Is anyone plannig to make Marathon 2/Infinity RTX?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
idinfinity
Spazeroid

I am not a dev but just think it would be very cool to see Marathon games with RTX lightning like in Quake 2 RTX.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

As much as I would love to see *any* lighting improvements, it's not likely even if we did have people with the time to invest. Marathon maps do not have light sources, rather, brightness is individually set *per surface*. Without going through and adding light sources to the original maps, the best one could hope for is to have self-lit sprites, landscapes, and glowmapped textures act as secondary, supplemental light sources.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

One might also possibly infer the supposed light sources of an existing map from the lighting of the surfaces: what lights would best approximate the illumination of these surfaces.
Zott
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:One might also possibly infer the supposed light sources of an existing map from the lighting of the surfaces: what lights would best approximate the illumination of these surfaces.
This. Slap a light source somewhere in the middle of every convex polygon with an intensity corresponding to the surrounding solid walls. It wouldn't look pretty, but the algorithm could be tweaked.

But, as far as RTX.... Point Lights can already be done in OpenGL, it's just commitment to a different style of real-time light than the existing miners light.