Hi-res projectiles

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Atomic Potato
Cyborg

Would somebody please take it upon themselves to produce hi-res/enhanced projectiles for Aleph One? I know that it is too much trouble to produce hi-res monsters, but looking at some of the projectile effects in EMR I think that making enhanced projectiles for at least a few monsters (such as S'pht or Cyborgs) would give Marathon life without requiring too much work.
Last edited by Atomic Potato on Oct 5th '06, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
Atomic Potato. Veteran Since '95.

"If you aren't running Mac OS 10.4.10, then you aren't running the exact same operating system that I am running." -- Me
Godot

Just remember that projectiles are usually the shortest-lived objects in the game.
oteito
Vidmaster

"what a beautiful rocket, oh, it's coming my way"-yup, i also hate those pixeled projectiles
LOL
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

It wouldn't be that hard either...I could probably do a few in Photoshop...unfortunately, making the rockets would be harder because I don't have a 3D modeler right now...I need to find Bryce again...
On that same note, perhaps making high-res versions of the items and ammo boxes...
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
treellama
Vidmaster

There are high res projectiles:

http://nardo.bungie.org/alephone.php

Look for "shots fired"

I keep bugging appleswitch to replace those awful 32-bit fusion shots on s.b.o. with these ones, but he's too busy.
Switch
Vidmaster

Sorry, updated SBO
Atomic Potato
Cyborg

When I say hi-res projectiles, I'm talking about more than just making things look less pixelated. You know how much more beautiful the hi-res fusion sprites are than the originals? Or if you go see (this I strongly recommend) how the phaser grenades look in the latest beta of EMR? Some of the original Bungie sprites such as the Hunter bolt look sort of dull and if we could do something as simple as making it a glowing green light, it would look so much better.

However, you really have to download EMR or some other scenario that uses enhanced projectiles to see what I am really talking about. If you don't want to wait that long, just look at some of the screenshots of Resurrection where a weapon is firing to see the kind of "replacements" I'm looking for.

"If you aren't running Mac OS 10.4.10, then you aren't running the exact same operating system that I am running." -- Me
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Well, I could photoshop some stuff...might take me a while to get things right...I'll probably start with the items and ammo stuff first...once I finish my other project.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

Atomic Potato wrote: You know how much more beautiful the hi-res fusion sprites are than the originals? Or if you go see (this I strongly recommend) how the phaser grenades look in the latest beta of EMR?
When you're saying latest EMR, do you mean this one?

downloaded that one and only the second trigger of a weapon called 'EMF 4000' seemed to use a glowmap.
Perhaps you could supply is with some screenshots in case you have access to a newer beta?
( -->service to upload pics, for the slim chance you don't know it )
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
Godot

If it really bothers you that much, I suggest two things. One is, play a different game (although that is very extreme). Or you can do it yourself. I know you're not trying to come across this way, but it seems as though you are demanding that someone do this, and that's not going to get anything good done.

By the way, isn't Resurrection ins a totally different engine?
Atomic Potato
Cyborg

It doesn't bug me very much and I don't expect or care if anybody does this. It's really just a suggestion. I don't know exactly how to convey this idea so everyone can understand, so it might be best to just end it here.
Last edited by Atomic Potato on Oct 7th '06, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.

LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

I think I understand what you're saying...the problem is having enough free time to actually work on the project.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
treellama
Vidmaster

A quick hack to get a cool glowy effect on projectiles is to add normal_blend="1" to the texture MML. May not be exactly what you want though :)
Atomic Potato
Cyborg

Well, that thing Nardo did looks enough for me, but I'll try that one out. Thanks.