floating HUD

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
treellama
Vidmaster

Dodopod wrote:Would it be possible to use this to make a M1A1 HUD that covers 3/4 of the screen but looks similar to the original M1 HUD?
Yes!
Dodopod
Cyborg

Yes!
Cool.

Also, I'd like to point out the landscape smearing that happens when you look up using the HUD script. Not sure if anyone pointed that out (or even has that problem, though I'm assuming they do since you can look higher than you otherwise could).[attachment=2962:smearing.PNG]
Attachments
smearing.PNG
smearing.PNG (703.26 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
Counter Attack on the Meta
Fishman92
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dodopod wrote:Cool.

Also, I'd like to point out the landscape smearing that happens when you look up using the HUD script. Not sure if anyone pointed that out (or even has that problem, though I'm assuming they do since you can look higher than you otherwise could).[attachment=2962:smearing.PNG]
I never noticed that! I don't think that happens when I use it.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dodopod wrote:Also, I'd like to point out the landscape smearing that happens when you look up using the HUD script.
The smearing problem is actually due to turning "fix_h_not_v" on in the MML. This flag expands your view in fullscreen mode, which preserves your side-to-side vision at the expense of letting you look up further than you're normally allowed. For film buffs, you get "pan-and-scan" when fix_h_not_v is false, and "open matte" when it's true.

If you're bothered by this, you can do two things to minimize or eliminate it:

1) Set "fix_h_not_v" to "false" in the MML, or remove the MML that sets it. This will (mostly) prevent you from looking up far enough to notice the smearing, but you may feel cramped side-to-side.

2) Run in a more widescreen ratio. At a 2:1 aspect ratio, the "fix_h_not_v" flag won't matter; the problem gets worse the further away from 2:1 you get (your screenshot was 1.33:1). Version 1.1 of the FloatingX HUD includes instructions for changing the aspect ratio.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
treellama
Vidmaster

3) Draw a taller landscape replacement texture :D
TychoVII
Cyborg

Here are some in-game shots of the net stats in action. This version will be released shortly.

Last edited by TychoVII on Aug 13th '09, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
"We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart."
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

It looks great, but why doesn't it show kills/deaths? I like to see that.

And delay/jitter? how is that useful after the game?
TychoVII
Cyborg

FLOATINGX HUD v1.2

http://ripethings.com/~robert/Marathon/FloatingX_v1.2.zip

CHANGES IN v1.2:
* Added support for net game statistics
* Further improved HUD scaling at different resolutions
* Added transparency setting for HUD background (can be found near the top of the lua script)
"We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart."
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

[MGrin]
treellama
Vidmaster

Just had a chance to try this out, it's pretty good!

I made a couple modifications to mine, which I think are beneficial:Commented out line 31--I like to see the scores when I'm dead so I know if the person who killed me suicidedChanged current to desired on lines 177 and 178 so the weapons are displayed when you pick them, like the classic HUD
Great work, guys!
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Can't check ping. I just tried that when hosting a game.
treellama
Vidmaster

Are you using preview 2?

Did you read the release notes?
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Are you using preview 2?

Did you read the release notes?
Yes, preview 2.

And, no, I didn't.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Commented out line 31--I like to see the scores when I'm dead so I know if the person who killed me suicided
I meant to keep the scores up after death, but I forgot to fix that. Thanks for bringing it up.
Changed current to desired on lines 177 and 178 so the weapons are displayed when you pick them, like the classic HUD
Player.weapons.desired was added after Preview 2 was released. We decided to keep the script working for those who don't compile A1 themselves. [MSmile]
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
treellama
Vidmaster

ukimalefu wrote:Yes, preview 2.

And, no, I didn't.
From the release notes for preview 1:
Add a "Network Stats" display (accessed by pressing the non-number-pad 1 key, by default), which displays color-coded latency, jitter (standard deviation in latency), and CRC errors. Consequently, the .ping command has been removed. Every second, stats are also sent to joiners, who can access them with the same key. You must be connected to a gatherer running the preview build to receive stats updates.
Vladtepes
Cyborg

I tested that tonight (I know, I'm late),
with the two quick fixes from Treellama, and last A1 preview...

One word: Amazing!

Works very well, even on the old G4 laptop I am playing with for now, and it is just gorgeous.
I love especially the small animation when you are damaged

I had a quick look at your code, it seems for now everything is hard coded.
Do you plan to abstract it a bit, so it can be adapted to other scenarios?
Last edited by Vladtepes on Sep 5th '09, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

it doesn't work for me. i see the gun, nothing else, sometimes i see nothing (the AR has no visual) and i was in singleplayer on a mac running the newest pre-release of aleph one. all of the problems were in the ammo and gun box in the corner.

EDIT: the error says something along the lines of "string_'1d00 blah attempted to load something..1930)(" they go by kinda fast.

EDIT2: what would also be cool is that theres no tarnish or wear on the stuff, but as your health goes down, it gets more broken, and then it shatters when you die. idk if its possible, but thats how id do it.
Last edited by envy on Sep 6th '09, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
Enzan
Born on Board

Envy wrote:it doesn't work for me. i see the gun, nothing else, sometimes i see nothing (the AR has no visual) and i was in singleplayer on a mac running the newest pre-release of aleph one. all of the problems were in the ammo and gun box in the corner.

EDIT: the error says something along the lines of "string_'1d00 blah attempted to load something..1930)(" they go by kinda fast.
You've put the graphics in the wrong place. The script can't find them.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

what should it be called? i put the folder (nothing changed) into a new folder called Textures.
Enzan
Born on Board

That should work. But if you aren't seeing the images, it's not finding them. Do you have both scripts in your Scripts folder? Did you select the right one in your options?
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

select the lua, correct?
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

ok i redownloaded my entire infinity game, and it worked for a while, but now i cant see it at all. no errors no nothing. what do i do?