Aleph One 0.23

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
treellama
Vidmaster

Aleph One 0.23 is now available from http://source.bungie.org/get and http://marathon.sourceforge.net/

Major highlights for this release include an entirely new modern 3D renderer option, a plugins system, PNG screenshots, Lua API improvements, and bug fixes. You can read the complete release notes here: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/m...e-20100118.html
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

The download from http://marathon.sourceforge.net/ won't open. I get a "not recognized" message.

OS X 10.6.2. Tried both the default expander and stuffit's.

Will try the other link.

::edit::

uh... seems like it redirects to the same place...

downloading it anyway.

::2nd edit::

Nope. Doesn't work.
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jan 20th '10, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Don't want to edit again

Trying again with Chrome. It warned me that the file could "damage my computer". I ignored the warning an it's downloading now.

--

It worked. What the hell?
Last edited by ukimalefu on Jan 20th '10, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

ukimalefu wrote:...
Good story, bra.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
treellama
Vidmaster

Just to make sure, I tried to download it here. Downloaded fine, and mounted right away. I would check your system configuration, starting with uninstalling Stuffit. That program is a bane!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

epstein wrote:Good story, bra.
Missedisland
Cyborg

Great build, lot's of new features and improvements! Thanks
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Just to make sure, I tried to download it here. Downloaded fine, and mounted right away. I would check your system configuration, starting with uninstalling Stuffit. That program is a bane!
I've only had problems downloading stuff from simplici7y and now this. zips and DMGs are always handled by OS X without a problem. Stuff it handles RARs. No problem.

And since the download was fine with Chrome, the problem must be with Safari.

Maybe Safari doesn't like Marathon. Maybe it's going rampant.
Enzan
Born on Board

ukimalefu wrote:And since the download was fine with Chrome, the problem must be with Safari.

Maybe Safari doesn't like Marathon. Maybe it's going rampant.
Safari's a crapshoot in terms of downloading. Use other browsers to download things. Problem solved.
Dugit
Vidmaster

I use Firefox. Never a problem.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
DeepThought
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Major highlights for this release include an entirely new modern 3D renderer option
Wow.

If this is ture, then this is truly a step in a great direction for aleph one and marathon in general. I can only imagine the possibilities...

However, I don't really understand how this works right now. "renderer option" implies that it is under graphics > renderer, but the only thing there is software, open gl classic and open gl shader. There is no modern 3d option, unless I'm mistaken. So yeah, someone enlighten me.

QUOTE(Alan)So that means ALL YOU PEOPLE who AGREED WITH W'RKNCACNTER ARE STUPID, AND THAT MEANS HE'S IGNORANT, AND THAT MEANS ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO AGREED WITH HIM ARE IGNORANT TOO! So I'm not ignorant which makes me not diluted. YOU ARE.[/quote]
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

DeepThought wrote:"renderer option" implies that it is under graphics > renderer, but the only thing there is software, open gl classic and open gl shader.
Software = same as Software option from 0.22
OpenGL (Classic) = same as OpenGL option from 0.22
OpenGL (Shader) = brand new renderer Treellama's talking about
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

DeepThought wrote:However, I don't really understand how this works right now. "renderer option" implies that it is under graphics > renderer, but the only thing there is software, open gl classic and open gl shader. There is no modern 3d option, unless I'm mistaken. So yeah, someone enlighten me.
Really? That's weird. I have a OpenGL (TRUE 3D) option. Maybe download it again?
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Recent releases of Aleph One have a limited color palette for the invincibility/teleport effect. As near as I can tell, this defect began with the version released on 1/2/2010.

Original static effect:
[attachment=3540:original_static.jpg]

Current static effect:
[attachment=3539:current_static.jpg]
Attachments
original_static.jpg
original_static.jpg (727.94 KiB) Viewed 8170 times
current_static.jpg
current_static.jpg (678.04 KiB) Viewed 8171 times
Dugit
Vidmaster

That's a good question. When I first played Aleph One, I wondered where the static went with invincibility and teleport, as I found it was replaced by alternating plain color. Somehow, Rubicon got past this. So static's back? Cool.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

W wrote:Really? That's weird. I have a OpenGL (TRUE 3D) option. Maybe download it again?
I believe there's also a script you must choose, and a map with textures made for the full effect.
treellama
Vidmaster

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Recent releases of Aleph One have a limited color palette for the invincibility/teleport effect. As near as I can tell, this defect began with the version released on 1/2/2010.
Well, I thought I was pretty clever, the new Aleph One saves the operating system in the PNG screenshot's metadata, so I don't have to ask every time.

But you outsmarted me and converted to JPEG!

I see this here on my Mac. Is that what you have?
Last edited by treellama on Jan 23rd '10, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:That's a good question. When I first played Aleph One, I wondered where the static went with invincibility and teleport, as I found it was replaced by alternating plain color. Somehow, Rubicon got past this. So static's back? Cool.
there's a checkbox in the renderer options called 'static effect'. if it's checked, you see static. if it's not checked, you don't.

that's where it went.
dude, seriously. dude.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Thanks. Huzzah! Static! [MGrin]

treellama
Vidmaster

Purple and green static is "fixed" in SVN, no need to file a bug or provide any useful details.
severburn
Spazeroid

I've used both Firefox and Safari to try to download Aleph One, and every time the .dmg file is all that's there and it says the image is corrupted after it gets downloaded. Is there anything I can do about this?
treellama
Vidmaster

severburn wrote:I've used both Firefox and Safari to try to download Aleph One, and every time the .dmg file is all that's there and it says the image is corrupted after it gets downloaded. Is there anything I can do about this?
What version of Mac OS X are you running?
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Well, I thought I was pretty clever, the new Aleph One saves the operating system in the PNG screenshot's metadata, so I don't have to ask every time.

But you outsmarted me and converted to JPEG!

I see this here on my Mac. Is that what you have?
Ha, sorry about that. The only reason I converted was because one screenshot was a .png and the other one was a .bmp -- and one of them wasn't showing up when I previewed my post. Windows XP.
dschungltiga
Born on Board

And why is my PowerMac G5 Dual 1,8 Ghz way too slow to give me some decent FPS using the OpenGL shading mode? :(
irons
Vidmaster

What are the specs on your video card?
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps