Texture Enhancement Project

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
SpeedyG
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:Remember that DXTC is lossy, so keep your originals around!
Aye. I've been backing everything up as I go on disks. I'd say by the time the whole set is finished I may have enough for a dvd's worth. The original's are quite large.
irons
Vidmaster

Hey man! Your work looks really good so far, and I won't mention the few things I have problems with, since these are roughs. However, it seems that you're concentrating on Marathon 2; as a network mapper, I only use Infinity, and while I think M2's textures look a lot better, I'd like to ask you not to forget the Infinity Jjaro set!
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
SpeedyG
Born on Board

irons wrote:Hey man! Your work looks really good so far, and I won't mention the few things I have problems with, since these are roughs. However, it seems that you're concentrating on Marathon 2; as a network mapper, I only use Infinity, and while I think M2's textures look a lot better, I'd like to ask you not to forget the Infinity Jjaro set!
Thank you and yes, some of the textures I have shown here have already been revised, and smoothed out a bit to try and keep in line with the older ones.

As far as infinity goes, it basically only has one extra texture set. Th rest are all the same as M2's, so it is a good possibilty.

To be honest, though, there are some really good textures that were done for infinity with the last high rez pack. Like m2's texture sets, though, it looks like 2 different people ( or more) worked on them. Maybe when all of this is said and done, I or somebody else could whip up a piece of MML that will allow the public to mix and match between the sets to get the ones they want to use throughout. I doubt I will be able to please everyone on the whole, but I will try. We will see once I get much further into the sets.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Th rest are all the same as M2's
This is not true. Infinity levels look remarkably different in M2 because some colors or styles are changed, even if the overall texture pattern is the same.
SpeedyG
Born on Board

RyokoTK wrote:This is not true. Infinity levels look remarkably different in M2 because some colors or styles are changed, even if the overall texture pattern is the same.
I'll just stick my foot in my mouth now. You are correct. I work too fast I suppose that sometimes I get confused as to which set I am looking at. ;) Either way, it's too far down the road for consideration at this point.
treellama
Vidmaster

If you get to the point where you want to share something and Fileball is still hosed, I can host them for you. I'm already hosting 220 MB of TTEP...

Most people aren't going to hand mix and match textures, but what you could do is distribute yours as an add-on to the TTEP--i.e., download yours and put them in and add a new MML that puts yours in place of the bad ones in TTEP while leaving the good ones in place.

That's going to confuse the hell out of people (it confused me just trying to describe it), but I don't know that we can get permission from Vogel to make a single download mixed pack available that replaces the textures he made himself!

The other alternative is to redraw them all yourself, and become my new hero :-p
Last edited by treellama on May 2nd '07, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
SpeedyG
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:If you get to the point where you want to share something and Fileball is still hosed, I can host them for you. I'm already hosting 220 MB of TTEP...

Most people aren't going to hand mix and match textures, but what you could do is distribute yours as an add-on to the TTEP--i.e., download yours and put them in and add a new MML that puts yours in place of the bad ones in TTEP while leaving the good ones in place.

That's going to confuse the hell out of people (it confused me just trying to describe it), but I don't know that we can get permission from Vogel to make a single download mixed pack available that replaces the textures he made himself!

The other alternative is to redraw them all yourself, and become my new hero :-p
Hehe. Aye. It'd be far better to have one complete set, which is what I hope to accomplish in the long run.

I may take you up on the hosting offer. The compressed set shouldn't be much larger than that I think. After the DDS compression, even without the DXTC, they are only about 1 to 4 mb's in size per texture. So, the 1st set should only be around 30 megs or so. Not too bad at all. For demo purposes that would rock and I would be indebted to you. Very cool. If this takes off in a good way I suppose I will need to look for some hosting on my own, which I will if it is well received.

Much thanks.