Beyond Aurora

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I was going through Traxus today for no apparent reason, when I found a scenario called "Beyond Aurora." It has a story in its page with the status for the scenario as incomplete. I searched the title in the archives (the ones with all those Mac files), and nothing came up. What I'm asking is: what was this scenario, and what happened to it?

Here's the link to its page: http://traxus.bungie.org/index.php/Beyond_Aurora
ellio7t
Cyborg

It was never finished.
words
irons
Vidmaster

Also: http://forums.bungie.org/story/?read=48261

I took a look around the time that post was made. Honestly, the story was written too poorly for me to enjoy what little I saw.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wow. A whole crew worked on a scenario for close to 7 years, and gave up. Kinda sad when you think about it. I'm only a single person, and both Dave and DEA have ended with being unfinished. I suppose this is yet another example to others.

I wish there was a demo. =/
irons
Vidmaster

I got hold of Adam Rose, the leader of the Atlantis group, who has restored their site, including files. I'll take a second look at their stuff.

http://beyondaurora.com/
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thanks for the link, irons. I'll have a look at chapter 1 of Beyond Aurora next Saturday. If you get to playing it first, can you tell me how long it is and whether it would be worth recording?
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

pretty sure abetting an enemy is treason
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Your point being?
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Destiny, be sure to update Traxus with your findings.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'll try to remember that. I'll thankfully be recording it for Youtube, so I'll have something to look at.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey, irons, I just tried using the link tonight and it isn't working. What gives? I wanted to download the stuff and possibly record tomorrow.
irons
Vidmaster

Weird. I downloaded the files, but I'll check with Rose before uploading them anywhere. Maybe he changed it back deliberately.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thanks.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well I just managed to get on the site just now. I don't know what happened, but I'm downloading the stuff tonight.
Rabbit
Spazeroid

beyondaurora.com was down over the weekend. My bad. Shouldn't happen again. As for Beyond Aurora itself, Irons and others are correct: The plot was flaky and unrealized. I'm not here to make excuses, but I do enjoy trips down Memory Lane.

Back in the mid-'90s, the "Atlantis Crew" was merely two teenagers who were more interested in making CG animated trailers for Marathon scenarios than producing full-on total conversions. The past scenario works of "Atlantis" and "Dark Rose" were overwhelmingly produced by one single person (Me), and when we started Aurora in 1998, making a total conversion seemed like the next logical challenge. At any one time, there were only about three people tops working on it, and progress was slow. In 2000, I left for college and quit the Atlantis Crew, leaving a revolving door of other people in charge. In 2004, I returned to Aurora after submitting it for college credit as a proof of concept group Computer Science project. I gathered a couple classmates and we hammered out "Chapter One" in three months before putting the whole thing to bed. It is by no means a complete vision of what we intended when we originally started, and Chapter One is most likely confusing, broken, and deeply flawed. Had we never attempted to make it a TC, Aurora probably would have successfully been released as was originally intended: A 40-level scenario with dozens of new multiplayer maps. There were also projects in the pipeline for after Aurora, such as "Toll Forest", which featured a Choose Your Own Adventure form of non-linear gameplay and incredibly large levels. Alas.

Feel free to do a YouTube "Let's Play" if you find it worthwhile! You can also get a hold of me for more information or resources.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

I just got to using the files today, and I've come across a problem. I did everything the instructions told me to do to install the texture stuff, but whenever I click Begin New Game, it loads and quits Aleph One. What's up with it? I'm going to grab the original Atlantis and play that today while I have time.
Rabbit
Spazeroid

Hmm. Those instructions were written literally a decade ago... I may have to repackage the releases soon.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yeah, it's obvious the instructions are pretty old when you're being told to put the Dusk Textures into the Textures folder. I've never had to do anything like that with previous scenarios. I'll be waiting for new instructions or whatever it takes to get Beyond Aurora working.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Rabbit wrote:Hmm. Those instructions were written literally a decade ago... I may have to repackage the releases soon.
Given today's bandwidth availability, you might as well assume that everyone will use the Dusk textures and make that the default package.
irons
Vidmaster

Works for me following the instructions.