Resolution issue w/ Vista

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
bossier330
Born on Board

First of all, Aleph One is amazing. Second, I'm running Marathon at 1680x1050 under OpenGL with the high-res textures pack and the Shots Fired pack. The game runs amazingly well, and everything's fine when I quit. However, when i put my computer to sleep (I have a laptop) and awaken it later, my resolution almost always goes down to 640x480. Same thing if I restart. And today it took several restarts to stop defaulting back to 640x480. I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1. Anyone have any ideas? It's not enough to get me to stop playing, but it's making me mad :(
treellama
Vidmaster

That's clearly a Vista issue, not an Aleph One issue. You'll have to get support from a Vista forum :(
Last edited by treellama on Sep 8th '08, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
sweatervest
Cyborg

That's interesting I use Vista too and if I hit a button (I think it's F1) in A1 it removes the HUD but also reduces my resolution from 1680x1050 to 1440x900 and hitting F1 again restores the HUD without changing the resolution back. Not the same problem but another instance of Vista (I'm guessing) messing with the resolution. Are there any texts files or anything that store parameters like resolution? If so it might be some kind of file management problem maybe. What kind of video card do you have?
Last edited by sweatervest on Sep 8th '08, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

sweatervest wrote:That's interesting I use Vista too and if I hit a button (I think it's F1) in A1 it removes the HUD but also reduces my resolution from 1680x1050 to 1440x900 and hitting F1 again restores the HUD without changing the resolution back.
F1 and F2 decrease and increase the graphics settings according to the list in Graphics Prefs (it's in the README :-p)
1440x900 (HUD)
1440x900 (No HUD)
1680x1050 (HUD)

This has nothing to do with his problem, which occurs when the game isn't even running.
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV

bossier330 wrote:First of all, Aleph One is amazing. Second, I'm running Marathon at 1680x1050 under OpenGL with the high-res textures pack and the Shots Fired pack. The game runs amazingly well, and everything's fine when I quit. However, when i put my computer to sleep (I have a laptop) and awaken it later, my resolution almost always goes down to 640x480. Same thing if I restart. And today it took several restarts to stop defaulting back to 640x480. I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1. Anyone have any ideas? It's not enough to get me to stop playing, but it's making me mad :(
You should get windows Mojave.

Dodopod
Cyborg

Wait, why is your computer going to sleep while you're playing? If you have to do something, couldn't you just shut down Aleph One for a while?
Counter Attack on the Meta
sweatervest
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:F1 and F2 decrease and increase the graphics settings according to the list in Graphics Prefs (it's in the README :-p)
1440x900 (HUD)
1440x900 (No HUD)
1680x1050 (HUD)

This has nothing to do with his problem, which occurs when the game isn't even running.
Ahh I see, it all makes sense now.

Yeah I suppose reading the readme might be a good idea (you don't want to know how long it took me to figure out how to draw up my second pistol).
bossier330
Born on Board

I don't put my computer to sleep while I'm running AlephOne. AFTER I play a game and close AlephOne, the next time I shut down or sleep, my resolution (desktop resolution, not game resolution) gets cut to 640x480. Haha you gotta love Mojave.
Idkbutlike2
Cyborg

Dude the low resolution after sleep glitch is very common to Vista, I got is so many times while playing HL2, and my family blamed that for the problem. Turned out, that wasn't the cause... [MErr]
The cake was a lie, until I ate it...
Just cause I like Windows and Microsoft doesn't make me any less of a Marathon fan!
bossier330
Born on Board

So there's no work-around?
sweatervest
Cyborg

bossier330 wrote:So there's no work-around?
Well I just don't use sleep mode, I either leave my computer on with the monitor off or just shut it down. It always seemed to me that putting a computer to sleep never worked perfectly (usually I'd end up having to restart to get full functionality back after waking my computer up, so I just stopped using it). I also don't restart my computer very often (which I... wouldn't recommend) but I don't think I've ever had this problem after restarting. I am running A1 on a desktop though. This may or may not be related but whenever I close and open the lid of my laptop any graphics programs that were running break (they display a black screen) but all I have to do is close and re-open the program and it works again.

There's always Linux!
Last edited by sweatervest on Sep 26th '08, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.