Help on Marathon 2

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
andrewv42
Spazeroid

On Marathon 2, I'm stuck on the level "What About Bob?"

Near the end, when you have to destroy the 2 control panels and escape the lava flood, I just can't get back to the terminal fast enough. Is there a hidden door or something that I have to go through to escape the lava?
Jim
Cyborg

That isn't the end of the level. It tells you to destroy the nearest panel to the terminal first. Do that. Near the second panel is a set of stairs. After you destroy the second panel, run like hell to the stairs and climb like mad. There is a LOT more to the level.
I don't care anymore.
Magnum
Cyborg

There isn't ALOT more to the level but there is more. Don't forget to run, so you don't get burnt up too bad.
The Man
Vidmaster

Incidentally, there's a secret underneath the lava once you punch the wiring, but if you're playing on a higher difficulty setting it requires a rather tremendous amount of skill to be able to navigate it successfully.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
andrewv42
Spazeroid

That isn't the end of the level. It tells you to destroy the nearest panel to the terminal first. Do that. Near the second panel is a set of stairs. After you destroy the second panel, run like hell to the stairs and climb like mad. There is a LOT more to the level.
Thanks, now I'm stuck at the Cathedral level, and I'm sure I saw a thread about it here somewhere....
The Man
Vidmaster

No one ever made a spoiler guide for Rubicon X or Eternal X, did they? Just curious.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Man wrote:No one ever made a spoiler guide for Rubicon X or Eternal X, did they? Just curious.
There's a Rubicon spoiler guide on the old Rubicon site, accessible through a link at the new Rubicon X site, and most of it is still applicable. However, any of the new stuff in Rubicon X is not documented. AFAIK there is no spoiler guide for Eternal. (Of course, you could just PM Pfhorrest.)
Embrace imagination.
The Man
Vidmaster

I don't really need any help with any levels on Eternal, I was just curious. And yeah, I knew about the old Rubicon spoiler guide (it's actually accessible under "3rd party scenarios" from the link he with the King Crimson avatar posted as well), hence why I specified Rubicon X.

MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

The Man wrote:No one ever made a spoiler guide for Rubicon X or Eternal X, did they? Just curious.
I'm surprised no one made a spoiler guide for Marathon RED.
If theres a scenario that needs a guide its RED.
That game is hellaciously fun, but the second from the last level I STILL cant figure out.

I mean, I beat the game, but I never figured out how that level worked. Theres a door you need to open, and by doing SOMETHING this door opens.
But I cant figure out what that SOMETHING is, I can never really expedite clearing that level. Which I really want too, because that level is really creepy and unpleasant.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

MoppyPuppy wrote:I'm surprised no one made a spoiler guide for Marathon RED.
If theres a scenario that needs a guide its RED.
That game is hellaciously fun, but the second from the last level I STILL cant figure out.

I mean, I beat the game, but I never figured out how that level worked. Theres a door you need to open, and by doing SOMETHING this door opens.
But I cant figure out what that SOMETHING is, I can never really expedite clearing that level. Which I really want too, because that level is really creepy and unpleasant.
If you specify what level you are on, I could probably tell you what each and every thing does. The only level I don't understand is that digusting living level. I've beaten RED like 3 times.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:If you specify what level you are on, I could probably tell you what each and every thing does. The only level I don't understand is that digusting living level. I've beaten RED like 3 times.
Its the second one from the last.
I got it. Its not second one to the last. Its the beginning of the last level "END GAME."
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

MoppyPuppy wrote:Its the second one from the last.
I got it. Its not second one to the last. Its the beginning of the last level "END GAME."
That level you've basically just gotta explore the whole place and keep charging up your hit points. There's a room made exposed wires and hallways somewhere, and somewhere around there a door will open that will lead you into another room full of exposed wires and some weird vortex that joshua sends his weed carriers through. THat room is timed and five dimensional, and after youre done with it a door will open and you're done.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:That level you've basically just gotta explore the whole place and keep charging up your hit points. There's a room made exposed wires and hallways somewhere, and somewhere around there a door will open...
There lies the problem. I cant figure out how to open that door every time I run through it. EDIT: (the level I mean.). I run like hell all around until by what seems to be sheer luck the door opens.
It'd be nice to know where the "Platform On" trigger is. Because evidently I'm passing over it twice or something. Because I explore everywhere and it isn't open. But suddenly it is after several passes.

Only explanation is that I opened the door in one pass, and then closed it on my way back to the door somehow.
Or maybe the designer didn't anticipate my movements so I explore everything but don't run across that "one" polygon that solves all my problems.
Last edited by MoppyPuppy on Aug 16th '08, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.