Damage Inc. & Prime Target Reversing

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Asylum
Cyborg

TBCR wrote: Feb 10th '20, 22:47
Asylum wrote:The stars recently aligned when a tool called Ghidra was released, which features a decompiler that also targets PowerPC. I've loaded the Mac binary of Damage Inc, which includes debug information, into it and the output looks very clean and doesn't suffer from any of the issues that plagued my earlier attempt. Really all that has to be done is annotating the decompiled code with proper variable names and determining the differences in structures from the original source release.
To steer slightly off topic in regards, what particular settings did you use for importing in Ghidra? I've had a bit of issues getting PowerPC Mac applications imported successfully unless I do Raw Binary. Even then, the decompiler craps out on Jump Tables.
You're likely not dragging in the correct file. When I popped it in it loaded in properly, iirc. Do not load as raw binary, that defeats the purpose (you won't get the function exports). I will see if i can find the binary on my disk tomorrow.

Also, I've learned that some people understandably believed this thread was an elaborate joke. It was not, all information here is real and the database links should still be functioning.
(●__●)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(●__●)
bernardo
Born on Board

about Damage Inc. I have a question for you since it uses the same engine as marathon. Is it possible to extract the Physics file from Damage Inc and how could I do it? Thank you.
bernardo
Born on Board

Asylum wrote: Nov 16th '14, 04:29
Bobwithkeycard wrote:hey asylum, in case you are interested: a while back (actually it's been four years now) I put together a mml file just so see to what extent A1 was able to load up Damage Inc. files. I got a couple of levels working, albeit with all the non A1-feautures missing. I lost interest in it once I learned that Damage Inc was using 128 or 512 texture slots in the shapes file instead of Marathon Infinity's 32 and the futility of the effort dawned on me.
Since there was no way of exporting damage Inc's physics for me, I just put in the standard physics for pistol, shotgung, ma-75B and gave the monsters the Trooper's behaviour without able to fire grenades.
It might be of some limited use as a start. Here's a screenshot:
Link to picture

Drop me a line if you want the files
Might actually be a better idea than making Aleph One load Damages shapes file. I'm trying to familiarize myself with Aleph One's codebase. I added some new features to it. It used to be all monster attributes like enemies, allies, gravity, speed, intelligence were shared across monster types. You couldn't have, say, two troopers with different speeds. The modifications I made changed that so that the original monster definition was just used to instantiate a separate definition for each monster on the map. I've tested it and it works.

I haven't added lua functions for setting and getting each field of the monster definition yet but changing their collections, gravity, speed, and terminal velocity are all implemented right now. I just did this today so some stuff is not working right now. The individual monster definitions are not saved with save games and I haven't even looked into films yet. Haven't tested with M1 or any scenarios other than Infinity. Hopefully I can get someone to build it on OSX and some people can test it thoroughly.

I read your posts and I found them particularly interesting because I'm looking for the Physics file that is inside the Damage Incorporated application and I would like to know how it could be extracted and modified to my liking. Initially I tried with Anvil to create a Physics file and then I used ResEdit to change file type and document creator but every time I select my Physics file in the Damage Incorporated preferences, Damage Inc crashes and I don't understand why. Damage Incorporated and Marathon Durandal use the same engine and the structure of the program files are identical. I have modified the Shape file of Damage Incorporated to load it in Aleph One and it works perfectly for me. The question is: Is there a way or is there a program that allows me to create Physics files for Damage Incorporated? Thank you.

If I get it working well I'll probably move onto other stuff like projectile instances.

Don't expect it to make its way into A1.