How do I access some kind of an AlephOne level editor?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
mrchallah
Born on Board

Hi there. My name is mrchallah. I'm working on a number of VidMaster challenges right now (in Marathon 2)... And it would be very helpful if I could sometimes gain a tiny bit of info on the levels (like how many of a certain type of enemy respawn... or where EXACTLY the starts are in a given level). ...

A long enough time ago I would have opened up the actual M2 levels in Forge and just... taken a look at the level! ... How do I do that in the modern era with Aleph One?

Could I even alter the level the tiniest bit?... Adding extra health cans to practice a difficult part perhaps?

Thanks for the advice,
-mrchallah
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think there's only 1 editor for it. Being Weland.

treellama did do everything for Aleph One. But no texture tool he did.
The Man
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote Visual Mode.lua as well, actually. There’s also Vasara, a modification of the above by Hopper (one of the other main developers of Aleph One). Of course, both of those run within Aleph One itself, not within Weland – it would be a task of at least a year to rewrite the engine in a completely different language (Aleph One is written in C++, Weland in C#, and despite the similar names, C# has more in common with Java than it does with C++).

To modify the map the way you’re looking for, you’ll have to split the map with Atque, edit the individual levels to your taste, and then re-merge.

For more information, check the pinned threads in the Editors section.

(There’s also Forge+, but it’s not finished yet and won’t be able to give you some of the information you want. But it’ll probably be better than Weland once it’s done.)
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

He did?

Oh he did.
mrchallah
Born on Board

Thanks you two! That's super helpful...

Cheers,
-mrchallah