Aleph One 1.0b1

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

gmanyo wrote:I'm not sure this is a bug, but I can't see the crosshair when I look at the overlay map. Is it impossible to render both?
Protip: keep an eye on your guy. The little "you are here" triangle on the map is centered exactly where the crosshair would point. (I flicked map mode on and off to line up shots in the original M2.)

I hadn't considered it before, but I'm inclined to leave this behavior. If the crosshair were shown, it would make it that much harder to read the map around your current location, as the crosshair lines could obscure or be confused with map lines.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Zott wrote:I was playing a game online and it felt as though I was surviving rockets I shouldn't have.
I tried your film in versions of Aleph One going back to 0.21.2, and it played back fine. The way films work, if the damage calculations had changed, the film would go OOS. So you just got lucky, but it looked like you needed some luck in that match! [MTongue]
Zott
Vidmaster

Yessh, well I was seeing if my predictions were correct, which is why you saw me stand still a couple times.

Possible other oddity here. Playing some replays back while in third person mode will cause them to go OOS. For example, that replay I posted earlier, watching it in third person causes me to die and go through the teleporter at one point, which doesn't happen in the regular game. This is a problem but not THE problem I'm going to mention.

0.23.2 Behavior:
Watch Single Player replay, can go 3rd person.
Watch Multiplayer replay, cannot go third person (This is OK considering the reason above)
Beta 1.0 Behavior:
Watch Single Player replay, can go 3rd person.
Watch Multiplayer replay, cannot go third person (This is OK considering the reason above)
BUT:
Play Single Player
Watch Multiplayer replay, CAN go Third person

So I guess you should keep it consistent.
[attachment=4657:Test_Match.zip]
Here's a multiplayer replay you could use, or atleast I was using it. Note, if you go third person immediately when starting this replay, the game will sometimes crash. (Something about trying to put a camera in a non-existent polygon I'm assuming) [Couldn't get this particular issue to repeat every time]

Another thing I noticed;

1. Watch a replay, from Scenario A
2. Then try and play single player using a map from Scenario A and the game will say A system error occurred when trying to read the map or saved game file.
I was doing the switching fairly rapidly, but hesitating in the replay and on the menu still seemed to result in the same message. Trying to start single player again will work properly
Seems to work fine in 0.23.2 in entirety though.

Good luck with these. [MWuh]
Attachments
Test_Match.zip
(2.97 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Zott wrote:Yessh, well I was seeing if my predictions were correct, which is why you saw me stand still a couple times.
Oh, I thought you were just admiring the nosecone on that rocket.
Playing some replays back while in third person mode will cause them to go OOS.
Yeah, that shouldn't happen.
Note, if you go third person immediately when starting this replay, the game will sometimes crash.
And that definitely shouldn't happen! I can reproduce all of these chase-cam bugs here; thanks for bringing them to our attention.
1. Watch a replay, from Scenario A
2. Then try and play single player using a map from Scenario A and the game will say A system error occurred when trying to read the map or saved game file.
I can't reproduce that one, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Is the map in "Scenario A" the same one that's selected in the Environment prefs? What, if anything, do you do between step 1 and step 2?

Thanks for uncovering these, Zott!
Dodopod
Cyborg

I tried out the beta today and noticed a couple of things:

Glow maps aren't working
The game crashes whenever I shoot monsters and am using WEP in both OpenGL classic and shader

Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit
Gfx Card: Radeon HD 3450
Counter Attack on the Meta
Zott
Vidmaster

The replay's map just has to be included in the same pack of the map you are trying to play next.

Here's a video.
http://www.2shared.com/file/PhhgfOpb/Video_for_Alephone.html

Watch the video on repeat to understand the full effect.
IE It will work properly the second time you start a new game.

Looks like after the replay Aleph One is not releasing priority over the map file.
Last edited by Zott on Mar 6th '11, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Zott wrote:Here's a video.
Gotcha, thanks for this! Unfortunately I still can't trigger it myself, but at least I know I'm not misunderstanding the problem, so I can look for clues in the right spot.
treellama
Vidmaster

Dodopod wrote:Glow maps aren't working
What does this mean?
The game crashes whenever I shoot monsters and am using WEP in both OpenGL classic and shader
Is there anything useful printed to Aleph One Log.txt?
gjditchfield
Born on Board

screenshot for Sourceforge bug report 3198132 (Maverick Ubuntu, Intel Arrandale chipset, Mesa OpenGL library).
Sourceforge's file uploader isn't working for me at the moment...
Attachments
landscape.png
landscape.png (335.2 KiB) Viewed 7228 times
Dodopod
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:What does this mean?
When I run the game in OpenGL(Shader), bloom appears around things like fighter staffs, but not wherever (for example) Goran's texture sets are supposed to glow.

Before:
[attachment=4661:NeCedeMalis_0009.png]
After:
[attachment=4662:NeCedeMalis_0008.png]
Attachments
NeCedeMalis_0008.png
NeCedeMalis_0008.png (479.41 KiB) Viewed 7232 times
NeCedeMalis_0009.png
NeCedeMalis_0009.png (684.23 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
Last edited by Dodopod on Mar 7th '11, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Dodopod wrote:When I run the game in OpenGL(Shader), bloom appears around things like fighter staffs, but not wherever (for example) Goran's texture sets are supposed to glow.
Thanks! I'll look into it. Do you have gamma corrected rendering enabled?
Last edited by treellama on Mar 8th '11, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Dodopod
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Thanks! I'll look into it. Do you have gamma corrected rendering enabled?
It wasn't enabled in the screenshot but toggling it doesn't seem to have any effect.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Okay, there is a definite problem with landscapes on my machine. I disabled all scripts and plugins, and started a game of Ne Cede Malis. Rendering in Software, there is no problem. Rendering in OpenGL (Classic), the landscape is 100% white.
[attachment=4678:OpenGL_Classic.jpg]
Rendering in OpenGL (Shader), the landscape is a gradient from black to some solid color, and flickers. This time it's white, but I've seen it in other colors, including multiple colors in one game.
[attachment=4679:OpenGL_Shader.jpg]

This is with Aleph One 1.0b1 and happens both in fullscreen and windowed modes. I'm on a MacBook Pro with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, an ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card, and MacOS X 10.6.4.
Attachments
OpenGL_Shader.jpg
OpenGL_Shader.jpg (87.52 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
OpenGL_Classic.jpg
OpenGL_Classic.jpg (99.26 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
treellama
Vidmaster

I believe this is due to NPOT texture support being buggy on your card. NPOT textures will be disabled by default in beta 2, so give it another try there.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Maybe this was by design, but in case it wasn't, CTF lua seems to be broken in the latest beta. I don't see any errors in the log, so I know I don't feel like trying to figure out why. Oh WELL!
treellama
Vidmaster

W wrote:Maybe this was by design, but in case it wasn't, CTF lua seems to be broken in the latest beta.
What does "broken" mean?
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

In this context, I think it was ignored entirely. Running with the script had no visible effect, including any in-game error message.
treellama
Vidmaster

"Reduced to fragments" is different than "ignored entirely"

I don't even know how to interpret the former in this context. Does Aleph One save a handful of Lua files that are subsets of CTF Lua? Are CTF players limited to their own fragments of the map?

Can anybody else reproduce this who can describe adequately how it's going wrong? Are other Lua net scripts working in beta 1?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

AlephOne breaks into a bunch of pieces. It took me 5 hours to clean up all the pieces of files spread out over my hard drive.