Seeking Dade footage (or vintage netgame footage in general)

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Adminn_1
Cyborg

Hello, comrades. Recently I thought about finding and archiving Marathon playback films from the heyday of online attendance in the late 2000's, particularly 2007-2008, and about starting a video series on YouTube where I use playback clips new and old to show and explain what makes different Marathon players (past and present) great. I would like to know if anyone here has playback videos from that period that they would be willing to share with me. I'm mainly curious to know if anyone has footage of Dade, who may well have been the best of all, but footage of the following would also be great:

RyokoTK
Treellama
Irons
Douchetower (W'rkncacnter)
Erfe
Really anybody

So far I have spoken with and gotten plenty of footage from Irons, and this will no doubt be very valuable. Sharkie Lino also may send me a few videos he has from 2007 and one from 2012 that he thinks is one of his best games (he's at least one of the first people I plan to make a "Greats of Marathon" video on). Unfortunately, neither Irons nor Sharkie Lino have Dade footage and I wonder if it's even out there. I would really like to study his playing and relay what I've learned about it. I even tried the e-mail he left here, but as expected it no longer works.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Please donate to NEFX today. https://ko-fi.com/adminn1nefx
treellama
Vidmaster

Sharkie Lino is a "Great of Marathon?"

I have a ton of pre-internet films from LAN games at college, but never bothered to save many internet games because Aleph One film sync was broken for a long time. Somewhere here I may have a film of the *first* game we played with the new hub/spoke architecture, which is what made internet play possible.
Sharkie Lino

Yep. I am the greatest ever. Add it to the record books!

Adminn, Everything ya needed for the other stuff too should be in that email I sent last night. I'm assuming you got it. Not sure if the 2012 replay requires an older version of the map pack. But I'm guessing you'll say so anyway. No idea why the two I have with Dade go OOS, but he was hosting, so maybe he had some script on or something. I obviously can't remember by this point.
Adminn_1
Cyborg

I did get that, Sharkie, thank you. The 2012 and newer playbacks go just fine, but the old ones go out of sync even with the script you gave me. I wonder if playing them back on a version of Aleph One from that period would yield anything different.

And Treellama, if you do indeed have that playback of the first game you played with that architecture, I would like to see it! I do think that Sharkie Lino is a great Marathon player. I'm not sure when you last played with him, but he's certainly been on top in matches involving players like Windbreaker, Tooncinator, Douchetower, Asdkzx123, and probably even RyokoTK when I last saw the latter play online a few years ago. It's hard to say exactly how the top players of one decade would compare to the top players of another (in either their present state or as they were in that period) -- I wouldn't be surprised if the bar has sunk a bit -- but his techniques are definitely worth examining.
Sharkie Lino

Adminn_1 wrote:I did get that, Sharkie, thank you. The 2012 and newer playbacks go just fine, but the old ones go out of sync even with the script you gave me. I wonder if playing them back on a version of Aleph One from that period would yield anything different.
Oh yeah. I have been using 1.2.1 for those replays (didn't try the beta yet). Maybe that's why, unless you're using that too.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Maybe you already know this, but make sure you set your film profile to a1 in the preferences when trying to play back old films.
Adminn_1
Cyborg

You're right.