Aleph One Dreamcast Port

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Anthony817
Born on Board

Hello everyone. I am making this topic only because the 2 other Dreamcast threads were closed when I searched for them. Ok here is the deal. I am personally requesting that some very talented coders PLEASE pick up where the guy named Bero left off on Porting Aleph One! The problem is this. I have no way of getting a Keyboard or Mouse for my Dreamcast. I really wish I could, and I will definitely try my best to get one in the future, but I really want to play Marathon on my Dreamcast in my living room. No I do not want the Xbox live version. ;)

The only way to play this awesome series on the DC is to have a Sega DC Mouse and Keyboard, and you must finish the game in one setting, since the saves are not working. The game is already half way there, its fully ported, but only needs some smart people to code the controls to the controller. The only reason it was never finished is because the same guy was porting Quake 1, 2 and Duke nukem and Rise of the triad all at the same time. He lost intrest in the games, so they have just sat unfinished. You guys in the Aleph one community are my only hope to have the game working like a full retail Dreamcast game.

Please somebody just take a look at it for the Dreamcast scene? We have very few FPS releases nowadays.

Thanks for your time guys, its very appreciated. [MGrin]
Anthony817
Born on Board

W wrote:I'm on it. I'll have it done in 2 weeks.
What? You are serious? Would you like the links for the previous version? Wow, if you freaking really did this you would make the whole DC scene so freaking happy! I won't tell my friends till it gets released, I want it to be a total surprise! ;)

Edit, here is the page you can download it from. Its already in cdi format, but do you need the original files or something? Or can you work with a ready to burn image?

Marathon Trillogy
Last edited by Anthony817 on Jan 15th '10, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

Anthony817 wrote:What? You are serious? Would you like the links for the previous version? Wow, if you freaking really did this you would make the whole DC scene so freaking happy! I won't tell my friends till it gets released, I want it to be a total surprise! ;)
He's not serious?he's just being his usual sarcastic self. Since you're obviously new to the Pfhorums community, you might not be aware that topics such as these that are requests for specific content typically get ignored. Sorry to say, but if you were serious about wanting a Dreamcast port, you've come to the wrong place, as there isn't much hope that you'll get such a large request filled out by such a small community.
Anthony817
Born on Board

Marathoner325 wrote:He's not serious?he's just being his usual sarcastic self. Since you're obviously new to the Pfhorums community, you might not be aware that topics such as these that are requests for specific content typically get ignored. Sorry to say, but if you were serious about wanting a Dreamcast port, you've come to the wrong place, as there isn't much hope that you'll get such a large request filled out by such a small community.
Ha I figured as much. That was too damn fast of a reply anyhow! [MLaugh] Lol, well it will never get finished if nobody asks and presses the issue. I have to have the Mouse and Keyboard on DC to play the Duke Nukem port also, which aint bad considering I am a big PC FPS gamer, so I guess its time to try to get a damn KB/Mouse. I wanted them anyways. ;)
treellama
Vidmaster

Anthony817 wrote:Lol, well it will never get finished if nobody asks and presses the issue.
On the contrary, it will only get finished if somebody who knows how to do it wants to do it, and does it. Your asking contributes nothing towards making it happen.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:On the contrary, it will only get finished if somebody who knows how to do it wants to do it, and does it. Your asking contributes nothing towards making it happen.
I suppose his asking could lead to someone who is bored but capable picking up the flag and running with it. This isn't very likely, considering if anyone here knew how to do it and wanted to do it, they would have already done it. Part of the challenge is that the people who contribute to the actual work that gets done around here are ones who do so because they love the game and want to see it improved and/or working in specific ways. They don't get paid, and because it's a hobby, things get done when they get done.

The developers around here tend to be sarcastic and/or rude when people ask them to do things -- and they have the right to be, because we as consumers just leech onto whatever it is they happen to want to do. So, don't take it personally, Anthony... it's just their way of reminding us that we should just be thankful for what we have, and that we don't have to pay a dime for it.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
treellama
Vidmaster

epstein wrote:it's just their way of reminding us that we should just be thankful for what we have, and that we don't have to pay a dime for it.
That was not at all the reason for my reply, it was to convey the meaning of the post itself, nothing more.
epstein
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:That was not at all the reason for my reply, it was to convey the meaning of the post itself, nothing more.
Well, either way, we don't pay a dime for Aleph One, and we should be happy for what we have.

And while I'm at it, where's that lua script that will write my thesis for me while I play?

