Can LUA access player names?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
xilef
Cyborg

Simple question, can LUA access the players name?
If it can, what code is needed?

And also, can it handle parts of strings? So if a player's name had [BoB] infront of it can lua give them a napalm flame-thrower?
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

DOC UMEN TATION exists for a reason

"what code is needed" is not a good sign
dude, seriously. dude.
Vladtepes
Cyborg

Aleph One Lua Scripters' Guide
lua-users wiki: String Library Tutorial

(Short answer: yes it is possible but don't count on me to actually code you that)
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
interion
Cyborg

This question is obviously a precursor to scripts designed to help players cheat based on clan identifiers in their names. Next he'll probably be asking how to reduce damage they take or how to create an aim bot. Let the clanwars begin!
irons
Vidmaster

[qoou] would win anyway.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
The Thug
Vidmaster

I beg to differ.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
megabyte
Vidmaster

I had made a reasonable administration script (team management) a while back for this one unruly guy who is always online and always likes to unbalance teams. It allowed me to change people's teams during the game.
I can polish it up and upload it once I finish survival if you guys like.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
interion
Cyborg

Megabyte wrote:I had made a reasonable administration script (team management) a while back for this one unruly guy who is always online and always likes to unbalance teams. It allowed me to change people's teams during the game.
I can polish it up and upload it once I finish survival if you guys like.
You're not going to be more specific about who this player is?
megabyte
Vidmaster

Starts with K, ends with ampfer.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
treellama
Vidmaster

I find the metaserver's .wank command works well for unruly players. If enough people do it, he'll get the message.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 24th '10, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.
interion
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:I find the metaserver's .wank command works well for unruly players. If enough people do it, he'll get the message.
Don't forget .mute, and .mutepm which K------ recently forced me to look up because of all his pm spam.
xilef
Cyborg

Actually I was thinking of having admin weaponry, so admins get a gold AR with no stat differences, it's just gold.

Originally I wanted to add custom torsos for admins, but shape patch files can't be that big, perhaps custom legs...
treellama
Vidmaster

I am the only Marathon admin on the metaserver. I'm flattered you would consider this, though.
xilef
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:I am the only Marathon admin on the metaserver. I'm flattered you would consider this, though.
I mean admins of their own net games, when a host has my admin script running.
treellama
Vidmaster

You're determining who hosts a game by their player name? And then calling him an admin?

What's wrong with you?
Last edited by treellama on Feb 24th '10, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Jeezus, Treellama, makes sense to me.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

heh, have fun expecting ppl to trust games hosted by you with such a script around, doesn't matter if you actually use it to your advantage.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
irons
Vidmaster

Bobwithkeycard wrote:heh, have fun expecting ppl to trust games hosted by you with such a script around, doesn't matter if you actually use it to your advantage.
EXPERIENCED CHEATER DETECTED
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

dude, get off my case. Being familiar with Aleph's lua you know as well as I do how to determine who's host player in a game and that a script can act accordingly. The only difference is that despite this knowledge you say about yourself to have standards not to misuse this information to cheat but imply others most certainly would.
I don't quite understand why you keep displaying this rude behaviour towards me, I have barely even had a real chat with you over the years.
irons
Vidmaster

Bobwithkeycard wrote:I have barely even had a real chat with you over the years.
I was only kidding. I thought the giant red text would be a hint.

This thread does remind me of a story, though. In the days before A1 had "latency tolerance," I saw fit to create an "admin script" that kicked players from the game. This was also before Lua could detect action triggers, so the "interface" was ultra-primitive. But even more primitive was the method of kicking: Lua printed a certain character to the lucky player's screen, thus crashing his game. It also played an assimilated VacBob sound, which, with a little luck, said "I LOVE YOU MAN" right before the guy got kicked. I gave it to one person (he will remain nameless until I see him reading this thread) and he abused the hell out of it, so much so that Treellama was compelled to fix the bug that enabled the crash in the first place. Those were good days.
treellama
Vidmaster

There are plenty of other ways to cause the game to assert out (if Game.over is too refined for you); this one had to be fixed because it was an array overflow that could have been exploited.

Admin scripts are playing with fire, though. Lua scripts should treat everyone equally, including the host; otherwise you run the risk of being accused of cheating.
irons
Vidmaster

I knew I should have shared the exploit with hacksforever instead of telling you :C
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

I was only kidding. I thought the giant red text would be a hint.
aight, good story then, I guess. On that topic: might be worth a feature request...to be able to play specific sounds inside a sound slot, such as that assimilated bob sound. Would be funny to have a scripted bob running around in circles on the map somewhere saying certain stuff on specified occasions...their sound library is quite big :)
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Bobwithkeycard wrote:aight, good story then, I guess. On that topic: might be worth a feature request...to be able to play specific sounds inside a sound slot, such as that assimilated bob sound. Would be funny to have a scripted bob running around in circles on the map somewhere saying certain stuff on specified occasions...their sound library is quite big :)
Attachments
bobwithfail.png
bobwithfail.png (43.77 KiB) Viewed 7492 times