Aleph One 0.21.1 / 2008-12-17

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Iritscen
Cyborg

Well, I've always seemed to have an unusual situation for whatever reason. My Internet access is just standard 6.0Mbps DSL, plain and simple, nothing weird about the setup. And the Firewall in OS X is set to allow A1 through, and the router's port forwarding is straightforward (I've also been over every inch of the settings about 500 times). I certainly admit to not being the best at networking type stuff. But I have observed that others who can't host cannot even get people to join their game. If I turn off UPnP in A1, I can still gather just fine -- that's never been an issue for me; it's starting the game that's the problem. That's when it stays black until everyone drops out. So that's what leads me to think my situation is unique for some stupid reason.

But really, I'm sorry for bothering you with this as much as I have. Even though I really care about being able to host A1 games, I find that I've gotten so sick of hearing myself talking about this that I can't even listen to myself rehash it anymore, to say nothing of annoying the rest of the forum with my plaintive whining. Buying a new router will just have to be my solution, it's not like it's an expensive piece of hardware.
interion
Cyborg

Iritscen wrote:Well, I've always seemed to have an unusual situation for whatever reason. My Internet access is just standard 6.0Mbps DSL, plain and simple, nothing weird about the setup. And the Firewall in OS X is set to allow A1 through, and the router's port forwarding is straightforward (I've also been over every inch of the settings about 500 times). I certainly admit to not being the best at networking type stuff. But I have observed that others who can't host cannot even get people to join their game. If I turn off UPnP in A1, I can still gather just fine -- that's never been an issue for me; it's starting the game that's the problem. That's when it stays black until everyone drops out. So that's what leads me to think my situation is unique for some stupid reason.

But really, I'm sorry for bothering you with this as much as I have. Even though I really care about being able to host A1 games, I find that I've gotten so sick of hearing myself talking about this that I can't even listen to myself rehash it anymore, to say nothing of annoying the rest of the forum with my plaintive whining. Buying a new router will just have to be my solution, it's not like it's an expensive piece of hardware.
It looks like the Netopia 2210 is a combination DSL modem and router. You're not going to be able to just drop in a router to replace it.

I'm sure you've already considered this, but are you sure you forwarded both TCP and UDP ports? The screenshots I saw of the 2210 interface only let you pick one or the other. It looked like you would have to forward them separately.
Image Image
Iritscen
Cyborg

Yeah, you're right, the way it works is that I set up separate port forwards for 4226 as UDP and as TCP. And, oh yeah, I guess you're right, I can't replace my DSL modem with some router >.< A dozen years ago, I didn't even know what a network was, so I'm clearly still learning the basics :'(

I have to say, though, it worked flawlessly tonight when I hosted a few games. Not a single -799. It could be that, contrary to my first report, hosting is much improved for me in 0.21.2. Which would make me feel like quite the moron, but at least I'd be a happy, hosting moron.
Last edited by Iritscen on Jan 2nd '09, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

If it hangs starting the game, you don't have UDP 4226 set up right. If you can't see joiners, it is TCP that is not set up right.
Iritscen
Cyborg

Wow, that's interesting. Not sure if I can do anything about the problem even if I know it's the UDP that is the issue. The setting for the UDP forwarding is as straightforward as the TCP side, so there's no way it could be set wrong (I've shown it in the past in other threads, but here's the visual evidence again); it would have to come down to the router's UPnP support being stupid or something of that nature. Oh well, maybe I can look into the UDP thing some more at some point, thanks for the info.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:If it hangs starting the game, you don't have UDP 4226 set up right. If you can't see joiners, it is TCP that is not set up right.
That's good to know for everyone involved and certainly narrows down the problem. This should be in the networking guide.
Embrace imagination.