I have some questions!

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Cheron

Hi there fellow Marathoners!

A few things are bugging me and I wonder if you lot could help me out?

I downloaded the easy to install zip packages for the Maraseries, but the only one I get fog for is M1A1. I'm guessing this is because as M1A1 was being ported they linked various fogs to certain levels. But of course the M2 and Minf maps werent originally designed for fog and so they arent linked in such a way. Is this right? If so, has anyone made a patch or a map or a script that would give M2 and Inf some fog? That would make those wide open expanses look great!

I get a similar sort of problem with contrail transparency - only M1 gives my grenade and rocket contrails transparency (though all three give me liquid trans.), so is one of my scripts not working? Where can I get a script that gives the suitable weapon effects that sought after see-through look?

Also, are there any good OS X icons out there for the various Marathons? (Rubi has a nice one) I hate looking at that green thing all the time for EVERY game.

Finally, a more open-ended question: Since Apple has now moved to a completely intel range (I'm using an Intel mini with the Mac OS X SDL version of A1 btw) are we gonna keep those crazy SDL pref buttons etc. or try and turn the macosx sdl into something that actually looks like its on mac os x? Personally, I'd prefer the latter - I don't like those quirky sounds every time I hit a button.

Thanks!
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

I like the quirky sounds...its Marathon for god sakes...not Macathon X...er...yeah...I mean I use a Mac but I don't want some damn aqua interface...unless someone makes a third party one for the themes options.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
treellama
Vidmaster

Cheron wrote: I get a similar sort of problem with contrail transparency - only M1 gives my grenade and rocket contrails transparency (though all three give me liquid trans.), so is one of my scripts not working? Where can I get a script that gives the suitable weapon effects that sought after see-through look?
The easy to install zip files should come with Transparent_Sprites MML already installed. Make sure it's in your scripts folder?
Finally, a more open-ended question: Since Apple has now moved to a completely intel range (I'm using an Intel mini with the Mac OS X SDL version of A1 btw) are we gonna keep those crazy SDL pref buttons etc. or try and turn the macosx sdl into something that actually looks like its on mac os x? Personally, I'd prefer the latter - I don't like those quirky sounds every time I hit a button.
The old Aqua version of Aleph One is going away, all the builds will use the SDL interface in the future. It's themable, so an Aqua theme isn't out of the question for those who, for whatever strange reason, think their games should look like their word processors, mail programs, etc.
Cheron

Yes the scripts are firmly the scripts folder but they ain't doing tha' job! What gives? I get exactly the same problem on my emac too. M1 and Rubi give me nice smoke so I know I CAN get smoke but 2 and Inf dont want to!

I want smoke! [MFrown]
treellama
Vidmaster

How about this, go to http://nardo.bungie.org/alephone.php and get the "Shots Fired" zip file. It's got new high-res bolts, contrails, etc. I know they're transparent because I use them!
Zott
Vidmaster

I have those, they are awesome. Especially the alien weapons, you can barely tell someone replaced those with nonbungie ones!
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Cheron

Yeah that shots fired pack is dead good (esp. the fusion shots), but I dont use it cause of the pfhor projectiles - the original sprite was a definite cone, this one just seems to be a spiky ball.

But I'm still interested as to why my trans sprite script isnt woking, and ive made some progress. I noticed that NONE of the opacity values in the sc ript were set to anything less than one. So I punched in a few 0.5s, tested them and voila! See through fusion shots!

BUT the rocket contrails didnt respond! I set them to 0.5 but nothing happened :(

This is the crucial line right?

<!-- Rocket contrail -->
<texture coll="4" bitmap="5" opac_type="3" opac_scale="0.5"/>

That is what i set it to, is anything wrong with it?

I get 0.5 opacity for the rocket explosion, but no contrail luck.

And there is no seperate grenade contrail right? They both share the same sprite?
treellama
Vidmaster

Cheron wrote: But I'm still interested as to why my trans sprite script isnt woking, and ive made some progress. I noticed that NONE of the opacity values in the sc ript were set to anything less than one.
They don't need to be set to less than 1--that's the scale to apply to the generated mask, not the opacity itself. Opac_type 3 will generate a semi-transparent mask all by itself. The values in the script are fine.

If you just dislike the Pfhor projectile, why not remove it from shots_fired?
Cheron

I'd like to remove the pfhor projectile from the pack but I don't know how. :/

I had a look inside the tex folder and it had a load of .dds files and i didnt know which was the projectile. Or should I just erase all refs to it from the script?
treellama
Vidmaster

Just remove it from the script, and the game will go back to using the built-in Pfhor projectile.
Cheron

I've looked in the script (Transparent_Sprites script) but there doesnt seem to be any reference to it. [MFrown]

So the reference must be in the shots.mml script but that only links to the dds files, so which one of them is the projectile?
Freek

â?¦whether it is possible to set "Shots Fired" in AlephOne for Windows?...
I apologize for a question, but to ask no longer who and nowhereâ?¦
treellama
Vidmaster

cheron: You want to remove it from shots_fired.mml You can use my program Aorta (http://sf.net/projects/aorta) to look at the Tempus Irae DDS files and figure out which one to remove

freek: shots_fired works fine in Windows. Just follow the instructions that come with it.
Freek

Treellama:

If it is possible another question.... it is written in instruction - "â?¦some
of the transparency commands in the original script conflict with the texture
replacement commands in "Shots.mml".... Is it necessary to edit scripts?
But I am a not programmer unfortunately.... Prompt me please from what to begin?
treellama
Vidmaster

You don't need to edit scripts, simply remove "Transparent_Sprites.mml" when you install shots_fired
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote: You don't need to edit scripts, simply remove "Transparent_Sprites.mml" when you install shots_fired
Actually, with the current Shots Fired script, you use the shots_fired.mml and the edited Transparent_Sprites.mml that comes with it.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Freek

Treellama:

On my computer â??> GeForce4 MX 440â?¦â?¦.
Whether it is possible to know the system requirements of «Shots Fired 1.1.»
I apologize for it bad English and for to that set such questions.
I simply try a bit to tell about «Aleph One» and «Marathon»
here - http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=25:19181
Do I hope it is possible?
treellama
Vidmaster

Shots fired will work fine on a geforce 4mx

Unfortunately I only understand English, so I can't read your link
Freek

Treellama:

Excuse me - ....ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=25:19181 - It is a forum in Russia...
but... I install "Shots fired":
1. age-old version of "M2:Durandal" for Win95
2. version of "M2:Durandal" http://source.bungie.org/
Result:
1.Changes were not...
2...only alien gun - transparent flash <- so must it be? That does give "Shots fired"?.
Prompt me please where it is possible to look screenshots (gallery) "Shots fired"&"Marathon"?
treellama
Vidmaster

Make sure you're using OpenGL mode
Freek

Treellama:

Preferences -> Graphics -> Rendering System -> OpenGL ... 1024x768 ...
Last edited by Freek on Nov 14th '06, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Freek

Shots Fired 1.1???
...it is not screenshots - there is nothing...;)))
Last edited by Freek on Nov 14th '06, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

...Mine look friggin' ugly...maybe it's my graphics settings...Especially the fusion...
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Freek

Treellama:

Beautifully... but does not work while...
Scripts -> renamed...
video options -> ...are the best

...as painted in a document does not start "Shots Fired"....

P.S
Fusion Bolt Sprites? - install without problems, all began to work at once
Weapon Enhancement Pack? - install without problems...etc
Last edited by Freek on Nov 16th '06, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.