Extracting/Editing .sndz file for M1A1?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
BaratusII
Spazeroid

Hello there, I am new to the forums. I was wondering how to edit .sndz files in M1A1 because I thought of making a sound replacement mod, I did try using ShapeFusion 0.6 to open it but gave me the error saying that the format for the file is unknown.

I remember reading about Aleph One getting a update allowing it to read original Marathon 1 data, So that being said. Is it possible to edit the .sndz files on Windows (my primary OS at the moment) or will I have to use Mac OS to do so? (I do have a iMac G3 laying around though.)

EDIT : The program was ShapeFusion (Not Shapeshifter!)
Last edited by BaratusII on Mar 3rd '20, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

• M1A1 uses sndA, not sndz
• do you mean ShapeFusion?
• ShapeFusion can edit M1A1's sndA files, but not the original sndz files
• most people probably play the original files now rather than M1A1
• to edit the original sndz Sounds file, you need a mac or emulator, with ResEdit, and something like MacBinary III to encode/decode files when moving them from or to the Mac and PC
• if you're doing some novelty sound mod that's the way to go. but if you're thinking about making some kind of addition or improvement, you might want to check out M1R
• TheMan was working on remastering the M1 sounds, but he may have abandoned that project as he was collaborating with me on that and we had some unrelated personal drama and he no longer speaks to me. He is still around though working on WMAiD and may have some of that work still
BaratusII
Spazeroid

ravenshining wrote:• M1A1 uses sndA, not sndz
• do you mean ShapeFusion?
• ShapeFusion can edit M1A1's sndA files, but not the original sndz files
• most people probably play the original files now rather than M1A1
• to edit the original sndz Sounds file, you need a mac or emulator, with ResEdit, and something like MacBinary III to encode/decode files when moving them from or to the Mac and PC
• if you're doing some novelty sound mod that's the way to go. but if you're thinking about making some kind of addition or improvement, you might want to check out M1R
• TheMan was working on remastering the M1 sounds, but he may have abandoned that project as he was collaborating with me on that and we had some unrelated personal drama and he no longer speaks to me. He is still around though working on WMAiD and may have some of that work still
Ah oops, I meant ShapeFusion, silly me :P (Might of confused myself on the name between ShapeShifter and ShapeFusion). Well anyway thanks for the info, I,ll go ahead and setup my iMac G3 :D