I will play every level in Marathon 2, and comment on them.

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Sharkie Lino

Hey no problem. It was something I had thought about doing for awhile, and I finally got to it.
Flowers
Cyborg

But now the trilogy is incomplete. As far as I know there's now a playthrough thread for Marathon 1, and now Marathon 2, but no Infinity.
The Man
Vidmaster

Ryoko did the Infinity thread many years ago. I have to go to work in a moment and can't find a link, but if you go to the levels at lhowon.org, each level should have a link to his comments.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
RadBurn
Cyborg

What I liked about Infinity wasn't the unintended sequel story or the quality map designs. What I liked about Infinity was the additional content and tools included. It's not that I don't appreciate the quality that Infinity was. Maybe by that time I had outgrown the same interests which kept me from seeing it in the same way that I did when growing up with the other two. Playing through Infinity felt more like a chore than enjoyment and I personally could care less about a walkthrough or commentary. I just don't have any emotional connection to Infinity like I do with M1 and M2.
Sharkie Lino

Flowers wrote:But now the trilogy is incomplete. As far as I know there's now a playthrough thread for Marathon 1, and now Marathon 2, but no Infinity.
http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23& ... n+Infinity
Flowers
Cyborg

Neat. I found his Tempus Irae playthrough incidentally a week ago while not even browsing the pfhorums, I think it was on Lhowon as well. Thought he was a bit too harsh on TI, but I didn't know he had reviewed Infinity. Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a read through.
Playing through Infinity felt more like a chore than enjoyment and I personally could care less about a walkthrough or commentary. I just don't have any emotional connection to Infinity like I do with M1 and M2.
I liked Infinity more than the other games on my first playthrough but I think the other games have a better replay factor. Infinity has a lot of levels that impressed me initially but some levels feel like props for the story, and these prop levels aren't very exciting on your second or third run or any run thereafter. Playing through levels such as Eat The Path and having your weapons taken away so often feels like a chore once you've already played through Infinity.
The Man
Vidmaster

Ryoko also did threads for Rubicon and Eternal. We took his reviews fairly heavily into account when making 1.2, though there were a few cases where we didn't agree with his reviews.

Infinity was the first I played and I still have a soft spot for it. I tend to think Marathon 2 is the most fun to play and probably has the most compelling story, but Infinity has the most interesting level design and most engrossing atmosphere. Marathon 1 has a lot of great moments too, particularly the Pfhor ship levels (I really wish Reg had stayed with the company as he did a great job making levels that felt genuinely alien), but seems the most dated and is definitely the one I've played least often.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Xap
Born on Board

RadBurn wrote: Jan 27th '19, 17:19 What may be so obvious to some ( or many ) Marathon players is the history of "vidmaster." Not me. I couldn't for the life of me recall where I had first become aware of it. Maybe it was some random FAQ online or possibly on my Marathon CD in the extras folder.

I decided to look through the PDF copy of the Marathon 1 user manual. http://archives2.bungie.org/manuals/Marathon_Manual.pdf On page 22 it states "Lessons applicable to the game: Move fast, seize the initiative, wield superior firepower, dive into the melee, anticipate enemy movements, slaughter the defenseless, endure." Also, on page 9 under "difficulty level" it mentions the terms "spazeroids" and "vidmasters." However, I did not find anything in there about the vidmaster oath.

A google search provided me with a page within marathon.bungie.org about vidmasters. http://marathon.bungie.org/vidmaster/vidchallenge.html In January of 1995, Jason Jones of Bungie posted the vidmaster challenge online. This post was made shortly after the game was officially released.
Amazing to me that Bungie still has these Marathon pages up. I guess they really respect their history. The plain HTML layout is so cute now.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

That's Bungie.org, not Bungie.com. It's a fan site, not Bungie's corporate site.
Xap
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote: Sep 9th '21, 07:47 That's Bungie.org, not Bungie.com. It's a fan site, not Bungie's corporate site.
Oh, I see! Impressive that someone managed to get that domain.