Tempus Irae!

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

This weekend, I started playing through Tempus Irae again since I recently got a nice video card and could crank up the graphics. I never beat it before (becoming bored with it somewhere near halfway last time I tried), but have high hopes for this time around! I'm hoping some others will join me in running though it again, so I can whine about never being able to find my way out of levels, etc., and get some sympathy!

I'm on Wiping Away the Dirt & Glue and am playing on TC, fwiw. Seeing the RED thread inspired me to take this on.

Here's the download link, in case you didn't have it: http://nardo.bungie.org/alephone.php.

EDIT: Downward Spiral was awesome: much better than I remembered it. The singing monks in the temple got me, as did the confessional.
Last edited by epstein on Nov 13th '07, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

I'm inspired. I'll download this thing once I get back to work on Wednesday. I still haven't seen the new textures.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

It kind of frustrated me how you never actually saw civilians.

But it was good nevertheless.
Last edited by Phortiphy on Nov 13th '07, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Kinetic Turtle wrote:I'm inspired. I'll download this thing once I get back to work on Wednesday. I still haven't seen the new textures.
Awesome! I'm having a Dickens of a time trying to get used to TC again, but I prefer the game to be slightly frustrating than boring. The new textures and landscapes are incredible. I marvel at their architectural prowess.

And Pfhort: I think not seeing civilians kept it with the right tone. The majesty of the architecture is emphasized by its emptiness of (immediate) humanity. It's an aesthetic thing.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Tempus Irea is a very well designed scenario. There are some really memorable puzzles in it. Level design is ace as well. As epstein points out, there is some awesome architecture in it that really gives the game an artisitic side.

Also, for anyone thats skeptical on this conversion, dont be turned down by the creators' effort to recreate grassy lawns and courtyards. Although they do look somewhat bad (imo) the level design far outshines this.
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Longinus wrote:Tempus Irea is a very well designed scenario. There are some really memorable puzzles in it. Level design is ace as well. As epstein points out, there is some awesome architecture in it that really gives the game an artisitic side.

Also, for anyone thats skeptical on this conversion, dont be turned down by the creators' effort to recreate grassy lawns and courtyards. Although they do look somewhat bad (imo) the level design far outshines this.
I've never cared much for the "go forward, trigger aliens that spawn behind you, turn around, kill them" sorts of scenarios, but TI has enough eye (and ear!) candy to make it worthwhile. There are some good puzzles, and plenty of hidden areas, and I like the depth of the levels.

I just cleared Towel Boy (after plenty of tries!) and am on to the Gauntlet.
EDX
Cyborg

epstein wrote:I've never cared much for the "go forward, trigger aliens that spawn behind you, turn around, kill them" sorts of scenarios, but TI has enough eye (and ear!) candy to make it worthwhile. There are some good puzzles, and plenty of hidden areas, and I like the depth of the levels.

I just cleared Towel Boy (after plenty of tries!) and am on to the Gauntlet.
I agree... Lot's of detail put into this game to really remove any doubts you'll have about it. The story's a little whacky but the game was built for gameplay, and I think it won't dissapoint.
You know what? Video games kick ASS!!!
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

EDX wrote:the game was built for gameplay, and I think it won't dissapoint.
I'm agreeing more and more. I just finished "The Revealing Science of God" - level 19 - and I was very impressed with it. I thought it was a lot of fun; the respawning ammo was a unique treat, and it encouraged exploration without being confusing. My biggest gripe throughout TI has been my inability to figure out how the heck to get out of levels; this one didn't have that problem as much as most of the others to this point. Moreover, I was able to run through it on TC without dying more than once or twice.

Oh, and even on TC, by this point I've got more ammo than I'll ever need (except perhaps for my shotties).
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

epstein wrote:"The Revealing Science of God" - level 19 -
Haha, I must not have been into Yes yet when I played Tempus for the first time. That's totally named after a Yes song.
Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

I kinda hated the annoying puzzles in TI. They need a "no puzzles" version.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Volcanon wrote:They need a "no puzzles" version.
Like every other FPS out there?

If, by puzzles, you mean figuring out how to get out of levels (ie, a switch opens a door you missed in passing on your way in, or exploring one place of the map opens a completely other part of the map), then yeah, I think it could be toned down a bit. There need to be a few more clues (visual? spatial? not necessarily text-based) about how those things all tie in.

To be honest, though, I've found there to be too few real "puzzles" so far. It's mostly been "hit a switch, figure out what it does." I rank that higher than "kill everything you see," but not by too much.

Now, M1, *that* had some good puzzles in it!
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

I had to restart Cony Ship for Sale because I ran out of grenades. Good times, good times...
Can't speel for hist.
Dannicus
Born on Board

"You Gotta Sin to be Saved" is bugged for me, or have I simply missed something? The key that floats down from the sky isn't opening the lock near the poop shooters.
exc052
Born on Board

Hi, newbie ?, hope this is the right place! Am stuck on Ameseno Italy, not because I can't find my way around--but because I haven't been able to locate a bloody oxygen recharger for 3, 4 levels! :( Looked at the spoiler guide, couldn't figure out how many levels back I'd have to go to find one--or what I'm doing wrong. Any help appreciated, thx! (Running A1 on a PC.) (ps--even looked for the old marathon cheater patch, but am pretty sure it only works w/macs....)
L'howon
Vidmaster

Ahhh....Sin to be Saved. That level was a pain in the rear like no other.. Unfortunately I can't even remember how to beat it :*(
Been too long for me. There is a hidden switch if I remember right though that opens that door. Keep looking!
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
exc052
Born on Board

Hm. Well, in my continuing discussion with myself, I've gone through Tempus a few times now. I'm not interested in Total Carnage or finishing levels as fast as humanly possible: I'm only interested in good design. I like puzzles. So Tempus Irae (and yeah, the story's goofy--I care?) still ranks as one of the best conversions I've seen. The graphics are fun; it's hard to get over the complete unwellness of monks chanting in hallowed spaces while the sound of weaponfire shatters the peace; and the levels are also not so huge they wind up feeling like homework.

// Rant: Don't see the point of Rubicon. I got through a few levels & thought, you know what? I'm not actually having any fun here, this is work. Tossed it. Eternal looked wonderful... but the idea of being punished by not completing levels 'fast enough' was really pretty offensive. I'm supposed to go through some stupid loop because I don't, again, want to race around 100mph the entire time I'm playing? What if I WANT to admire the level design & graphics... at a leisurely pace? Imo, timed levels suck. Timed puzzles, sure. ...As for TGI... sigh. Looked great, again, but if I can't complete a level w/o dying a zillion x because it's too hard, I'm gone. This is recreation. Supposedly. /rant ...I appreciate & respect the huge amount of work that goes into making these conversions, & really want to like them, but keep getting put off by various factors & going 'back' to the oldies but goodies.

So I'll stay playing at Doofus Level even though having made this heinous confession, I'm quite sure no one will ever talk to me here & it disqualifies me from things like TGI. Nope, Tempus is second on my list only to Trojan. I cannot forget those stupid chickens even 10 years after last playing it. Same appeal: levels were a manageable size; well-designed w/a good balance of puzzles, hidden spots, power-ups weapons et al; & again, with the chickens. Well, humor helps.

Speaking of help, if anyone has tips for how to get my copy of Trojan working--on my PC--I'd be grateful. I haven't found a way to install correctly yet, & my days of being able to afford a Mac are long gone. Later, xc
Last edited by exc052 on Sep 16th '08, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.