What's your favorite Video editing program?

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm thinking about getting into film and Machinima and bringing my Youtube account back to life.

So what video editing program do you use?
Last edited by TectonInd on Jul 11th '10, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

Minotaur.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:Minotaur.
CAN I GET A LEGIT ANSWER
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

iMovie
ray
Cyborg

GRAVE GRID
Zott
Vidmaster

{All of these are for the Windows Platfom}

Well, Premiere Elements 3 was a really good and full-fledged consumer product. But I believe it has trouble with Vista IIRC (probably Windows 7 too). If you can find it, and don't mind slightly older technology, I'd go with that. [Since Premiere Elements version 4 ran poorly for me, and I didn't really like version 7's new interface.]

I'd also recommend CS3 of Premiere if you want a suite of programs, such as After Effects. As for CS4 Premiere, It also seemed to run slower than CS3 Premiere, and its features didn't win me over. CS5 I can't really comment on, since I haven't used it much, though it seems to perform better than CS4, though I still don't really use the new features for it. [Note the hardware used has changed through my experience with these programs, so they are not set on a standard basis of performance]

I've hated all the Ulead products I've used though it has been more than 4 years since I've touched one of their products, so unless it is Oregon Trail #, it is probably completely different than the dodgy interface/constant 10 minute crashes I faced.

Windows Live Movie Maker is good for basic stuff, and Windows Movie Maker that ships with Vista and below is probably better, but still basic. If you don't really care about layering video clips, then those should be fine for everything that you need to do.

My Conclusion: Download a Trial of each program and see which one you like the best. Windows Live Movie Maker is Free, though the rest are pricier. Therefore, don't buy until you see if you like it or not. Don't be caught with a horrible video editor, you will be spending a lot of time with it. (And more time with headaches if you hate it) Remember, it isn't the editing program that defines the video unless there are features that are demanded. Therefore, even the most basic program could be good depending on your needs. (Just don't put the default Blue Background of title slides from Windows Movie Maker on Youtube.....EVER)
Last edited by Zott on Jul 12th '10, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
TBCR
Mjolnir Mark IV

i use Virtual Dub, Cause i Dont like to Go "Fancy Schmancy"(As My sister Would Call It)
Marathon Speedrun Times: Discord
M1A1 - 26:44 - PB
M2 - 33:52 - PB
M2 - XBLA - 33:00 - PB
M2 - Coop with ApertureGrillz - 27:17 IGT/29:09 RTA - WR
MInf - 13:22 - PB
Minf all main levels - 27:49 - PB
Twitch
The Thug
Vidmaster

MonkeyJam for stop motion. In the rare occurrence of live video, I use WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Zott wrote:I'd also recommend CS3 of Premiere if you want a suite of programs, such as After Effects. As for CS4 Premiere, It also seemed to run slower than CS3 Premiere, and its features didn't win me over. CS5 I can't really comment on, since I haven't used it much, though it seems to perform better than CS4, though I still don't really use the new features for it. [Note the hardware used has changed through my experience with these programs, so they are not set on a standard basis of performance]
Thanks, I tried premiere, and it's great! I might buy CS3, because it looks like it has some really good apps (FLASH :D), but I'm not sure because of the exorbitant costs. I just wish I could run a better version, but I only have 1 gig of ram and a Celeron processor, so I'm a bit limited :P
treellama
Vidmaster

TectonInd wrote:Thanks, I tried premiere, and it's great! I might buy CS3, because it looks like it has some really good apps (FLASH :D), but I'm not sure because of the exorbitant costs. I just wish I could run a better version, but I only have 1 gig of ram and a Celeron processor, so I'm a bit limited :P
4 GB of RAM is less than $100, why would you consider buying CS3 but not that?
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:4 GB of RAM is less than $100, why would you consider buying CS3 but not that?
Good point.

Now I feel stupid