Spawn Killing

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
treellama
Vidmaster

The only substantive point of your post is "I'm going to play the way I like, so nyah."

I wonder why you had to waste so many words.
CryoS
Vidmaster

^ long post warning ^
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:The only substantive point of your post is "I'm going to play the way I like, so nyah."

I wonder why you had to waste so many words.
Like I said...
Ares Ex Machina wrote:I cut this stuff out for a reason
It was discarded and never intended to be seen. But somebody wanted to see it so there it is. I don't know if my most recent post had a point. It's just extra details. Although I did end it with what I think is the most important point.
Ares Ex Machina wrote:It's just not worth the frustration â?? it's only a game after all.
Also, don't forget that earlier I said:
Ares Ex Machina wrote:So if you're playing me and don't like my style, tell me the nice way and I'll try to adjust.
So I'm not going to play the way I like, necessarily.
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Dec 5th '08, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

It is time for action rather than (two thousand three hundred and twenty) words:

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/spawn-whiners
Use these scripts when people whine about spawn kills.

Spawn_Blinking.lua: players blink for 10 seconds after spawning, or until they get a weapon, so you know who (not) to kill

Spawn_Invincible.lua: players are invincible for 10 seconds after spawning, or until they get a weapon

Spawn_With_AR.lua: everyone spawns with an AR and some ammo
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:It is time for action rather than (two thousand three hundred and twenty) words:

I now refuse to play in games where these scripts are not used.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:It is time for action rather than (two thousand three hundred and twenty) words:

Awesome. I totally would have tried something like this if I had the skills.

These are great scripts, but I tested them out and noticed a few bugs. For one, you just might have to make Film_Whiners.lua because the films won't play back correclty if the scripts were used when playing (I have little experience with scripts, so maybe this is normal?). Also, the scripts work with older versions of Aleph One, but only for the joiners â?? not for the host.

One last thing. I think you've done a great job, but there is one thing I would change (if you know how), and that's to take away the player's invincibility once he fires the pistol or throws a punch. As it is right now, people can abuse their invincibility by attacking other players while invincible (I'm sure this is bound to happen).

Other than that, brilliant.

Although I just might end up needing my thrill back. We'll see...
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Dec 5th '08, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Ares Ex Machina wrote:For one, you just might have to make Film_Whiners.lua because the films won't play back correclty if the scripts were used when playing (I have little experience with scripts, so maybe this is normal?).
Using the Solo Lua option with the relevant script selected (when viewing a replay) eliminates this problem. It's funny to think, though: how would Film_Whiners.lua allow films to remain synced if Lua guaranteed sync issues?!?!
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:Using the Solo Lua option with the relevant script selected (when viewing a replay) eliminates this problem.
Oooooohh. Thanks dude. You solved my problem.

irons wrote:It's funny to think, though: how would Film_Whiners.lua allow films to remain synced if Lua guaranteed sync issues?!?!
Think? I don't believe I was thinking when I wrote that.
;)

To be honest, I hardly know a thing about Lua. I got kind of amped when I heard about it here on the Pfhorums, because I thought it meant I would be able to make some kickass scripts. So I started reading the Lua manuals. They made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I think it requires that part of the brain I wasn't born with. Or maybe I've just been spawn killed so many times that now I have permanent brain damageamageamageamage

Tree, I'm curious. How long did it take you to create these spawn whiner scripts? Is it something that's quick and easy once one becomes proficient with writing in Lua?
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Dec 5th '08, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Is it something that's quick and easy once one becomes proficient with writing in Lua?
Yes.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
treellama
Vidmaster

Ares Ex Machina wrote:How long did it take you to create these spawn whiner scripts?
Less than one hour.
Is it something that's quick and easy once one becomes proficient with writing in Lua?
Yeah these are pretty simple scripts. Visual Mode.lua took us a bit longer.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

That's good to know. Too bad becoming proficient in it isn't easy (not for me, anyway).