M1 player doesn't scream when he dies

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
metroidblues
Born on Board

Hello everyone,
this is my first post here, I love this game and I hope to make friends here and play it with you guys!

I have a question regarding M1. I remember I had an older version of the game (aleph one) that when I died in the game, my character made a death scream very similar to M2 and M:I. I deleted that version and now I downloaded the newest version and when I die, my character does not make any sounds. What can I do about it? Is there an specific version of M1 aleph one that when he dies, he screams?

Sorry about the whining, but I love this game, and I have to have every single feature on it.

Thank you!
ravenshining
Vidmaster

In the original Marathon, the player does not scream upon death. You probably heard the player screaming in M1A1, which was an adaptation of Marathon to Aleph One made before Aleph One supported using the original M1 data files, and had a number of inconsistencies.

If you want more features, there are more plugins and such available for M1 than for M1A1 I believe, so you'll just have to live without screaming. Or, you could test out M1R (version 0.0.13-alpha to be released Monday), which is meant to be as feature-laden as possible, but the player doesn't scream there, either, as I considered that an M1A1 bug, not a feature.
metroidblues
Born on Board

Well, if you say it's a bug, not a feature, than I'll live without screaming, but I noticed something interesting. I was playing the other day, I was on the third level, I guess, and I got crushed by some pillars at the end of the level. The player does not scream when he dies, but when he gets crushed, he screams a different scream, similar to when he dies incinerated. Shouldn't that scream be absent as well? That's the latest version by the way.
treellama
Vidmaster

We matched the death noises to the original game :)

http://forums.bungie.org/story/?read=64461
metroidblues
Born on Board

I have no idea what you're saying...
treellama
Vidmaster

In the first Marathon, the player only makes noise when he dies to flame or crushers (and not lava!). So that's what Aleph One does when you're playing original Marathon.
metroidblues
Born on Board

I get it now. Even though, I gotta admit, I would like to know which version he screams when he dies because not only that’s a cool feature, there’s also the possibility of using two fists instead of one. At least that’s how I remember that version.
treellama
Vidmaster

That was M1A1, a fan conversion of Marathon to work with Aleph One. If you go back all the way to version 0.23 in SourceForge, you can get it and the data files will still work with the latest version. That’s the one where you start out in a Pathways Into Darkness pyramid!
metroidblues
Born on Board

Again, sorry about the whining, but the version I played had the death scream, you could use both fists AND it DIDN’T feature the Pathways Into Darkness pyramid intro. But, anyway, thanks for clarifying it for me and enlightening me. I might know this game for 20+ years but I’m a total Aleph One noob...
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I thought there was an intermediate version of M1A1 with the PiD intro edited out but otherwise all of the Infinity engine behaviors still in place before real M1 compatibility was implemented.
treellama
Vidmaster

That would be the one that came with Aleph One 1.0. It’s listed as Marathon (A1) in the scenario MML.

So many versions to choose from, but the only good one is the newest / most authentic. I never enjoyed M1A1 and didn’t realize it’s because so much careful combat was designed into Marathon and then ruined by the M1A1 developers.