Big Pig", "Have Gun, Will Travel", and "Dance the Last Waltz With Me" in particular being absolute fire. It'd be sweet to have the original MIDIs uploaded here - might be fun to import them into a modern DAW and see what it could do with them. (Also, did the songs have names? HAS couldn't remember them if they did.)

I think the reissue on itch.io wound up using that last track you spoke about when you click on the logo for the credits. I remastered the music (YouTube link here) and sounds for the itch.io version (although the music differences are probably barely noticeable - I suspect they mostly amount to a few decibels more dynamic range than they had originally. The sound differences should be extremely obvious, though).

If you've written any other tunes since then, I'd be interested to hear those too. Nice to see you pop by!
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
RetroT
Spazeroid

The Man wrote: Feb 2nd '22, 00:11 Oh sweet, there are some absolute bangers in that OST. You're Tom, I presume? I remember the tracks for "The Arrival", "Command and Control", "Lune Noire", "Big Pig", "Have Gun, Will Travel", and "Dance the Last Waltz With Me" in particular being absolute fire. It'd be sweet to have the original MIDIs uploaded here - might be fun to import them into a modern DAW and see what it could do with them. (Also, did the songs have names? HAS couldn't remember them if they did.)
Thanks! And yup, that's me. Actually, for 90s MIDI music, it didn't turn out too bad.

I don't recall ever giving the tracks titles--it was just "track0, track1, etc." I guess the official titles are the map names!

I attached the original MIDI files if you want to have a go. It might take a bit of work to get them sounding good, as I don't have the original sound samples anymore (not that Roland drum samples are in short supply). Also, at some point I transferred the MOVs that contained the samples to a non-Mac disk, so those weird Macintosh file resource forks got removed. Unfortunately, those contained the sound samples and other critical stuff. You wouldn't happen to have the original music MOV files, would you? I also lost a bunch of other stuff, like some custom Marathon maps I made. :( I also can't seem to find the last track, "Dance the Last Waltz..." Although if I recall correctly, that was the first track I did and sort of the prototype for the rest of the tracks as I figured out all the technical stuff on that one. So I may have put that one in its own folder that didn't get backed up.

Oh and just to nerd out a little, I don't remember exactly the software I used to write the music but I think it may have been MIDIGraphy. I seem to remember it being a pretty great sequencer and spending a lot of time with it. I think the process was to write the tracks in MIDIGraphy, and then do some importing into MoviePlayer or something to add in the samples.
I think the reissue on itch.io wound up using that last track you spoke about when you click on the logo for the credits. I remastered the music (YouTube link here) and sounds for the itch.io version (although the music differences are probably barely noticeable - I suspect they mostly amount to a few decibels more dynamic range than they had originally. The sound differences should be extremely obvious, though).
This sounds great! Everything pretty much sounds exactly how I remember it. I was really exited to listen to those audio files included with the Trojan download, since I hadn't really heard those tracks the way they were supposed to sound for ages. Oh and yeah, the "Credits Screen" track is the one I was talking about. I had just bought a Yamaha CS1x around then and used it to make that weird acidy-sounding bass loop.
If you've written any other tunes since then, I'd be interested to hear those too. Nice to see you pop by!
I haven't done much music for anything serious since around 2000 other than just toying around for my own amusement. Once I moved on to Cubase and software synthesizers, I sold almost all my music gear. I did do a silly 30 second radio ad spot for a company I worked for a few years later that was pretty popular. We had people calling us requesting an audio file after hearing it on the radio so they could put it on their Diamond Rio MP3 player. :lol:
Attachments
t.worth-Trojan-Soundtrack.zip
(26.51 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
The Man
Vidmaster

