No noclipping cheat?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

Marathon RED is the only game I actually had to resort to using CHEATS to get through (specifically invincibility). Now I discovered a stupid bug in that map called whats his face's nightmare where I can't put a mine on an X in a wall to get through and it looks like I'll have to start the map over from the beginning. I read somewhere that you can't save the game until you blow up a wall (or both of them) but I'm not sure if this is true. Only one way to find out, right? Having no clipping would make this so much easier... [MErr]
treellama
Vidmaster

If you have Cheats.lua installed, you can teleport:

Code: Select all

Players[0]:teleport(0)
will teleport to polygon 0
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Marathon's engine is exclusively portal-based, which I believe makes a noclip cheat impossible. You can't not be in a polygon, at least in two dimensions.
sweatervest
Cyborg

Crater Creator wrote:Marathon's engine is exclusively portal-based, which I believe makes a noclip cheat impossible. You can't not be in a polygon, at least in two dimensions.
Doom had a no clipping cheat. Basically the character will jump around vertically to match heights with whatever sector he is currently in. From what I have noticed you stay at the same height until you get close enough to a sector with a different floor height, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. In fact, with the original Doom walking outside of walls revealed some limitations on how the renderer worked (particularly how it draws floors).
irons
Vidmaster

Great story.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

The reason you can't get past here is because you're probably not using a script that makes grenades act as chips. So either find a chip or write a simple script which makes chip insertions accept grenades.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shadowbreaker wrote:The reason you can't get past here is because you're probably not using a script that makes grenades act as chips. So either find a chip or write a simple script which makes chip insertions accept grenades.
The hell?

In this level, you actually have to place grenades to blow parts of the level up. No chip switches or anything like that.
Embrace imagination.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Projectiles cannot alter map geometry. Go in forge, and click where you have to insert the grenades. I'm 100% sure they'll be chip insertions.
CryoS
Vidmaster

dude dude dude dude, i though i'd told you.
http://www.pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2987&st=20
its all thar, no need for stupad cross on wall shite.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shadowbreaker wrote:Projectiles cannot alter map geometry. Go in forge, and click where you have to insert the grenades. I'm 100% sure they'll be chip insertions.
The level uses that funny exploding-pipe trick seen in one of the Bungie.net archive maps and one of the Rubicon levels. It's basically a huge invisible monster blocking a platform which moves extremely fast; the projectile kills the monster, the platform is allowed to move, and it affects all the platforms around it in a split second to become a hole in the wall. The whole thing is covered with a nuclear hard death. It's simple but effective, really.

edit: Or maybe not. Re-reading that RED thread CryoS just posted, it seems to involve some kind of glitchy tabbing mechanism as well.

...Best not to think about it too much.
Last edited by chinkeeyong on Jan 5th '09, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace imagination.