Slacker.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
Anthony817
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:On the contrary, it will only get finished if somebody who knows how to do it wants to do it, and does it. Your asking contributes nothing towards making it happen.
Well I have every right to ask, as do the coders have every right to turn down a request. I know good and well that they don't have to do anything because of a simple request from a fan. I was only implying that most of the legwork is already done, and I was trying to ask in a polite way. I was never under the impression that it was owed to me. All I was doing was tossing out the idea, I know good and well that the request most likely would not get filled, however is does not hurt to throw the idea out there. As stated before, I will just try to find a Mouse/KB bundle for under $15 on Ebay.
treellama
Vidmaster

Why did you quote me in your reply? I didn't say anything about anybody being owed anything, or what you should or shouldn't ask for.
megabyte
Vidmaster

Hey Tony. I love your cereal, but it would be cheaper, more fulfilling, and would give back to both the dreamcast and alephone community to code it yourself. I find this to be true every time I contribute to an open source while teaching myself some code.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Anthony817
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:Why did you quote me in your reply? I didn't say anything about anybody being owed anything, or what you should or shouldn't ask for.

No, not to sound cross. I simply meant that I know asking for it = getting it free, therefore it equates to me not contributing to anything. I know what you were saying, so I tried to make a relative reply. Basically I got from that quote that nobody will make it lest they already want to or have the desire to do so. ;)

Megabyte wrote:Hey Tony. I love your cereal, but it would be cheaper, more fulfilling, and would give back to both the dreamcast and alephone community to code it yourself. I find this to be true every time I contribute to an open source while teaching myself some code.
Well, I have no experience in coding or programming what-so-ever. So it would take forever for me to get up to par and learn the "ins" and "outs" required for the job. I just reckoned that since it was already half way there, that it would be more fruitful for me to come here and ask the professionals, rather than to ask some DC homebrew coders that really have no interest in the series...

I just like to sit down with a cold beer in front of the TV and enjoy the perks of having a Computer game on my TV, with saves and joypad controls fully functional is all. XD
Last edited by Anthony817 on Jan 16th '10, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.
VirtualX1
Cyborg

I got one question, why the dreamcast? (Other than the fact that it has been worked on before.)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
dschungltiga
Born on Board

VirtualX1 wrote:I got one question, why the dreamcast? (Other than the fact that it has been worked on before.)
It's quite easy to play homebrewn games on the DC; just download, burn, put it into your console and have fun! :-) Works for like every DC; no copy protection, except for the "newest" models I think, which were just very few (that's one of the reasons for it's early dying, I guess... what a shame).

Besides, the DC controler is the perfect controller for FPS (compared to Keyboard and Mouse). All those homebrown ports (Doom, Quake I and II -- and III officially) were very nice to play.
Anthony817 wrote:QUOTE(Anthony817)I just like to sit down with a cold beer in front of the TV and enjoy the perks of having a Computer game on my TV, with saves and joypad controls fully functional is all. XD
Well, that isn't possible with Keyboard and Mouse, isn't it? :-|

Just forget about Marathon DC and have a happy Marathoning with AlephOne; BumpMapping, HiRes textures and TCs included. :-)
You would have to get a proper seating area to play with KB and Mouse on the DC, anyway.

Seating area... is that right? Could you say that?
Aw man, my english lessons are sooooooo long time ago. :-(
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

So you decided to come here to ask those coders, who weren't even able to finish at least one stable, useful map editing tool (including myself) or a modern OS alternative to the Shapes editor Anvil? löl.
Are you trolling? Weland works better than Forge does.
dschungltiga
Born on Board

RyokoTK wrote:Are you trolling? Weland works better than Forge does.
Yes, you're right. Sorry, I should have mentioned.
No, I was referring to those unfinished map editors.

Edit:
Isn't Weland made by Treellama? I thought so, and because of that, I didn't mentioned it; Tree is an AlephOne coder! ;-)
Last edited by dschungltiga on Jan 17th '10, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
interion
Cyborg

tiga wrote:Yes, you're right. Sorry, I should have mentioned.
No, I was referring to those unfinished map editors.

Edit:
Isn't Weland made by Treellama? I thought so, and because of that, I didn't mentioned it; Tree is an AlephOne coder! ;-)
Who?
Image Image
Anthony817
Born on Board

VirtualX1 wrote:I got one question, why the dreamcast? (Other than the fact that it has been worked on before.)
Well, the reason I want this on my Dreamcast, is because...