I attached the original MIDI files if you want to have a go.
Cool, thanks!
It might take a bit of work to get them sounding good, as I don't have the original sound samples anymore (not that Roland drum samples are in short supply).
Yeah, it’ll be a learning process, but it’s something I’ve long wanted to learn anyway.
Also, at some point I transferred the MOVs that contained the samples to a non-Mac disk, so those weird Macintosh file resource forks got removed. Unfortunately, those contained the sound samples and other critical stuff. You wouldn't happen to have the original music MOV files, would you?
I don’t have them, but I can get them. There’s an app for MacOS Classic called the Marathon Music Exploder that can split a MacOS Classic Marathon 1 music file, like Trojan’s, into its constituent .mov files. In this case, it’d split Trojan’s music file into 21 component .mov files. However, I know from experience that it’s necessary to go to “Get Info” and increase its memory size to get it to extract all 21 tracks – if memory serves, the samples in “Dance the Last Waltz” cause it to run out of memory with its default allocation. I might give this a whirl myself later – I just don’t remember if I have anything in SheepShaver that compresses files at the moment. (insert El Risitas laughing emote here)
I haven't done much music for anything serious since around 2000 other than just toying around for my own amusement.
I feel like first and foremost that’s what a large percentage of artistic creation is – endeavouring to create music we’d want to listen to/books we’d want to read/games we’d want to play/etc., and then hoping others will be interested. I’d be interested to hear whatever else you’ve done – the Trojan soundtrack has a lot of nostalgia for me, and I’d always wondered if its composers did anything else.
This sounds great! Everything pretty much sounds exactly how I remember it. I was really exited to listen to those audio files included with the Trojan download, since I hadn't really heard those tracks the way they were supposed to sound for ages.
I’m glad you enjoyed it! And yeah, the intention with the remaster was to make sure they sounded almost exactly as they sounded on Mac, just with a little bit more headroom so as to preserve as much dynamic range as possible; I also mastered them all to around -20 dB RMS to ensure one level’s soundtrack wasn’t way louder than its predecessor’s (with the sole exception of the intro level, “Archangel Death”, which I mastered to -25 dB RMS).

(If you’re familiar with dynamic range logs, the entire soundtrack scored DR15, with the lowest scores being DR11 [“Archangel Death”, “Boy Are My Arms Tired”, and “Savage Streak”] and the highest being DR18 [“Eat Your Microwave”], though I think originally the worst score was probably around DR9 or something, so it’s a subtle difference. Of your tracks, “Say It with Grenades” and “Can’t Be Too Careful Nowadays” wound up with the highest dynamic ranges [DR17] and “Big Pig” with the lowest [DR12]. All of these have exemplary dynamic range, to be clear – DR11 would be an unusually high score for a modern rock or pop release.)
oh and yeah, the "Credits Screen" track is the one I was talking about. I had just bought a Yamaha CS1x around then and used it to make that weird acidy-sounding bass loop.
Yeah, it’s a really neat intro. I think I actually might’ve taken the liberty of extending the loop a little bit for the itch.io release by mix pasting two four-bar segments of it together and sticking them at the end or something, but I actually don’t remember now. The pandemic has basically destroyed my perception of time, and I don’t trust memories even a year old now.

In any case, if you ever do compose anything you think is worthy of exhibition, I’m working on several game projects that still need new compositions. If you’re on Discord, you can hit me up at the main server (https://discord.gg/c7rEVgY) at @Aaron#6608. I’ll let you know if I come up with any interesting remixes of your Trojan tracks – I haven’t messed around much with any modern DAW software, so I’m sure I’ll be fumbling at first, but hopefully I’ll pick it up soon enough. As I’m also finishing off a second degree and working on more game projects than sanity would dictate, though, it may not happen immediately.

Anyhow, great to meet/hear from you – hope you stick around.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
The Man
Vidmaster

RetroT wrote: Feb 2nd '22, 11:46 I attached the original MIDI files if you want to have a go.
Mostly quoting this so you’ll (hopefully) get notified. I have in fact started remixing these. I’m not 100% sure that this one is done yet, but this is what I’ve got so far (created in GarageBand using mostly EastWest ComposerCloud+ voices):

The Arrival

I’m quite happy with the results. I think I’ve kept the original parts in recognisable enough form (a bit heavy on the CS-80, but that’s just how I roll), while adding some new parts to keep things spicy. I think I’ll be able to do something like that with several of your other tracks too. These are less far along (i.e., I haven't written any new parts for them), but:

No More TV Dinners
Aggressive Marketing
You Were Dead, Now You Are Restored
Lune Noire (easily my favourite of these four; it sounds worthy of Vangelis or Jerry Goldsmith)

I’ll probably continue to work on these soon™, though I do have a couple other projects I’m also focusing on. (Speaking of which, you can find some other music I’ve worked on here if you’re so inclined.)

ETA: Here are all the files as exported from Marathon Music Exploder and then converted from QuickTime .mov to MIDI. This means they are all 60 bpm 4/4.

Here is a version of "Dance the Last Waltz with Me" whose tempo/measure alignment I fixed in FL Studio. I don't know if anything about it is wrong, though, because I haven't really looked closely. It's also missing the custom instruments, obviously.

Also, more remixes in varying stages of completion from more complete:

Command and Control (this one actually has some new parts, but I’m not sure if I’m done adding them yet)

to less complete:

Big Pig
Aggressive Marketing (now with better dynamic range)
Dance the Last Waltz with Me (I still need to export the custom instruments for this one, so the vocal note is nowhere near as impressive as it is in the original version)