Can't run Portal of Sigma

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

I wanted to give this scenario a shot since it's one of the few I haven't played or rifled through yet, and modDB happened to have a working link that wasn't in a .sit file (I'm using Windows). The readme says to put a copy of A1 in the Sigma folder; however, trying to run Sigma just opens the 'select a scenario to play' menu with no scenario to select. A1 then tells me to make sure that the map, shapes, images, and sounds files are all installed correctly.

I try giving those files their correct filenames (Windows listed them all as just 'file'); no dice. Tried moving A1 around; won't work no matter where in the Sigma folders I put it. Even tried moving a copy of those folders into a fresh A1 folder like the modDB description says to; still get an error.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe "SigmaMap.resources" needs to be renamed, since Windows says it's a ".RESOURCES" file and that's not what it's supposed to be. I also notice that Windows Photo Viewer can't display 99% of the texture PNGs, which isn't good (ShapeFusion read the shapes file just fine, though).

Anyone know what's going on? Or failing that, have a working copy of Sigma?
welcome to the scene of the crash
treellama
Vidmaster

Don't rename anything. Make sure Aleph One is in the "The Portal of Sigma" folder, not the "Data" folder. You could also just drag and drop the whole "The Portal of Sigma" folder on top of Aleph One.

What version of Aleph One are you using?
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Welp, re-unzipped Sigma and put A1 back in, and it runs now. :U

Probably not helpful now, but my version of A1 is apparently 20150620.
treellama
Vidmaster

:U
General-RADIX
Cyborg

So, uh, since I've made a Sigma-related thread, and in the interest of not cluttering the Pfhorums:

Did anyone on the dev team discuss what their plans for chapters two and three were? I'm a little over halfway through now (EDIT: I've finished it), and the plot feels kinda bare-bones.
Shocktart
Cyborg

Some scenarios have deficiencies, Portal of Sigma's story is such a deficiency.
Its not as bad as Rubicon however but that may only because of Sigma's map design not requiring much instruction.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

If Sigma's maps are simple/linear enough for most players to figure 'em out on their own, you'd think the devs could've imparted a tiny bit more info on the setting...

Also, think what you will of Rubicon, but at least the main characters had discernible personalities. All I can remember of Seth's is that he doesn't like Pfhor.
Shocktart
Cyborg

General-RADIX wrote:If Sigma's maps are simple/linear enough for most players to figure 'em out on their own, you'd think the devs could've imparted a tiny bit more info on the setting...

Also, think what you will of Rubicon, but at least the main characters had discernible personalities. All I can remember of Seth's is that he doesn't like Pfhor.
What I remember from Rubicon there are levels where you would need instruction the most out of the entire scenario and instead Durandal literally tells you to go fuck yourself and figure it out.

In Portal of Sigma I remember being on one of the most advanced ships in the UESC and its almost completely Derelict until you land on a planet?
The AI Seth at the start throws a UESC officer under the bus for being captured, then a Pfhor AI shows up but doesn't introduce itself formally, then out of nowhere the Stak'pha are suddenly on their last legs and Seth won't stop talking about how slack their jaws are.
At no point until the end of the scenario is the Portal of Sigma ever mentioned as an objective.
As far as I can recall.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shocktart wrote:Durandal literally tells you to go fuck yourself and figure it out.
stuff like this is why rubicon remains the only scenario that writes the canon AIs correctly
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Windbreaker wrote:Can I get this in an image please.
re: typecasting — Please stop.
re: typecasting — Please stop.
Shocktart
Cyborg

patrick wrote:
Shocktart wrote:Durandal literally tells you to go fuck yourself and figure it out.
stuff like this is why rubicon remains the only scenario that writes the canon AIs correctly
Durandal was a jerk but he always gave you directions, the Rubicon Terminal writers just got lazy.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

i think durandals a pretty cool guy cause he escapes universes and doesnt afraid of anything
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shocktart wrote:directions
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

General-RADIX wrote:So, uh, since I've made a Sigma-related thread, and in the interest of not cluttering the Pfhorums:

Did anyone on the dev team discuss what their plans for chapters two and three were? I'm a little over halfway through now (EDIT: I've finished it), and the plot feels kinda bare-bones.
I actually was on the dev team for Sigma (sorta) and the plot felt bare-bones because there was no plot. The rest of Sigma was gonna just be a lot more of the same.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

Ah, bummer. :/ Well, I DID have a feeling that those hints of plot threads might not go anywhere...