How does a webpage run without any files?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Cathunter
Cyborg

I went to the Orphanage via ftp to update the page content and found there were no php files (or anything else) on the server despite the pages running as they should. Can someone with more wisdom than I explain how this works?

Cathunter
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Different FTP users see different root directories on a given server. The FTP user for uploading content for the Orphanage does not have permission to see the public HTML directory where the files that make up the visible site live.
Cathunter
Cyborg

One of the ftp accounts I have enables me (or did) to upload the webpage files; what's on the Orphanage pages is my work and I put them in place. Certainly I used to log in to a directory that contained only my files and now it takes me to ftp://marathon.bungie.org, which is apparently devoid of content. Have my root directory and permissions been altered?

Cathunter
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Ah, my apologies, I misunderstood; I was assuming you were some random user trying to upload (or download) something to/from the Orphanage via a public FTP account — I don't remember if that's how the Orphanage works or not, but I think it was before the days of easy web-based uploads — so I was just giving a generic response as to why an FTP account to a server wouldn't see the public HTML directed for that server.

If your FTP account used to show you the public HTML directory and now doesn't, that sounds like a question for Claude. I know he moved some servers a while back and some stuff was down for a while (like myth@borg) so maybe some settings/accounts/etc like yours got lost in the transition too.
Cathunter
Cyborg

Thanks, I'll try emailing him.