Invincibility effect?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Atomic Potato
Cyborg

I noticed that on the SourceForge feature request page somebody requested the restoral of a "really cool invincibility effect that was much more elegant than the current one". What did this effect look like?
Atomic Potato. Veteran Since '95.

"If you aren't running Mac OS 10.4.10, then you aren't running the exact same operating system that I am running." -- Me
Samus

I would like to see it too, all my computer displays is a rainbow of one colour that changes one after the other, not the orignal fuzz. :(
Atomic Potato
Cyborg

I don't think that it's the original fuzz that the person's talking about because on at least the Mac OS X build you can select either the fuzz or rainbow of colors.
Atomic Potato. Veteran Since '95.

"If you aren't running Mac OS 10.4.10, then you aren't running the exact same operating system that I am running." -- Me
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

Samus wrote: I would like to see it too, all my computer displays is a rainbow of one colour that changes one after the other, not the orignal fuzz. :(
Samus, the way you describe it is how it works when the 'static effect' is turned off in the rendering options under openGL options in the preferences. If you turn it on, it looks exactly like the original hicolor Marathon invincibility effect...takes alot of horsepower, though. Normally I don't have any speed problems, there could be 500 aliens onscreen with everything in hires, but if there are like 4 things that display the static effect simulaneously, then the framerate drops.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
treellama
Vidmaster

The "cool effect" was a mistake where I didn't set the texture to all-white before rendering the fuzz. So, you could still see the cold steel of the gun through all the fuzz. It was only cool for lighter-colored guns.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey treellama,

in M1 there was the possiblity to use the static effect on walls as well. It is still there as an option amongst the other rendering options like horizontal slide, vertical slide, wobble etc but it only produces smearing when being applied to a wall. Would that be something for the bugs section on sourceforge or perhaps the feauture requests?
Also while talking about the static effect, one of the many feautures that were planned for the terminals was to have a tag that fills the respective page with static. It doesn't show up in the list of goupings in computer_interface.h, but as _static_group in computer_interface.cpp.
Do you think that might be a good feature request? [MTongue]

EDIT: I just tried creating a terminal that has the tag '#STATIC 200' in it. The number is there because according to the source that's the duration of the static. Sadly it doesn't display the static effect but shows a black terminal page for the given length of time.
Last edited by Bobwithkeycard on Oct 7th '06, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
oteito
Vidmaster

Samus wrote: I would like to see it too, all my computer displays is a rainbow of one colour that changes one after the other, not the orignal fuzz. :(
i get that when i play on OpenGL
LOL
treellama
Vidmaster

Turn on "Static Effects" if you want to see the fuzz instead of the rainbow colors.