POLL: Which poll thread are you most tired of?

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Which poll thread is single-handedly ruining the Pfhorums community the fastest?

The state-of-the-Marathon-community one
15%
The Tour of Duty one
9%
This one
15%
Rokyo's thread
9%
Yes
18%
No
9%
WHY ISN'T THIS POLISH
24%

Total votes: 33
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

irons wrote:wrk is one of the most influential lua scripters of all time.
I know you are, I was just being an asshole like you. I'm one of you now after all.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

See. This is what I mean by this community is stagnant. It's been a whole day & not a single person has posted anything new (until now). I've observed closely and sometimes it take up to 7 days for something new to pop up here at the Pfhorums. Maybe I'm just impatient, be it feels stagnant.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Well, you're right. The community is stagnant, in the sense that we're a hotbed of malaria and dengue.
irons
Vidmaster

it was clique shabbat you racist pig
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

For the community to be active there needs to be something to be active about. Map making/scenario making provide the greatest incentive to get involved in the community, but they're also the most time consuming and infrequent.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think that's part of the point of our Tour of Duty series - something to talk and be active about, without having to spend the time to sit down and actually lay out polygons. Maybe that's why it was a success and Grendel was not. :rolleyes:
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

Grendel never existed so it can't be "not a success"; there has to be some actual effort for there to be failure. And be honest with yourself, the real point of Tour of Duty was for you to feel like you were accomplishing something when making actual content was too difficult. So, let's not pretend that ToD is adding anything of value to the community when it's only a superficial discussion of games and mods that everyone has already played and talked about to death.
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

philtron wrote:Grendel never existed so it can't be "not a success"; there has to be some actual effort for there to be failure. And be honest with yourself, the real point of Tour of Duty was for you to feel like you were accomplishing something when making actual content was too difficult. So, let's not pretend that ToD is adding anything of value to the community when it's only a superficial discussion of games and mods that everyone has already played and talked about to death.
I'm all for the fun shenanigans that take place on the Pfhorums, but you're really just being a dick here.

Please troll better.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

The Tour of Duty series brings in the players. Those who can't make maps but enjoy playing on them. Or, perhaps related to Philtron's bringing up the old canard those who can do and those who can't become critics, though the more important error is in the 'everyone has already' trope. There are more than a few that have not played all the Marathon scenarios, or have played only parts of them. Many times if you buy a used, refurbished computer, you'll get a CD of '60 Games!'. It contains Marathon and Durandal. It's where I found it. If you just want a mapmaker's guild, fine, but it won't go anywhere.

The Eternal X commentary by RyokoTK, for example, is a criticism not a ToD, as is, for the most part, Crater Creator's commentary. Non mapmakers can read that and discover what makes a map or scenario good. Studying topics like that allows a player to notice qualitative things during play that they might not have seen before and apply them to other scenarios.

On the other hand, VikingBoyBilly's commentary on Tempus Irae 2 is a ToD, though a very compact one.
And there are others scattered around the Pfhorums if you want to go look for them.

I was reading the Grendel is not dead topic and had an idea during the discussion of new weapons. I may post it sometime (as a player not a mapmaker) if I can overcome my innate indolence or, as I like to term it, demonstration of Newton's law of objects at rest.

Then there could be posts about dangers in scenarios. For example, in Eternal X, The Far Side of Nowhere, if you happen to step on polygon 272, you are trapped, game over. And we cannot realistically expect this to be changed. If it were, then everyone would have to download a new map and, here my ignorance about mapmaking shows, any AlephOne 'films' may not work anymore and there may also be a problem with saved games loading.

