Where can I find the Marathon special editions?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
treellama
Vidmaster

Perhaps you would find it less challenging if you corrected the miscognition that expressing and defending a valid opinion is bad behavior.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

The bad behavior she referenced was the trolling she concluded you were doing. If you were not in fact trolling as she thought then I don’t think she’d consider anything you did bad behavior.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I think the issue is she's concluding that stating a valid opinion is trolling, and therefore, bad behavior.

Be careful guys, you're getting dangerously close to inspiring me to create a POLL.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

So how much more needs to be done to get that poll created? I find this all rather hilarious. Definitely went way off topic from trying to find the special editions of Marathon.

On a side note, this argument has made me interested in trying Marathon Yuge.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Wrkncacnter wrote:I think the issue is she's concluding that stating a valid opinion is trolling, and therefore, bad behavior.
Most trolling does indeed consist of simply stating an opinion- by stating it in a place where you know it will be ill-recieved, or in a way that incites unproductive argument like this. Coming into a thread that is specifically about doing things a different way than you prefer, and telling the people therein that they're wrong for doing anything and the one true way is to not do what they are doing isn't just stating an opinion, it's trolling.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

Looking at the flame war that seems to have erupted here since I posted the original thread post, I can only say "Oh God, what have I done?" I just wanted to know if there was a way to add the Marathon 2 Special Edition tracks to the Aleph One game, not trigger an argument on what Marathon should and shouldn't have. I've been there before, only this time I wasn't part of it.
Andrew Nagy
Born on Board

M1A1-SE v1.6 (Special Edition) by Raul Bonilla and Randall J. Currie
Marathon 2-SE (Special Edition) by Bungie Software and Randall J. Currie
Unfortunately, I still can't get the music to play; either the OGG or the MP3 version.
treellama wrote:OpenGL and high resolutions weren't practical when Bungie released Marathon 2. Background music was
It wouldn't have been free, though. Especially if they wanted it to stack up against the menu music, or other games coming out with CD audio. Recall:
Marty wrote:By the way, we really were going to have some in-game music in Myth II, we just ran out of space. It wouldn't have interfered with game-play either, and it wouldn't have been repetitive.
Also:
ravenshining wrote:always run
Are you sure that that wasn't in the original game?
ravenshining wrote:Meanwhile, if you split a bog standard M2 map (windows or Mac), and add a TEXT folder under Resources, dump the contents of this zip therein, merge, and put the SE mp3 tracks in a Tracks folder, you should get music and/or fog.
I don't even know what kind of split and merge you're talking about. Is there some program that extracts a map's resource fork into folders and files?
The Man
Vidmaster

Andrew Nagy wrote:
ravenshining wrote:always run
Are you sure that that wasn't in the original game?
Not only was it not in the original game, but part of the Oath of the Vidmaster is “to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key”, which suggests that ‘always run’ is completely antithetical to how Bungie intended people to play the game. Of course, they also developed it far before the standard key binding for modern FPS games was codified, which becomes obvious when you compare and contrast Bungie’s original default key bindings to Aleph One’s defaults.
ravenshining wrote:Meanwhile, if you split a bog standard M2 map (windows or Mac), and add a TEXT folder under Resources, dump the contents of this zip therein, merge, and put the SE mp3 tracks in a Tracks folder, you should get music and/or fog.
I don't even know what kind of split and merge you're talking about. Is there some program that extracts a map's resource fork into folders and files?
Yes, it’s called Atque. You can grab it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/igniferroque/ And there’s a brief blurb about it (which is some eleven and a half years old) here. It basically does almost everything Forge’s “Merge” command used to do, plus everything the Marathon Map Splitter used to do, plus a bit more, but with a few caveats (it will not merge in resources below 128, for example). Some people have also reported having difficulty getting it to run on Windows, but I’ve always run it on Mac OS, so I can’t help on that account.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
Andrew Nagy
Born on Board

The Man wrote:Not only was it not in the original game, but part of the Oath of the Vidmaster is “to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key”, which suggests that ‘always run’ is completely antithetical to how Bungie intended people to play the game.
They also put the option in in the first place. I never thought that the Oath was meant to be taken very seriously; "punch all switches" when some can't even be reached with the fist, "no difficulty but Total Carnage" when you miss half the enemy designs that way (is there a plugin to correct that yet?), and "never leave a Bob alive" versus "it is your sworn duty to protect Bob". And has anyone even come up with a rationale for the grenades thing?

Thanks for the answers (and for the Atque link).
ravenshining
Vidmaster

Andrew Nagy wrote:"no difficulty but Total Carnage" when you miss half the enemy designs that way (is there a plugin to correct that yet?)

Code: Select all

function Triggers.init(restoring)
  for t in MonsterTypes() do
    t.major = false
    t.minor = false
  end
end
That won't stop the promotion of monsters that are already on the first map you start with, but it will stop promotion of monsters that teleport in or spawn randomly, and all monsters on levels you teleport to.

I never realised a minor hunter could tank a rocket...
Andrew Nagy wrote: and "never leave a Bob alive" versus "it is your sworn duty to protect Bob".
Yeah, I never liked the M2 version of that. So for M1R I changed that line, but perhaps I ought to use the manual text instead of swearing "never to leave a single BoB's killer alive."
Andrew Nagy wrote: And has anyone even come up with a rationale for the grenades thing?
Grenades aren't as plentiful, and there are fun things you can do with them. See an opportunity to create some Air Pfhor? Take it. They also make it harder to harvest Alien Weapons.