Original Marathon Music?

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
Lugas
Vidmaster

I have extracted the original Marathon music and converted them into .mp3 format. This does work with both OS X Nibs and SDL (OS X and Windoze) versions of A1. If anyone would like them, I can upload them.

Edit: There are a few catches. The files themselves are a bit quiet, and when things get intense, the sfx of weapons and bobs screaming may for some people, cover up the music. On the NIBs OS X build, the music also sometimes culls the sfx of a bob or alien being hit (guns and fists). This is not an issue for SDL users.

Because of the quietness, you can edit it in iTunes to make it 100% louder; that won't help ingame, but it will make it louder for iPods. (if you don't do this and still put it on your iPod, it will be very quiet, you will crank the volume up and when it goes onto a different song, it will be very loud; this happened to me alot of times)
Last edited by Lugas on Jan 10th '07, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Lugas wrote:The files themselves are a bit quiet
How did it get so quiet? I can probably amp it up a bit for you. send it to my username @gmail.com (no underscore or anything).
Lugas
Vidmaster

I'm asking if anyone wants them, not for them to be amped up.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Woah erm... I was just offering, please don't take offense. I figured since that was a "catch" for people who may have wanted the files, that you might like that "catch" to be fixed if someone thought they could do it. Sorry if I treaded on a soft spot?
treellama
Vidmaster

M1A1 already comes with the original music in mp3 format. It's not quiet, either.

I guess you could still get this if you want a quieter version...?
Lugas
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:M1A1 already comes with the original music in mp3 format. It's not quiet, either.
Really? Are you sure? I downloaded it from Trilogy Release, and the music sounds completely different. Personally, I think the music with M1A1 is pathetic.
treellama
Vidmaster

What version of QuickTime are you playing Marathon on? If it's 3 or later, you're not hearing the original music, as it was intended.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:M1A1 already comes with the original music in mp3 format. It's not quiet, either.

M1A1 is not on the trillogy release page, The origional Marathon game is though. Are you sure we are talking about M1A1? Or rather ingame, cant you turn volume up in the prefrences? that could be the problem. It maybe set low. The "intro song" in M1A1 is in aiff format If thats what your talking about.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Jan 11th '07, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Lugas
Vidmaster

Version 7.1.3. I'm guessing the original music sounds different in 7.1.3. I'm also guessing that we won't ever be able to hear the original music on 7.1.3. That's a shame. Actaully, the music that I extracted sounded like the original music. I'm willing to upload them.
treellama
Vidmaster

I believe the original music (as heard in an old quicktime) is what comes with M1A1.

If you like the new instruments there is a version re-arranged for the new QuickTime instruments (they changed between 2 and 3) here:
http://fileball.net/marathon/item.fb?524333782
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

I am wondering how you did the exportin'. A while ago I did it myself just for the heck of it and I used Bo Lindbergh's Marathon Music Exploder and then loaded the resulting files up in Quicktime Movie Player to export 'em to AIFF from there. At first they sound like exact copies from the original M1 ingame music, but due to some reason that I forgot this method has huge flaws in certain parts of the tracks where the timing isnt right at all. Some musician was elaborating on this in one of the Readme's that comes with uploaded mp3's on fileball.
As far as I know Chibi-USA Enhanced MP3s for M1A1 is the best version when it comes to not being a remix, interpretation or anything in that kind of area.

lmao
Last edited by Bobwithkeycard on Jan 11th '07, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
Lugas
Vidmaster

So will these sound like the original or not under Quicktime 7?
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

Lugas wrote:So will these sound like the original or not under Quicktime 7?
excuse me? Don't know if this was directed at me ( probably not ), but the tracks are in mp3 format and therefore aren't utilizing any of quicktime's instrument samples thus being independent from quicktime and indifferent to what version is installed.
But the Chibi tracks will sound different from the original nonetheless, as professional equipment has been used ( professional hardware synthesizer vs. quicktime's 468 kbyte musical instruments file for System 7, like the fileball page states ).
Last edited by Bobwithkeycard on Jan 11th '07, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain
Lugas
Vidmaster

That wasn't directed at you, bobwithkeycard. Sorry (i didn't see you posting because we posted at the same time)
treellama
Vidmaster

There are two ways to hear the original music files: play the mp3s that come with M1A1 (I think; I can't actually find anywhere to corroborate my memory), or get a Mac with QuickTime 2 and play the MIDIs on it. If you like the way your new ones sound better (they will play back with the wrong instruments, but that's a matter of taste) you could export them the way Bobwithkeycard said to (sounds like, from the quiet issue, when you converted them you used a digital to analog to digital conversion, which is less than ideal)

I haven't listened to the Chibi tracks, because frankly I don't like the original Marathon music much at all, but that's something to try if you want something with better samples.
Lugas
Vidmaster

I have these track files which play the original music in the SDL version of A1. Try it out, and see what happens.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

In the other thread I was asking for the MIDI files. Which you cannot obtain from mp3s or the music explorer.
Phobos-Romulus
Mjolnir Mark IV

The chibi usa mixes are great, I even put them on a Cd just to listen to.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

You Should use audacity to manually make it louder and then export it back to itunes. Also I thought that you could change the music and sound effects volumes separately.