Marathon Aleph One ports for Switch?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

While we do have the ios ports, being able to play all three games besides the XBLA Marathon 2 on console sounds like a good idea, especially if said console doubles as a portable one. I don't know if it can include mods as extras as well (due to permissions and all that) such as Eternal, Tempus Irae and Lost Levels, EVIL and Rubicon, but it would be nice.

We currently have most of the Doom games on Switch with 64 to follow at some point, but I think the superior game needs to be added to Switch as well, to show console players the underrated gem that is the Marathon Trilogy without being limited to the second game only like on Xbox. It could also allow for local co-op and multiplayer deathmatches of Marathon Infinity flavours, as well as netgames.

Even though it will likely still be freeware which garners no argument from me, I'd still be willing to pay for Switch Marathon if such a release was made and came with a price tag.

Anyone else agree, or is the idea of Switch Marathon too far fetched?
ravenshining
Vidmaster

I've never heard of a Switch until now, and given the pace of console development, I expect it'll soon be eclipsed by the next thing. As much as Marathon might benefit from exposure, multiple generatinon of consoles have come and gone over Aleph One's history and it would seem futile to devote what limited resources we have to porting A1 to a platform that will so quickly fall into obsolescence.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

ravenshining wrote:I've never heard of a Switch until now, and given the pace of console development, I expect it'll soon be eclipsed by the next thing. As much as Marathon might benefit from exposure, multiple generatinon of consoles have come and gone over Aleph One's history and it would seem futile to devote what limited resources we have to porting A1 to a platform that will so quickly fall into obsolescence.
That may be true, but unlike the Wii U or the Pippin, the Switch may go the way of the Xbox Classic and 360 in terms of years active given its popularity. That said, the obstacle is the porting of the engine which could take ages, possibly longer than the consoles lifespan so you still have a point. I don't know when the original ios ports were even started.

I still cross my fingers for the day though, even if Freeverse end up porting their XBLA Marathon to it and giving M1 and Infinity similar treatment, though that probably won't happen either.
General-RADIX
Cyborg

ravenshining wrote:I've never heard of a Switch until now, and given the pace of console development, I expect it'll soon be eclipsed by the next thing.
I mean, the Switch is a Nintendo console. I honestly doubt it'll fall by the wayside that quickly.
welcome to the scene of the crash
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

General-RADIX wrote:
ravenshining wrote:I've never heard of a Switch until now, and given the pace of console development, I expect it'll soon be eclipsed by the next thing.
I mean, the Switch is a Nintendo console. I honestly doubt it'll fall by the wayside that quickly.
^
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

This might be my time to do something.

I had signed into the Nintendo Developer portal for quite some time now. So maybe I can help with this. Even if I'm OBVIOUSLY not a good speaker, I can possibly get a port running on the Switch.

Well I'm not a programmer so someone else would do the coding. I'm just an animator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdcizxAlkjI
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

Screamernail wrote:This might be my time to do something.

I had signed into the Nintendo Developer portal for quite some time now. So maybe I can help with this. Even if I'm OBVIOUSLY not a good speaker, I can possibly get a port running on the Switch.

Well I'm not a programmer so someone else would do the coding. I'm just an animator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdcizxAlkjI
That's alright. I can't code either; the best I've done has been basic HTML and CSS in college (which is how I was able to use HTML in the story page) and the only game I could program was a breakout clone crossed with space invaders on gamemaker for an assessment in a different class (which was difficult to debug).

If you are able to get a port together with someone else coding, would it be possible to include the best of the mods as extras (with the creators' permission)? Eternal on the go would rock and Tempus Irae and Lost Levels on Switch is too good to pass up as well (what with the Italy setting and the reference to Mario 2).
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

I can ask someone on the NDP (Nintendo Developer Portal) and see if someone is willing to do it. I too want Marathon to be more than just a computer game.

EDIT:
The GPL license is an obstacle now. I think I'm powerless in this situation so maybe Treellama could help out here. Or something.