Red, complete in A1 at last

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Solra Bizna
Spazeroid

I downloaded Marathon Red from marathon.sourceforge.net, planning to finally beat it (which I never could back when it first came out). To my horror, I found that the included MML was still incomplete, after all these years. The map wasn't red, the interface wasn't red, the weapon HUD elements were wrong... I knew that Ian had done a lot of Fuxing around, so I grabbed a copy of Fux and the original Red release, and set to work comparing Red element-by-element with Infinity using two side by side Fuxes. (And there were also some `clut` resources involved.)

The result: An MML script that fills in the gaps in the existing MML. I don't know if (or how much of) this has already been done before by someone else, but here is mine.

Full list of corrections:
  • Fader properties and colors
  • Death sounds (player now uses VacBob sounds)
  • Infravision colors (everything is shades of red, and infravision no longer distinguishes friends from foes)
  • Item properties (max carried and disabled environments)
  • Interface colors (including overhead map colors)
  • "Radioactive mud" rapidly drains oxygen instead of dealing damage
  • Scenery dimensions
  • Weapon HUD elements
  • Jagermeister switches consume mine packs, and make a mine drop sound on activation (which means the level can now be completed in A1 without using the debug room)
This MML also makes one change not present in the original... the level "Mmmm...Tastes like Evil" tends to eat up all available paths with endlessly respawning beetles, leading to hordes of brain-dead enemies, so I increased the path limit to 512. (This probably affects other levels as well, since Ian loves his hordes...)

MML files aren't allowed as attachments here, so I uploaded it here instead. (2017-05-22 Edit: new URL)

I also made level-specific MML for the Reaver levels, making it so that the Reaver powers don't use the normal weapon HUD elements, but I don't know if anyone else wants that.
Last edited by Solra Bizna on May 22nd '17, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

I thought there was a tool once that would take a Fuxed Infinity and spit out an MML. Oh well, thanks for doing this. I think it should be integrated into the SF release.
Solra Bizna
Spazeroid

treellama wrote:I thought there was a tool once that would take a Fuxed Infinity and spit out an MML.
There was Fuxource, which is surprisingly unhelpful at this task as it outputs entire tables if even one element has been changed (and in source code form, no less)... if I'd been paying attention, I could've used it with `diff` to get the differences, but by the time I realized that I'd already done the manual comparison.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Red can get Fuxed.

(good work, Solra.)