Aleph One 1.4

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
treellama
Vidmaster

Aleph One 1.4 is available from https://alephone.lhowon.org

Changes:
  • Adds support for Lua ephemera: optional scripted effects like precipitation or gore, that can be turned on and off without affecting saved games, films, and net games
  • Adds a new "Editor" mode that integrates better with Weland for seamless visual mode editing
  • Adds new high frame rate interpolation. Choose 30 fps for authentic classic play, 60 fps or 120 fps capped, or unlimited fps
  • Adds many new Lua API functions. See Lua.html for details
  • Adds support for weapon hot keys. Hot keys 1-9 switch weapons, but can be overridden by Lua scripts; hot keys 10-12 are reserved for Lua scripts
  • Restores some retro/nostalgia features in the software renderer: every-other-line mode, and 8-bit color
  • MML/Lua can now set the maximum inventory on a per-difficulty level. This should add versatility for balancing difficulty in new scenarios
TrajansRow
Born on Board

This is the most exciting release in a long time! Thanks for all of the hard work!
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Holly cow! That's excellent work Treellama, really great job!

Thank you!
Zott
Vidmaster

Thanks again for fixing the external sound issues.
The interpolation is lovely!
The Man
Vidmaster

Undoubtedly the best release of this engine to date. Thanks so much for your hard work.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
heliomass
Born on Board

This is awesome. It's really heartening to realise Aleph One continues to get updates like this and the engine continues to be cared for so it continues to work on current platforms.

I've partially finished levels I keep meaning to come back and finish, and the improved integration with Weland sounds fantastic. It's inspired me to pick up those lose threads again and get back to some level design.

Thanks Treellama for all your hard work!
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Now I want to play with 8-bit color, just because I can. Is it extensible to 4-bit color? :lol: Wonder what hi-res textures would look like...