Texture Enhancement Project

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Samus

SpeedyG wrote:I get the general idea from other posts I read from yourself that you are generally an unhappy person. So you post here and rip on the others out of your own insecurities. All criticism is welcome, though. If you can do better, please, by all means, show me so.

I see your stealing my jobs as moppypuppy's personal anoyance, GJ! Pretty much what moppy says should be disregarded, if he thinks its crap screw him, if he thinks its good screw him!

To moppy: do you really know how anoying it is when you use the text effects on what your writing? they are there to be used properly IE. make your posts more proffesional looking with headers and sections.
To make it a better post, not to make fire red and grass green...
[/b]Im sorry if this is classified as spam but this is something that really gets me, why do you edit your text so much, why can't you be like the rest of us and use it when necsessery.

I very much like the blue wall texture btw. If you ever finish this project, there is still infinity waiting =P I would use these textures judging on the blue wall, not so much the green one.Tha blue texture to me looks like a high res version of the original texture. not some altered texture with crayons for health chargers. you know what set I mean... And also, I see the segments sticking in like speedyG. but it is like the book cover, is it facing in or is it sticking out? I think you need to define it more as sticking inwards. Like making it a shade darker or something.

EDIT: as TK translated, (sander was a bad example) they could look a bit rougher. If they are too shiny, we will be expecting mirror like reflections and we don't want to go there. another thing is that on the original texture, the pattern is all over and continues throught the sticking in bits as if they were level, I see that mosts of the scratches and colours end where the segments go in.

EDIT: EDIT: TK, i was editing my post when you were fiddling with it so when I submitted it, it over rit what you did, what eva it was?
Last edited by Samus on Apr 22nd '07, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Annoying
Sam Lowry
Cyborg

re sticking out or embossed
Lets see how it looks on a map first - from a players perspective - close up, at distance, side on ect.
shawn(at)fsu: My nephew wants to start doing game modding ...
hux: If he likes Halo, try modding for Marathon, the older Bungie fps game.
interkin3tic: Noooo!!! I did that in high school and look where I am now: SLASHDOT!!!
W: it's long and obnoxious, i like it
SpeedyG
Born on Board

RyokoTK wrote:I can't believe I'm siding with Moppy here...

The other project (Total Texture Enhancement Project by Tim Vogel) had the same problem: everything was perfect, which is just flat-out wrong.
I agree. Age and centuries of wear and tear is part of the goal.

Was Vogel the guy that did the majority of the M1 work?

Whomever it was did an excellent job really. If you look at the shading quality, it's master class. The problem I saw with High Rez packs for M2 and Mi was that it looked like several people worked on it, not just one. So, here you have a what seems to be the same guy who worked on the M1 stuff with another person or persons. His stuff is really good. The rest looked like someone just resampled the textures to the proper size and threw some quick PS effects on them. It's a super weird mix.

Oh well. To each his own I suppose.

I forsee this project taking a very long time to try and get the right balance, which it should. So far I have only "painted" 5 or so textures. They will all go through a number revisions. It's just the process of things.
Which is why I post some of them here, for the feedback. It is important to me see how it will be received.

Maybe I will some more revisions later this week. I haven't been able to work much on them in the last couple of days.

Again, thanks for the input guys.

PS- this thread could be moved to the Projects section I suppose. ;)
treellama
Vidmaster

I think Jay Faircloth did most of the M1A1 textures in the TTEP. Vogel was more the M2 and Infinity guy.

But I could be wrong.
SpeedyG
Born on Board

I am attempting to upload a movie for one the test runs I have done with some of the "possible" texture enhancements I have started. In all, I believe there are about 13 to 14 tetxures within this piece. Please note: None of these are close to being finished. They are merely for test purposes. I purposely kept the old game textures within there, as well, for reference.

I will say that I took a liberty or two here and there, but I want to see how we are looking so far. Be brutal and honest. Again, some of these are not quite finished. In other words, they do not have the correct colors, not quite the right lighting, etc.

Feel free to help me out in terms of direction.

Speedy.

P.S.- I uploaded the movie but I am unsure as to where it has gone. Let me know if you can or cannot find it on the boards here. Otherwise I will try and upload and link it back to here.
Last edited by SpeedyG on Apr 26th '07, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I like your textures
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
SpeedyG
Born on Board

Longinus wrote:I like your textures
Thank you.

Be specific , though. If I completed the entire set, would it be worth a download to you? I realize that most of the community most likely does not pay too much attention to their surroundings, especially within a multiplayer environment, but who can? There is too much action going on to stop and take look around you..

Would you really notice or be content with what is at hand?

I, also, assume you were able to download the movie?
Last edited by SpeedyG on Apr 26th '07, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Lowry
Cyborg

Like Tim Vogel, take your time and get your textures ready.
Any questions ?- A1 has great technical support.
It's your work, your art.