1. I sold my 360..

2. Homebrew games require no modding to the system.

3. its the only gaming system I have for now....(My gaming PC with my DX10.1 ATI 3870X2 that I payed $480 for 2 years ago died. So no good PC for a while.)

4. Its already halfway ported, but no fucking saves work.

Oh, and this PC I am on here is so fucking horrible its still got AGP slots, and is way too underpowered to play Marathon with all the decent gfx... Its that bad I know. [MAngry]

Just forget that I ever asked, obviously I already said that I will just buy a DC mouse and KB, and I guess I will just say forget about ever having saves on it.

Oh, and the final reason really is that I am collecting old 90's FPS games on my DC, so I have all the popular ones except Duke Nukem and Blood, the latter of which was never ported. I even have Heretic and Hexen and like a billion Doom 1 and 2 mods that span across 2 cd's.

Most people will never understand the Dreamcast or its die-hard fans, mainly because in our minds it was the last true hardcore gaming console, and had online play and a web browser out of the box. The PS3 and Wii were like 6 years after the fact.

I mean, how many new systems have first party Mouse and Keyboard peripherals nowadays?
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Play another game. I can tell you nobody here will put out the effort to help. sorry.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

Anthony817 wrote:AGP slots
mararthon ran on computers with graphics squeezing through an ISA bus, which was taxed even further by the then-popular programming method of drawing triangles and fills manually, after doing depth sorts and shading in local memory by hand. the only thing you might not be able to use on your fancy early-to-mid 2000s computer is the recent pixel shader additions, but i would be shocked -- shocked! -- if a dreamcast could either.

no opinion about the rest of this, just -- kids! you don't know how good you have it.
dude, seriously. dude.
Anthony817
Born on Board

thermoplyae wrote:mararthon ran on computers with graphics squeezing through an ISA bus, which was taxed even further by the then-popular programming method of drawing triangles and fills manually, after doing depth sorts and shading in local memory by hand. the only thing you might not be able to use on your fancy early-to-mid 2000s computer is the recent pixel shader additions, but i would be shocked -- shocked! -- if a dreamcast could either.
no opinion about the rest of this, just -- kids! you don't know how good you have it.
Like I already said, I will just buy a Dreamcast Mouse and Keyboard. I must have stated this 3 or more times. What more do you guys want me to say? I just asked if someone would finish the already made port, nothing more.

Thanks for all the replies, but its all for naught.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

it might entertain you to know that i only read the first and last fifth or so of your post, so i completely missed the actual request and was just being abusive for the joy of it. even funnier, i (co)wrote gamepad support for alephone! if you hadn't left me wondering what a keyboard and mouse have to do with anything, i'd never have known what your point was.

and you're right: writing gamepad support would probably be an easy task for someone who can barely program and who also owns a dreamcast. you and i both hit one out of two. (as a prophylactic against further discussion, if you suggest emulation, i'll add 'who is not lazy' to the above list to re-disqualify myself. besides, if you don't want sucky controls, you'll want to test it out on original hardware anyway.)

-- edit --

also, good work keeping relatively level-headed in this thread; this is the pfhorums equivalent of a hazing ritual.
Last edited by thermoplyae on Jan 17th '10, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
Anthony817
Born on Board

thermoplyae wrote:it might entertain you to know that i only read the first and last fifth or so of your post, so i completely missed the actual request and was just being abusive for the joy of it. even funnier, i (co)wrote gamepad support for alephone! if you hadn't left me wondering what a keyboard and mouse have to do with anything, i'd never have known what your point was.
and you're right: writing gamepad support would probably be an easy task for someone who can barely program and who also owns a dreamcast. you and i both hit one out of two. (as a prophylactic against further discussion, if you suggest emulation, i'll add 'who is not lazy' to the above list to re-disqualify myself. besides, if you don't want sucky controls, you'll want to test it out on original hardware anyway.)

-- edit --

also, good work keeping relatively level-headed in this thread; this is the pfhorums equivalent of a hazing ritual.
Thanks fir the kind words. ;)

Wait, so let me get this straight. Are you saying that you might be up to the task provided I test it out for you on original hardware?

Oh btw, I am not a teenager, so I know how to brush off the rude comments and keep calm. ;)
Anthony817
Born on Board

I know it has been a long time since I created thiks thread, but I just thought I would come back by and ask if you thought about making your joypad plugin compatible with Dreamcast?