PSA: Marathon: Durandal XBLA is now playable on Xbox One

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Flowers
Cyborg

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/ ... 1339409408

Apparently two weeks ago the Xbox 360 version of Marathon: Durandal gained backwards comparability for Xbox One. Unfortunately, I only just learned about this today. Now, this is old-ish news, but seeing as how I had to learn about this on my own, I figured I'd put it out there for anyone who was in the same boat as me and didn't know.

I doubt most people here, even those who already knew, care about this. However this means a lot to me personally. Downloading the Marathon: Durandal demo way back in 2009, which only contained Waterloo Waterpark, and liking it enough to get the full game even though the 2.5D textures were alien and foreign to me and gave me a headache, is why I play Marathon to this day. I don't think I would have ever sought out the other games on PC years later if not for Durandal being on the Xbox Live Arcade and being able to convince all of my Halo buddies to buy it with me and get lost in the story levels together that made no sense to us at the time. As such, it holds a special place in my heart and I'm happy to see it back.
raptor200221
Born on Board

Glad to hear that Durandal is finally compatible on XB1. Took them way too long to finally port over this game. I certainly wish that they would remake the entire trilogy on XB1, but the odds of someone porting them again is highly unlikely. :(
"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history"-Georg Hegel
||Legends of Marathon Net Maps|| ||Eternal Legends of Marathon Net Maps||
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Heard about this not too long ago; don't have an XBONE yet, but I do at least remember M2 XBLA as being the first version of any of the games I saw in action.

(Who knows; maybe if this does well enough, they'll consider XBLA-izing M1 and Infinity?)
welcome to the scene of the crash
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

General-RADIX wrote:Heard about this not too long ago; don't have an XBONE yet, but I do at least remember M2 XBLA as being the first version of any of the games I saw in action.

(Who knows; maybe if this does well enough, they'll consider XBLA-izing M1 and Infinity?)
Hope so. They'd need the XBLA HUD plugin for Marathon 1 XBLA as standard though; the magnadoodle shaped original probably won't be accepted by people who only play on/at least started with consoles, unless they have big screen TVs.
treellama
Vidmaster

Who is "they?" Freeverse no longer exists.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

treellama wrote:Who is "they?" Freeverse no longer exists.
I was thinking either Bungie themselves or a (non-Freeverse, obviously) third-party contractor.
welcome to the scene of the crash
General Tacticus
Cyborg

I'd expect Bungie to have the source code and assets archived somewhere, but I highly doubt they would ever be used for anything. Splitting off a team to work on a project *using an engine programed for the xbox360* doesn't strike me as a good investment of work-hours.

That being said, a release of the rest of the trilogy like that would be fun. I'd honestly prefer the xbla engine to be released as open source though, as unlikely as that is.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

I didn't know that. When did they go out of business?
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Haveblue posts on Something Awful, I can send him a PM with an incredibly compelling business offer.