Also note the download numbers on Tim Vogel's work. There is interest in A1 textures.
Last edited by Sam Lowry on Apr 27th '07, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
shawn(at)fsu: My nephew wants to start doing game modding ...
hux: If he likes Halo, try modding for Marathon, the older Bungie fps game.
interkin3tic: Noooo!!! I did that in high school and look where I am now: SLASHDOT!!!
W: it's long and obnoxious, i like it
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yah I was a littlebit supprised howmany people dled my and El twixo's cartoon textures for the water world. I thought it would be like 5 people no rather i get 80, even for an cheesy uncompleeted work. yours once you put the grime on it will definatly be wonderful. I love the richness of color that you don't see in the standard hi res texture pack for inf.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Apr 27th '07, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Old Bail
Born on Board

SpeedyG wrote:Finally, here is another before and after:
please don't take this the wrong way but if your textures are not at least as good as the current ones (the 1024 hi-res set) there's no reason to make new ones. this particular texture in the 512/1024 set is far better than what you have here. i also agree with the others here in that any texture replacement should be very close if not exactly the same to what the original colors and lines were. the 'aged' look is desirable as well. i say you should continue forward bearing all this in mind because your work is very good just not on the right track.
SpeedyG
Born on Board

Old Bail wrote:please don't take this the wrong way but if your textures are not at least as good as the current ones (the 1024 hi-res set) there's no reason to make new ones. this particular texture in the 512/1024 set is far better than what you have here. i also agree with the others here in that any texture replacement should be very close if not exactly the same to what the original colors and lines were. the 'aged' look is desirable as well. i say you should continue forward bearing all this in mind because your work is very good just not on the right track.

No offense taken. Also bear in mind that these are prelimanry sketches to get the placement, lighting, and shapes and colors.

Are you referring to the pics I posted or did you get a chance to check out the movie of a test walkthrough of Waterloo that I uploaded? Either way, this will be a very long and grueling process. Possibly taking many months. I am nowhere near getting done with the "sketches" for first the Wall collection. These are merely teasers and as stated.

I'm beginning to think it's a bad idea to post any work as these maybe what you will expect in game, rather than envisioning the final product.

On that note, I will wait and show you all the final versions of the 1st collection when it is done.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thank you. Be specific , though...
Ever since I got aleph one (and the hi-def pack), I've been religiously looking at the textures up close (especially M1). I personally love the textures. Although they don't modify game play in any way, its cool not having to look at giant square pixelated walls. I would love to download your textures.
Samus

giant pixels? i thought pixels were all the same size.... Nah jokes i know what you mean, I would use a higheres pack but they don't stay true to the original, the only pack i have seen is TI which is just grand, hopefully it will be TI and M2. longs for more!
SpeedyG
Born on Board

I'm assuming A1 gives us the ability to take screenshots now? If so, which key is it?

Edit: Something else just occured to me. You most likely have to have my textures in order to watch the walkthrough with them, no? If so, that makes the movie null and void.
Last edited by SpeedyG on Apr 28th '07, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
SpeedyG
Born on Board

Ahh, the above statement is true so, I will upload a sample pack of the textures tomorrow with a little MMl so that I get a fair trial on how it looks.
SpeedyG
Born on Board

Okay...

We're going to do this right way now. I am siging up over at the archives to upload a few "test" textures for you guys to download and walkthrough yourselves. I will link it back here once the site is up and ready for me.

No more quick judgements. After this, if you still don't like what I am pushing for here, you don't have to download them when they are completely finished.
SpeedyG
Born on Board

Now I am really getting frustrated.

So, here are some screenshots. Again: These are not finished.

I don't know what happened with the Archives but apparently getting access is slow.

The above shots are what you would have seen if I had properly uploaded a movie along with the textures.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record: These are not done!

Before commenting on my work, make sure you are current with what I have done. There are still some old game textures within these shots as well, so do not confuse them with mine. Do not post here unless you have read all of the pages in this thread. I know what I am doing.

Now, if you have some constructive comments to make, now is the time.

Thank you.
Last edited by SpeedyG on Apr 28th '07, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Don't worry about people not dling that when you are done ;)
Simply beautiful!!!
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

This is really outstanding work!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Simply fantastic
Simply beautiful!!!
This is really outstanding work!
I have minor nitpicks, but overall that's really amazing stuff.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Apr 29th '07, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

[MAngry] ... I'm speechless.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:I have minor nitpicks, but overall that's really amazing stuff.
I definitely have minor nitpicks as well, but I decided to take the "not the finished product" bit to heart and decided to hold off on them. Specifically, my primary nitpick is that a lot of the details that are present but not particularly apparent in the original are very distinct in these new versions, but I figured there'd be some more "wear and tear" work done on the whole thing, yah?
SpeedyG
Born on Board

Kinetic Turtle wrote:I definitely have minor nitpicks as well, but I decided to take the "not the finished product" bit to heart and decided to hold off on them. Specifically, my primary nitpick is that a lot of the details that are present but not particularly apparent in the original are very distinct in these new versions, but I figured there'd be some more "wear and tear" work done on the whole thing, yah?

If I follow your train of thought correctly, you want debris lying around such as chunks of ancient rock, dirt, sand, whatever the elements have ravaged over the millenia on these ruins correct? The only way I know how to achieve that, currently, is by either adding new sprites, or taking some away from original texture set.

I honestly do not know if this is possible, even with Aleph's capabilities, it is still somewhat governed by the older engine. Meaning it is still somewhat limited in that aspect.

The textures themselves are limited in terms of what you can really do with them. They are only flat, square 2d shapes after all. The polygons on the maps, mipmapping and pseudoperspective help to give it the 3d feel.

Or perhaps I am off track from what you are thinking?

In that case, help me visualize it a bit more.

Thank you for the compliments.
Last edited by SpeedyG on Apr 29th '07, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

we mean wear and tear on the actual textures themselves. Like the 4 square reddish tan floor texture looks sweet but very very new, if it had more differential shading and little buts of imperfections that would come from years wear and tear followed by a millenia of neglect it would feel more authentic.