M2 .iso Bug

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
HunterOfShadows
Cyborg

I am of course, referring to the iso from http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

I got a recent hankering to play Trojan again, so I went to go down with the only remaining method to get it running properly on modern systems only to discover...this particular little bug with the m2 iso installer

To quote the TF2 Demoman

"Aw cripes!"

Is there any way this can be fixed to run on 64 bit windows? If not I totally understand, I just figure it doesn't hurt to ask
Zott
Vidmaster

It might be possible to extract the Windows m2 files from the .iso. But I'm going to go on a limb and say that it isn't just the installer you'll have problems with. I believe the .exe for the patched trojen will also be 16-bit, and those are not compatible with x64 Windows.

If you want to give things a shot, you could try changing the .exe of the setup file to .zip and seeing if it will open with winrar. You could then extract the setup files. Or the m2 files might just be in a folder on the disc and the setup .exe just moves them. In which case, "explore" the disc for the files. Then you can patch them. Then try running the patched files in Aleph One.
HunterOfShadows
Cyborg

Zott wrote:It might be possible to extract the Windows m2 files from the .iso. But I'm going to go on a limb and say that it isn't just the installer you'll have problems with. I believe the .exe for the patched trojen will also be 16-bit, and those are not compatible with x64 Windows.

If you want to give things a shot, you could try changing the .exe of the setup file to .zip and seeing if it will open with winrar. You could then extract the setup files. Or the m2 files might just be in a folder on the disc and the setup .exe just moves them. In which case, "explore" the disc for the files. Then you can patch them. Then try running the patched files in Aleph One.
like, as in compressing it into a .zip or literally changing the extension?

I don't really understand what you mean by 'patch' them, if you mean running Trojan via aleph one, that comes with a variety of problems
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

You may be able to install it in a VM running in 32 bit mode, and copy the installed files to your local system. If I recall correctly, it's only the installer that cares about 32 bit, not the game itself.
HunterOfShadows
Cyborg

Wrkncacnter wrote:You may be able to install it in a VM running in 32 bit mode, and copy the installed files to your local system. If I recall correctly, it's only the installer that cares about 32 bit, not the game itself.
Yea that's what I figured I was gonna have to do, that or go get an old XP desktop

Thanks guys, was worth asking to see if it could be done, it's fine if it can't
Zott
Vidmaster

like, as in compressing it into a .zip or literally changing the extension?
Some .exe files can have their extension changed to .zip and then opened in an unzipping program to extract the files contained within.