SDL problems

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
shongshong
Vidmaster

so transfering over to the new sdl is excelent... but I have came across a problemb(s).

Some of my costom Picts in (terminal picts) are showing up as a verrryy RED hue (shown below)

It deals also with variouse other cosom picts I have imported into the Images and Terminal Images files.
I have a strong feeling that it has somthing to do with my Clut and color information, but I dont know how to resolve it...

has anyone seen this before/has an explination?

any ideas?
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
treellama
Vidmaster

Can you send me a little map with one of those in it?

You're using 8-bit paletted PICTs for chapter screens right?
shongshong
Vidmaster

yah... my Image file has this problemb (only on the opening page[shown above]) {as well as my terminal images file}so I gues Ill send you my 'image file'.

so Im gona need your email, so I can send you the resource images file

one thing to note, using NIB's, this red image corruption does not apear... but untill you use SDL version, it does this.
Marathon Squadron
shongshong
Vidmaster

ok, so today, I tried bringing all my work over to windows os to see what it would do with my "red terminal images" were doing... and low and behold! It didnt work! realy!

It sooo didnt work, aleph one said that I needed to "make shure the 'shapes', 'music, 'map'...*bla bla*'" error poped up!

so I made shure all my file names were spelled right. But than, I realized that windows didnt even recognize the Images or Terminal files folders as content! For both of thoes image resources file, it was labled with "0kb". as if there was nothing in it!

so I gues my res edit work apears to be corrupted in some way... (even though I can veiw it all nicely in resedit its self)

so does anyone know a rule of thumb on what not to do in resedit to "corrupt" your files?
Marathon Squadron
shongshong
Vidmaster

heh! ok, I just figured out my last post's problemb!

Im suposed to convert those special resources to pc format via macbinary thing (adds the .bin to the end)

so, long story short here,the pc equal to that of my mac. its all working.. but the RED textures are not gone!
same red images and terminal problembs still show up as mac as to pc... so it definatly has somthing to do with the way I dealed with resedit... and how marathon understands it,

(still NIBs sees the images normaly and SDL doesnt [sees some as red tints])
Marathon Squadron
treellama
Vidmaster

Aleph One's PICT renderer was basically reverse engineered from Apple's proprietary format. This means not all PICTs are going to work. I'll see if I can get to the bottom of it.
shongshong
Vidmaster

well.. I think I have gottn' to the botomb of this!

It apears that I have been importing the images from Photoshop to resedit incorectly this entire time.
basicaly I was bringing over millions of color images into resedit (cluts werent doing their jobs than). Only when using NIB's, this process was ok... but untill I transfered over to sdl, sdl did not like how I dealed with colors on my image...

so, I gues my onllyyy grudge against SDL is the color usage for the image resources, ither than that, it seems dandy...

--------
oh ya! P.S.
I also found out another issue while testing the SDL,:
When playing the game with FOG option on, It caused some sprites to flicker when buffering. Its only happens when a new sprite is being buffered into the game. (even though the sprite is not HD material)

basicaly a subtle transparent square apears around the sprite for a fraction of a second. (in Anvil terms, wherever there is blue). But this anomoly only apears for a breif moment in each level...

does this have somthing to do with my options? or what
Marathon Squadron
treellama
Vidmaster

I think millions of color images should work for the menu screen, but not chapter screens or terminal PICTs. At least, I think Infinity's menu screen is 24-bit...

As for the sprites, there's a bug filed about that but I haven't had the chance to take a look yet.