So disappointed with M1R

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
metroidblues
Born on Board

You guys modified the game way too much. Redoing the music, redoing the levels... so much effort that could be used for something else, say, a true M1 version that has HD textures for graphics, weapons and enemies like M2 or M:I, but keeping Alex Seropian's great original score, for example.

Sorry, guys, that might be just me. But I'm a purist and I like the original product and I like enhancements as much as the next person as long as they don't go too far, if you know what I mean.

Cheers.

[a1logo]
treellama
Vidmaster

There are HD graphics for most of that. Just not aliens.
metroidblues
Born on Board

Yeah, I know, but I mean, we could have HD graphics and keep the original score and the original levels. I started playing and there are 3 title screens instead of 1 before the first level begins? There could be a balance between enhancements and the original stuff, but that might be just me. Sorry for the whining, not trying to be an asshole or anything, I swear lol.

But for the time being I'll stick to the 1.3b3 version with HD weapons texture plug-in.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

M1R is being done by one person, it's not like as a community we came together and decided to make these changes and spend a bunch of time on it. Obviously one person cares enough to make these types of changes, but it's just a fan project. If you don't like it, just pretend it doesn't exist.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

metroidblues wrote:You guys modified the game way too much.
Mostly it's just me, though a number of people have chipped in. While treelama and wrk have been wonderful at helping me figure out the odd technical issue, they aren't contributors and not responsible for the project in any way - so don't blame them.
metroidblues wrote:Redoing the music, redoing the levels... so much effort that could be used for something else, say, a true M1 version that has HD textures for graphics, weapons and enemies like M2 or M:I, but keeping Alex Seropian's great original score, for example.
There already are HD textures and weapons available for M1, but they can only go so far when the levels are so bare. If you don't like Craig Hardgrove's music, it's quite easy to swap them out.
metroidblues wrote:But I'm a purist and I like the original product
...says the person who's been wanting M1A1, with it's screams, double fists, lack of grenade climbing, monsters that don't activate properly or speak enough, lack of weapon refill, corpses that don't dissappear on lava, goo that doesn't damage you when you pass over it, etc.

M1A1 tried to recreate M1 for A1, and fell short. M1R aims to bring it the rest of the way there, and then add more detail and content in ways that aren't possible with plugins. For example, adding new textures and variations of textures isn't possible with just a plugin, you have to edit the map and shapes files.
metroidblues wrote:I started playing and there are 3 title screens instead of 1 before the first level begins?
It's an unfinished alpha. As in, incomplete, buggy, and not even ready for beta testing, but since I'm mostly doing it on my own I put what I've got out there. The version you likely tried was from last October, and an immense amount of progress has been made since then, including nixing that crash-prone triple-screen start, which was only there because the levels in between are unfinished.

I did say that I'd be releasing 0.0.13-alpha on Monday, and rather hoped you would wait until then.
metroidblues wrote:Sorry for the whining, not trying to be an asshole or anything, I swear lol.
It is quite rude, opening up a new thread just to shit on someone's hard work. If you have some constructive feedback you're welcome to share it on the M1R thread, but grabbing everyone's attention just to say "this sucks and you're wasting your time making this" is awful asinine.

Reactions like this are part of why M1R has gone off in as radical a direction as it has. If all the so-called purists just complain without actually attempting to join in and contribute, the only people who contribute are going to be people who want more change.

That said, I have chased off at least one person who wanted to take things waaaaay too far away from the spirit of Marathon. And there are ways in which M1R does definitely go too far by my own standards, because it's experimental, unfinished, and a lot of ideas are being tested out at once. Some of them will make the cut, some won't.
metroidblues
Born on Board

Well, sir, I’d like to congratulate you on your work, I didn’t mean to shit on it, that wasn’t the intention at all. Truly sorry about that. I have no idea how you do the things you do, I’m just a mere player… and a fan. What I’m trying to say, I guess, is that I want the game to be as original as it can be with some enhancements and some corrections. Think of it like a director’s cut. So, HD textures for scenery, weapons and enemies are welcome, as long as you keep the levels as the creators created them. I appreciate what you did in the first level, I just prefer playing the original one. No need to get angry, that was a cool twist to the game, I gotta admit. Also, some things like the death scream, or double fists, I don’t mind at all, because I like to think of them as corrections to the game, but that’s just my opinion, I’m pretty sure a lot of people are going to disagree with me. Anyway, I’m very happy with the latest version and I’m playing it on total carnage with the HD graphics and I’m loving it. And I’m looking forward to newer versions. Keep up the good work!
ravenshining
Vidmaster

metroidblues wrote:...Think of it like a director’s cut. So, HD textures for scenery, weapons and enemies are welcome, as long as you keep the levels as the creators created them. I appreciate what you did in the first level, I just prefer playing the original one. No need to get angry, that was a cool twist to the game, I gotta admit. Also, some things like the death scream, or double fists, I don’t mind at all, because I like to think of them as corrections to the game...
I've caught a lot of flak for doing what I do, so I apologise if I have been impatient with you.

A "director's cut" is basically the idea I'm going for. Marathon 1 was rushed out. The creators intended to add more features to the game, but, being a small team, running past their deadline, and by one admission spending too much time playtesting, they weren't able to throw in everything they wanted. A *lot* of what I asipire to do, beyond detailing geometry and such, is creating those missing elements that Bungie either didn't have time for, or hadn't yet developed the capability for.

Lua in particular has a lot of potential to make interesting things happen. Last year, when I veered away from M1R to work on Eternal, Lua was a scary and confusing thing, but after everything I've learned from Eternal I'm excited for the possibilities. I've already used it in the version coming out tomorrow to trigger the S'pht rebellion when you kill the cyborg controller, to herd BoBs on the alien ship to a window visible from the Marathon for a rescue mission, and to have levels that are partially pressurised, partially vacuum; and that's just the beginning.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

In the Marathon world, as it is totally lacking of any commercial aspect, the purpose of a scenario, modification, even a short story of three or four levels, is to provide pleasure to the author by story telling, artwork, or demonstrating a particular skill. If others like it, that's a bonus.

Unlike other games such as D___, D_____, or H___, if'n you don't like the new work you can continue to play the original. That's the charm of Marathon.

Some play the new
Some play the old
And There're those who,
Ever so bold,
Do what they do
Telling tales twice told.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.