GZMarathon

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
Qweasy908
Cyborg

I would like to have an advanced 3D engine that runs Marathon scenarios with new features.

Unity is what I know right now instead of a engine based in OpenGL.

My portal rendering in Unity is MIT licensed and open source.

https://github.com/huriettic/portalrend ... siblespace

A person with more education and skill could use it to make an advanced 3D engine.

I've shown that it is possible to have different portal rendering do the same as Aleph One portal rendering.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

I sorta was planning on doing a modifiable engine from Unity that can load data and support custom entities but I never could get myself to do it. I'm about to learn to make an editor for my homebrew Xbox engine as a Unity app so if I had less projects going on then I would had helped.
Qweasy908
Cyborg

Meerjel01 wrote: Oct 28th '23, 16:45 I sorta was planning on doing a modifiable engine from Unity that can load data and support custom entities but I never could get myself to do it. I'm about to learn to make an editor for my homebrew Xbox engine as a Unity app so if I had less projects going on then I would had helped.
You're right, it's not enough code for a working FPS game.

A developer would have to make the other systems.

I can make all the systems, then another creator makes the scenario.

MIT license your Marathon scenario so I can use it.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

Qweasy908 wrote: Oct 29th '23, 13:20 You're right, it's not enough code for a working FPS game.

A developer would have to make the other systems.

I can make all the systems, then another creator makes the scenario.

MIT license your Marathon scenario so I can use it.
You mean you're gonna code an engine for Unity and I'll make the assets(Sprites, textures, audio)?
Qweasy908
Cyborg

Meerjel01 wrote: Oct 29th '23, 13:44 You mean you're gonna code an engine for Unity and I'll make the assets(Sprites, textures, audio)?
I'll make parts of the engine I know how to as I've had ideas on how they work.

I don't know how to do Lighting effects.

You can make a scenario when it's more complete.

Release your scenario as MIT licensed with the engine code in a project.

The map converter will be separate with a GPL license as it uses Weland code.

The engine will be MIT licensed so you can use it for a project.
Meerjel01
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well if you want to know light mapping then I can send you a useful link.
Raytracer
I've also done a cutout lit sprite shader that can also rotate on the Y axis with any gameObject components for my games if you want it.
Qweasy908
Cyborg

Meerjel01 wrote: Oct 29th '23, 15:27 Well if you want to know light mapping then I can send you a useful link.
Raytracer
I've also done a cutout lit sprite shader that can also rotate on the Y axis with any gameObject components for my games if you want it.
I need to render sprites without using a shader.

The shader on the sprite object is the clipping shader.

The idea I've had with sprites is the sector draws the sprite for each visible portal and the geometry that rotates with the sprite is gets clipped by the planes.