And while this might be better in the future of ToD topic, i.e. the good that they do, the current trend of this topic's posts puts it here.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Windbreaker wrote:I'm all for the fun shenanigans that take place on the Pfhorums
there isn't anything inaccurate in what phil posted

one should remember that before perseus was spamming the esb with his book reports he was spamming simplci7y with the usual assortment of physics-based knob-twiddling

it's precisely this sort of enabling that encourages the most tedious people
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

patrick wrote:
Windbreaker wrote:I'm all for the fun shenanigans that take place on the Pfhorums

one should remember that before perseus was spamming the esb with his book reports he was spamming simplci7y with the usual assortment of physics-based knob-twiddling

outofyourwheelhouse.jpg
The One
Born on Board

patrick wrote: there isn't anything inaccurate in what phil posted
There's nothing inaccurate about his post, because it's all opinion based. Regardless of how shitty his opinions are.

Can we all just leave Perseus alone now? Irons specifically is really pissing me off. I shit all over your clique shabbat.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Look, to be fair, I totally understand why philtron and irons are irritated with me. I started my involvement in the Marathon community right around the time I turned 12 years old. At that time, if you'll recall, I played Marathon almost exclusively on the 'Kindergarten' level (i.e. I was the prime example of a "Spazeroid") - by contrast I'm pretty sure I got a good ways into Marathon: Phoenix on Major Damage more recently, which is something I should get back to. Admittedly, that's not an achievement to brag about, but it shows how far I've come.

Back in those days, I had a terribly naive, unrealistic and - let's be honest - childish sense of priorities and, above all, possibilities. This is why I set out such ambitious goals and never got around to them. I had big ideas and had no idea how to accomplish them, nor the willpower to go about making them happen. This is why neither Grendel nor Ex Pluribus ever got beyond the conceptual stage, and it's also why I thought something as banal as Aeon of Strife was a good idea.

It's not that I've done nothing. Tour of Duty has been a big success and I've written two fan-fic stories, both of which turned out pretty good. This tells me that the problem is not that I lack any inspiration, am unskilled, or even that I'm just naturally a spammer/troll/freerider - the problem is that I didn't know my own limitations. Grendel (or the lack thereof) has taught me this the really hard way, and I'm sorry to have dragged everyone through that nonsense. But, I do hope to make a bit of a turn-around soon. Getting back into Tour of Duty will help immensely, and I'm thinking I might do some more fan-fic writing, if that interests anyone - both of those are things I know I can do because I have done them in the past, and so I don't feel afraid that I'll somehow grow too lazy to do anything about them.

So, in short, I know this won't put things entirely at rest, but I'm hoping that it clarifies a few points and at least helps us all move on for the time being.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

patrick wrote:

Did someone say "physics-based knob-twiddling"?

http://simplici7y.com/items/total-carnage
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Can't we just call Tour of Duty what it is, which is a text-based Let's Play?
irons
Vidmaster

The One wrote:Irons specifically is really pissing me off. I shit all over your clique shabbat.
are you threatening to kill me too
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

To be fair PerseusSpartacus, Rokyo has a point. If you really want to do some type of Let's play, you should try YouTube. A YouTuber already criticized us before. Only way we can reverse people's perspective of this game is if someone makes their own series of Marathon videos. Better yet, you could also convince one of the popular YouTubers (Pewdie Pie, ect.) to play Marathon. That sure to bring us some attention.
irons
Vidmaster

bringing marathon attention only gets us guys like you
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

Fuck you
The One
Born on Board

irons wrote: are you threatening to kill me too
No no no, nothing like that. Let's just say I have a friend here, and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to him. Let's just say his name is "M", and rhymes with Rauvaise.
irons
Vidmaster

and the one who if you remember decided to release 3d marathon and then hid it in the sourceforge labyrinth
irons
Vidmaster

The One wrote:
irons wrote: are you threatening to kill me too
No no no, nothing like that. Let's just say I have a friend here, and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to him. Let's just say his name is "M", and rhymes with Rauvaise.
i watched mauvaise die ok

shes in boston landfill fulfilling her curse
did you say the lords prayer around her burning corpse i doubt it unless your name is alex steve chris or chris
The One
Born on Board

Not this shit again. It's not my fault you don't know how to navigate a website.
The One
Born on Board

Just like Hotmodal, she's not dead.
irons
Vidmaster

they banged