A new game engine for Marathon?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Qweasy908
Cyborg

Researching portal rendering has given me the knowledge that it can work with a 3D game engine. A 3D game engine would be the next step to improve things. I found an old flipcode article that explains how it works and found info on making a visibility tree. A portal rendering engine has to deal with overdraw when it renders a zone the portal is connected to. 3D portal rendering uses view frustum clipping to only render the area that is visible in the view frustum, then it clips a portal to build a new frustum.

I could work on programming it with OpenGL if I knew more about 3D portal rendering.
treellama
Vidmaster

ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Something I'd like, that will never happen, and if it did i wouldn't be able to play it, would be Aleph One VR.
TrajansRow
Born on Board

VR support is already available in Unity, and it wouldn’t be impossible to add it to AlephOne either. The real issue is that games with a lot of independent camera movement (such as an FPS) don’t work well in VR.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

TrajansRow wrote:...The real issue is that games with a lot of independent camera movement (such as an FPS) don’t work well in VR.
That's debatable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBOYUq9km_E

Whether is Marathon or something else, if I ever get a VR system, I will want to play an FPS game on it.

-

But I would be happy just with a new full single player Marathon scenario.
TrajansRow
Born on Board

If this studio has solved the free-locomotion problem, it would be considered a major breakthrough in VR. Maybe they’ve done it (and that would be awesome), but I’d wait for more player feedback before assuming they’re going to be successful.

If you want a new scenario to play, Mararthon: Yuge just came out in 2017. Don’t miss out!
Qweasy908
Cyborg